The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How do you stay focused?

What is it that drives you guys to keep working out week in and week out? Maybe I'm a weak individual, but I hate to think that. I get into a workout routine for a month or so and it's like I don't see results as fast as I'd like to so I go back to my old unhealthy ways. My question is like I said above, what is it that drives you to get into shape? What are YOUR personal reasons? I'm looking for something to get a drive going inside of me that I haven't been able to find. Post away

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is nothing anyone will say that will change your habits. The drive comes from within.

For me, I finally figured out how to grow my body. The key was eating tons. Since I figured this out, I have enjoyed weight lifting so much more. It truely is addicting to watch yourself change shape and lift numbers that you always wanted to lift. Every goal I reach, I continue to want more. That is what drives me.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

depends on your goal.

i myself want to shred fat and gain lean muscle mass. so far, its been working out pretty well. i usually check out www.animalpak.com for motivational pics and watch few powerlifting clips to get me amped up. even music helps.

if your not noticing results, then you must be doing something wrong. enlighten more on your diet, exercise, and whatnot and maybe someone here can spot the leak for you

Quote Originally Posted by JDN
    What is it that drives you guys to keep working out week in and week out? Maybe I'm a weak individual, but I hate to think that. I get into a workout routine for a month or so and it's like I don't see results as fast as I'd like to so I go back to my old unhealthy ways. My question is like I said above, what is it that drives you to get into shape? What are YOUR personal reasons? I'm looking for something to get a drive going inside of me that I haven't been able to find. Post away

When the diet and the training get dialled in, you really, REALLY get results.

Whey they aren't, you don't. That's where people get discouraged.

But success - ahhhh... that's MOTIVATING!

How about you post up what you're doing. I bet we can help you get some sweet results that will keep you going.

Quote Originally Posted by JDN
    1st figure out what your goals are. You need some goals before you can get results. Once you figure that out, then you can design a sort of "plan of attack".

The majority of the time people don't see the results they want has to do mainly with what they eat, and how much or how little.

You are what you eat
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

its really self determination and addiction, just wanting to lift more and look better, along with loseing fat, well in my case.
    2000 or bust

In my experiece, alot of people are trying to get in shape for the wrong reason. They want to "pick up chicks", "please their wife/gf/bf/dog", "look like the person on some magazine". You have to lift for yourself, because you want to do it. The fire must burn in you. Do it because you want that 350lb piece of steel to be your bitch.
    Nick V

Take a picture of yourself... worked for me... o and when someone twice your age looks twice as good as you... umm no names.... umm Built
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Time for the "What separates us from them" thread.... Works everytime

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=separates

pretending someone will jump me in a dark alley one day and that i'll be needing the power to karate chop his windpipe!

Here's a good motivational quote too.....

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

Henry Rollins

If you want motivation you have to believe in yourself. I figured out I am in control, and I can get the results I want. I know it isn't a waste of time.

You need patience. Imagine what you'll look like in a year from now, it WILL be worth it, you'll feel great.

For me it's so I...

* feel confident naked, or in shorts
    * feel strong
    * can zip up stairs without getting tired
    * stop the trend of getting fatter every year - so when I'm 40 I am not obese
    * have the power to really make the earth move, in bed
    * have something enjoyable to do, working out is a buzz, and quality "me" time

The list goes on... it all adds up.. Mainly of course it's so I look and feel attractive, both for myself and the lucky members of the opposite sex.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

For me, its a combination of how I feel when I wake up, how I look when I look at myself in the mirror and how I enjoy life so much when I'm fit and healthy. Goals help keep me at the gym day in and day out.. but nothing is more motivating that waking up feeling great and then realizing that you are one of the minority nowadays that look great too.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

It's not hard to stay focused when you do something you enjoy. Sure, there will be times when other things in life take priority ... kids, house, injury, etc. But if you truly enjoy lifting, it's not really a question of whether you'll stick with it or not.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I totally agree with Anthony. If you really love it, you'll find a way to stick with it. If you absolutely hate it, then it's gonna be pretty hard to force yourself to lift each week. It's a lot better to go into the weight room with a good clear mind and attack the iron with everything you have, rather than going in half-assed and not accomplishing anything.

If your not feeling great about yourself though, just look around at other people. There's always gonna be that day when you wake up and feel small and weak. All I gotta do is look around at all the other guys in school and then realize, "Wow, I am pretty dang big aren't I?"
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Saturday night I took advantage of my muscles to end a fight before it started and I ended up having my friends gf try to