The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning as I progress

Con/Nicks Journal

Hello everyone, after UtopianHope recommended it, I decided that I would start a journal.
    I guess a little background info on me would be good. My name (as you may have guessed from the title) is Nick. I live in NJ and for as long as I can remember I have been overweight. A little over 2 years ago I started the atkins low carb diet and dropped about 80 pounds. That left me at about the point I am at right now.
    One day I found WBB and fell in love with the site and all the good info. So now I am trying to make sure none of this info goes to waste.

------------------------------------------------------

Stats:
    5'9''
    175 pounds
    Estimated at about 25% BF

Want to get down to about 155 or so and then start bulking.

-----------------------------------------------------

For me, today happens to be a rest day, but when I do workout I will list my exercizes as well as what my diet looks like. Just one question thought, What do the percentage breakdown mean, I see them on fitday but some numbers are in the hundreds. Can anyone explain and ill list them.
    Last edited by Con; 02-12-2006 at 04:22 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey Nick,
    Welcome to Journal land and congrats on the major weight loss!

Either your BF estimate is way high or you have VERY little lean body mass. My suggestion to you is to get lifting heavy (if you aren't already) and eat just slightly below or at maintenance calories.

Good luck with all future endevours! Post up your routine, diet, specific goals, etc!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

no mass for the lazzy ass kartwheel's Avatar
    glad to see that you've taking some steps toward success. nick, i'm going to follow your journal and check in on it. i'll answer any questions you have that i can give you my honest advice about, if you want it. good luck man.

Learning as I progress
    Any and all advice would be great. Ill be sure to list everything I can starting tommorow(hope it wont turn out to be a rest day ).

Deeder, I dont have any calipers or anything, so I tryed to do te next best thing and use the internet, most sites gave me about 25 or 26 % body fat. I heard those sites can be a bit unreliable but Its all I got for now. In my own opinion Id say I was closer to 20 percent body fat, but hey cant tell for sure until I get some calipers.

Thanks for support guys
    Complication breeds desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Con
    For me, today happens to be a rest day, but when I do workout I will list my exercizes as well as what my diet looks like. Just one question thought, What do the percentage breakdown mean, I see them on fitday but some numbers are in the hundreds. Can anyone explain and ill list them.
    I only use fitday to keep track of total calories, grams per fat, protein, and carbs I have taking in. The % is just there to look pretty.

Might also consider posting a picture, people here are really good at getting an estimate at how much bf% you have and giving you an accurate suggestion on what to do.

Congrats on the new journal and goodluck on your journey to a better you.
    Blood, Sweat, and Years (My Journal)

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

Wannabebig Member
    Wow, you did great on losing all that weight. Good luck on reaching your goals.

Learning as I progress
    Ok, well besides having a gay day at school the rest of the day wasnt so good either.
    I didnt get to workout(3rd day resting) so im a little irritated.
    So I will just list my diet. Today was a wierd day, wasnt sure if I was going to workout or not so I had to wait too eat and then I just started eating(kept cals in range tho)

I am about to eat last meal soon and I hope someone will comment on this.
    Since I ate kinda wildy(not measuring things before hand) I can have a choice of eating some cottage cheese before bed and almost 200 grams of protein. Or I can have very little cottage cheese and get cals from PB and have fats a little higher. Without eating this is my breakdown of everything:

Total cals: 1717
    Protein: 168 g
    Carbs: 76 g
    Fats: 71 g

Thanks for any help

EDIT:
    Final macros:
    Calories: 1942
    Protein: 186 g
    Carbs: 84 g
    Fats: 84 g
    Last edited by Con; 02-14-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats on the weight loss so far, that's a big step in the right direction.

As far as your bf%, those internet things are really unreliable. If you belong to a gym, see if they have some calipers there that someone can measure you with, I know my gym has some.

I just use fitday to track cals, fat, protein, and carbs, don't worry about the percentages. As I've learned on this site, just make sure you're getting 1-1.5 g protein per lb and 0.5 g fat per lb minimum.
    Last edited by UMTerp29; 02-13-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Learning as I progress
    I dont belong to a gym so no go on the calipers yet, when I go to the mall next I will see if I can find any.

Btw thanks for that, just wish I knew that last night but now I know. Live n learn I guess. I Did get my minimums so its all good.

Today hopefully will not be yet another rest day so later I will edit in my workout. Thanks for the support

I think I'm around 25% BF as well. Want to race to 15? :evillaugh
    37 y/o, 6'1
    Current Weight: 265 Current BF: 21%+

Online Journal

"Its simple; if it jiggles, its fat" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Learning as I progress
    2 words: BRING IT

Tuesday, February 14, 2006
    Ok Now I will include everything about today. Today I had a normal day, school was not too bad today and no homework. Also since I started a new number of cals so I weighed myself and im now 170 pounds.

I Got home almost knowing I was going to workout, so I am happy since its been three days since the last workout.

I will list workout and then my diet since im starting to forget details about workout.

Workout

Today was chest: Wanted to go a little heavier than a normally do.
    Bench press: 4 Sets
    1st set: 165 x 4(Dad assisted on last 2)
    2nd set: 165 x4(Dad assisted on last 2)
    3rd set: 165 x 4(Dad assisted on the last 1)
    4th set: 165 x 4(Dad assisted on last 1)

Incline: 4 sets
    1st set: 135 x 6(Dad assisted on last 1)
    2nd set: 135 x 6(Dad assisted on 1)
    3rd set: 135 x 6(Dad assisted on last 2)
    4th set: 135 x 6(Dad assisted on last 3)

Decline: 4 sets
    1st set: 135 x 4
    2nd set: 135 x 4
    3rd set: 165 x 4(Dad assisted on 2)
    4th set: 165 x 4(Dad assisted on last 3)

Bench press(close grip): 3 sets
    1st set: 135 x 4
    2nd set: 135 x 4
    3rd set: 135 x 4

Flyes: 3 sets
    1st set: 100 x 8
    2nd set: 100 x 8
    3rd set: 100 x 8

Diet:

Meal 1: 4 eggs
    Meal 2: Beef Jerky and 2 eggs
    Meal 3: Can of tunafish
    Meal 4: Teaspoon of peanut butter
    Meal 5: Cup of corn flakes, half cup of skim milk and half a can of tuna
    Workout
    Meal 6: 1.5 cups of oatmeal, half cup of skim milk and half can of tuna
    meal 7: 1 cup of cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of Natty PB.

Calories: 2211
    Protein: 192 g
    Carbs: 143 g
    Fats: 89 g
    Well that was today. Some things I was wondering about is my meal choices, anything that I shouldnt be eating at a certain time or anything? And another thing I was wondering about was is it okay to eat at like 8:15, then eat at 9:30 and go to sleep? Will that matter since my meals are so close together? Any Advice welcome!

Thanks
    Last edited by Con; 02-14-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Learning as I progress
    February 15, 2006

Kinda sad I didnt get any replies but I will keep going.
    Sadly today is going to be a boring rest day, but hopefully tommorow Ill try to get to a new weight in squats

Todays meals:
    Since I forgot my lunch today I went without eating much except my apple which was at lunch
    Meal 2: Apple
    Meal 3: 4 eggs
    Meal 4: Salmon and cup of Green Peas(forgot how much I love them )
    Meal 5: Salmon and cup of peas(YES!!!)
    Meal 6: Cottage cheese and Natural PB

Final Count up:
    Calories: 1974
    Protein: 188 g
    Carbs: 87 g
    Fat: 95 g

Was wondering if these amount of carbs is ok on a rest day when im doing a carb cycle. Hopefully built or someone will answer before I post my journal entry for tommorow.
    Last edited by Con; 02-15-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Was wondering if these amount of carbs is ok on a rest day when im doing a carb cycle. Hopefully built or someone will answer before I post my journal entry for tommorow.
    Yes, I eat the same total calorie intake every day. Only difference is on workout days I target my carbs around my lift (to take advantage of the workout period). Some people feel they need more carbs so they increase total calories during workout days while decreasing calories during non-workout days (taking from carbs).

Good article on it.

Did you just drop 5lbs in week?..if yes, then increase calories again.
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 02-15-2006 at 05:17 PM.

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

Learning as I progress
    Interesting read, and learned some new things. Was wondering about a couple things(since I can ask w/e I want, since this is my journal). What is dextrose and Maltodextrin? Where can I get certain oils(fish, flaxseed, etc) and are they expensive?

Also the carbs I ate today were are fruits and veggies, was wondering if going a little bit higher in total amount was ok.

And lastly I didnt lose 5 pounds, after making a thread about how I lost 8 pounds in one week of cutting, I got that It was probably mostly water weight, so I rounded up and said I was 175.
    When I started new number of cals I weighed myself for reference and it said 170.

Thanks for the reply utopian

no mass for the lazzy ass kartwheel's Avatar
    man i wish i could make myself eat cottage cheese. god i can't stand that stuff. i also have a problem eating anything "fishey", other than tuna. i've been trying to learn to eat salmon. i need it. good job con.

Interesting read, and learned some new things. Was wondering about a couple things(since I can ask w/e I want, since this is my journal). What is dextrose and Maltodextrin? Where can I get certain oils(fish, flaxseed, etc) and are they expensive?
    Brewery factory or online (online is where I found mines). It cheap as it corn sugar for dextrose.

Sadly At Large does not provide the product.

One website online: http://www.1fast400.com/

Also the carbs I ate today were are fruits and veggies, was wondering if going a little bit higher in total amount was ok.
    As long as you meet your protein and fat intake the rest you decided where you want to put it (Built profile explains the requirements). I haven't done the math my self (get back to you on that one).

And lastly I didnt lose 5 pounds, after making a thread about how I lost 8 pounds in one week of cutting, I got that It was probably mostly water weight, so I rounded up and said I was 175.
    When I started new number of cals I weighed myself for reference and it said 170.
    Was making sure to make you aware to stick to around 1-2lb losses, I am not certain what happens if you loss rapid weight as this diet is not design for that.

Thanks for the reply utopian
    Your welcome, also must tell you. If you are looking for a lot of people to visit you must add some sort of entertainment value. There is a lot of online journals and it can take a while to go through all of them so people are selective.

Edit: Some people don't recommend dextrose while cutting as they prefer to eat the carbs (more filling). To each their own, I enjoy putting 3 tablespoons (makes my shake go down better).
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 02-15-2006 at 06:36 PM.

-Hatred

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by kartwheel
    man i wish i could make myself eat cottage cheese. god i can't stand that stuff. i also have a problem eating anything "fishey", other than tuna. i've been trying to learn to eat salmon. i need it. good job con.

I didnt like it either at first, but when you are always thinkin of food it grows on you, with some cinnamon, and some sweet n low it goes down ok.

About the fishey stuff, you dont like sardines?

And what about oils? where can i get them from? how muhc are they? and what do they do?(always see people including them in their diet)

Learning as I progress
    New day, new journal entry

February 16, 2006

Legs day, unfortunately the rack I use is limited with the exercizes available, so no leg curls or extensions.

Workout

Squats: 6 sets
    185 x 8
    205 x 4
    225 x 2
    235 x 1
    245 x 1(Personal Best)
    185 x 8

Weighted Calves: 3 sets
    185 x 20
    185 x 20
    185 x 20

Lunges: 3 sets
    For this I have a quarter in each of my hands and then just lunge.
    50 x 12
    50 x 12
    50 x 12

Diet

Meal 2: 2 Hardboiled eggs
    Meal 3: TunaFish and 2 Hardboiled eggs
    Meal 4: 3 table spoons of Natural PB(Love my PB)
    Meal 5: 1 Cup of corn flakes, half cup of skim milk, and half cup of cottage cheese
    Meal 6: 1.5 cups of quick oats and half cup of skim milk
    Meal 7: 1.5 Cups of cottage cheese and 2 teaspoons of Nat PB

Final Stats:
    Calories: 2225
    Protein: 182 g
    Carbs: 146 g
    Fats: 91 g

Some things about today. Not sure if my leg workout was ok, I feel it in my legs but I only did three exercizes and I wish my stepfather would let me do more reps at the higher weights, but I think hes a bit paranoid.

Overall a good day. Still wondering about them oils, I guess ill do some google searches.
    Last edited by Con; 02-16-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Learning as I progress
    February 17, 2006

Decent day at school, not much homework and did something different today.

This morning I did pilates(thought it would be interesting) since Im working on leaning out and Ive heard that pilates are great when it comes to strengthening muscles and giving that long lean look.

Was wondering if anyone has done them before and if they are worth the time?

Also If anyone know about calisthenics and how they react with muscle repair, maybe hey could take a look at this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75284

Something else different also happened today. 2 guys from the military came to my school(which is why I was wondering about the calisthenics) and worked us out, was fun and a little bit exhausting.

Today happens to be a rest day so just my diet today.

Diet

Meal 2: Can of tunfish
    Meal 3: 2 hardboiled eggs
    Meal 4: 2 fried eggs and 2 tablespoons of Natty PB
    Meal 5: Tablespoon of Nat PB, tangerine and .75 cups of peas
    Meal 6: Cup of corn, Can of tunafish and tablespoon of Nat PB
    Meal 7: 1.5 cups of cottage cheese and 2 tablespoons of Nat PB

Calories: 2001
    Protein: 179 g
    Carbs: 89 g
    Fat: 100 g

I know my diet is very similar from day to day but it works. Im still working on gettin those oils, and are there any recommendations on which of them to use?

Also my wiegh in after a week on these cals is coming up, so I hope to have good news.
    Last edited by Con; 02-18-2006 at 04:51 AM.

Congrats on the squat PR

This morning I did pilates(thought it would be interesting) since Im working on leaning out and Ive heard that pilates are great when it comes to strengthening muscles and giving that long lean look.

Was wondering if anyone has done them before and if they are worth the time?
    I would suggest there being nice looking ladies for me to do such a thing. You get lean as you drop the weight/fat and stretching increases flexibility. Now whether you enjoyed doing pilates is up to you (optional). I have no experience in it myself as from what I read it appears like yoga, when in doubt turn to google (make sure to question the information you recieve).

I know my diet is very similar from day to day but it works. Im still working on gettin those oils, and are there any recommendations on which of them to use?
    I like olive oil, peanuts, and natty peanut butter.

List
    Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive oil, Safflower oil
    Flaxseed oil
    Fish Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 02-18-2006 at 10:38 PM.

-Hatred

Learning as I progress
    Journal entry for today and yesterday.

February 18, 2006

Day from Hell...for several reasons.

Several Reasons:
    -DOMS
    -Sick(extremely congested)
    -Headache
    -Overall bad mood
    -Had to MOVE my entire house

Needless to say I was not happy yesterday, especially since I couldnt workout. I also had to deal with the temptation of fast food for the 3rd time in 3 days. But through it all I help true to my diet.

Diet
    Meal 2: Can of sardines
    Meal 3: Can of Tuna
    Meal 4: 3 hardboiled eggs
    Meal 5: 3 hard boiled eggs
    Meal 6: 3.5 cups of green beans( )
    Meal 7: apple with 2 tablespoons of Natty PB ad 1.5 cups of cottage cheese

Stats
    Calories: 1979
    Protein: 177 g
    Carbs: 87 g
    Fats: 111 g

Overall a gay day, just happy I could resist temptation.

February 19, 2006

Day from hell part 2!!!!! Had to get up early on the coldest day of the year and move more ****. Good things was my DOMS in my legs has worn off and I felt quite a bit better(still a bit congested tho).

Workout day!!!

Workout

Shoulder Presses: 6 sets, 3 front, 3 behind
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    115 x 6
    95 x 10
    95 x 10
    115 x 6

Upright rolls: 3 sets
    95 x 8
    95 x 8
    95 x 8

Dumbell presse: 3 sets. Did this with made up dumbells with 15 pounds on each side
    dumbell x 6
    dumbell x 6
    dumbell x 6

Shrugs: 3 sets
    205 x 8
    205 x 8
    205 x 8

Diet

Meal 2: Can of olives and can of chicken breast
    Meal 3: flounder fillets and 2 tablespoons of Natty PB
    Meal 4: Chicken sandwhich
    Meal 5: cup of quick oats and skim milk
    Meal 6: corn flake and skim milk
    Meal 7: cottage cheese

Stats:
    Calories: 2268
    Protein: 206 g(has some chicken breast but dunno how many ounces so I estimated on how big it looked)
    Carbs: 148 g
    Fats: 85 g

Gotta get better form with the dumbells. I also found out what flaxseed looks like and what it has in it(kinda obvious after I think about it). Gonna see about ordering it soon.
    So today was better, hopefully tommorow will bring some weight loss.
    Ill be sure to fill you guys in.
    Good night.
    Last edited by Con; 02-19-2006 at 07:46 PM.

moving sucks it through me off my whole diet and weight lifting right around christmas. good work on keeping it together. Just because you didnt workout doesnt mean you didnt burn cals. you were still moving **** around.

Diet looks good, just wait and see the weight will come off.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Learning as I progress
    Another 2 day Journal entry

February 20, 2006

Rest Day! Gotta get used to these since when I can workout depends entirely on my stepfather, also gotta get used to the fact he dictates what body part we workout that day.

Diet:

Meal 2: Orange and Green beans
    Meal 3: Flounder fillets and flaxseed oil
    Meal 4: Flounder fillets and 2 eggs
    Meal 5: Can of tunafish and 2 tablespoons of natty PB
    Meal 6: Salmon
    Meal 7: Slice of roast beef, cup of carrots anf cup of green beans
    Meal 8: Cup of cottage cheese and an apple

Calories: 1854(little lower than I wanted, shooting for 1900 on rest days)
    Protein: 181 g
    Carbs: 103 g
    Fats: 82 g

Not too bad of a day.

February 21, 2006

Workout day. I wanted it to be a back day, but almight stepfather had one word for me when he came home: "arms". And you can refer back to what I said earlier about my stepfather.

Workout

Curls: 3 sets
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10

Tricep Presses: 3 sets. About these, My arms are the weakest part of my body and that was really shown here when my stepfather constantly helped me after the 3rd rep.
    85 x 6
    85 x 6
    85 x 6

Curls: 3 sets
    95 x 6
    95 x 6
    95 x 6

Tricep Presses: 3 sets. Since the weight was higher you can imagine this was substantially harde, couldnt do even one without stepfathers help, so arms are definately the thing to work on.
    95 x 2
    95 x 2
    55 x 8

After this we did some inventive things my stepfather does called hammers and kicks. Supersets of 3.

Weighted cruches: 3 sets of 20

Diet

Meal 1: 2 eggs and an apple
    Meal 2: Cup of carrots, flaxseed oil and tablespoon on Natty PB
    Meal 3: Olives
    Meal 4: Chicken breast
    Meal 5: Chicken breast and tea with skim milk
    Meal 6: Tuna Sandwich
    Meal 7: Quick Oats and skim milk
    Meal 8: Cottage cheese

Calories: 2090
    Protein: 176 g
    Carbs: 141 g
    Fats: 83 g

Pretty good day but I hate having my mom cook a lot of food and its hard to measure so I really cant eat it, ohwell I gotta do what I gotta do. Learned not to eat so many calories in the earlier part of the day, becuase it becomes gay when you gotta balance things out whe you really need the cals(Protein is a little low for a workout day). I did ok tho and it all turned out fine.

About my weight, I will go another week with a hundred less cals on workout and rest days and se how that goes.

Thanks ddegroff, Im hoping for the best next week. Just one thing I was wondering about, should I count splenda or sweet n low as cals?

Good Night!
    Last edited by Con; 02-21-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Con

Nice work on the squats! I used to get severe DOMS from squats when I first started doing them, but now it is mild and lasts maybe a day at most. Also you have an excellent format going on for the journal. I need to start keeping track of my meals.

So how is the weight loss coming along? I have read that you should not lose more than a pound or two a week or it could be lean mass along with fat. At my height, 6'3, and weight, 234, I maintain at around 3500 calories calories. I usually will never go lower than 2500 for a cut and usually stay around 3000.

Anyway good luck and thanks for visiting my journal too.
    HardToSquat's journal.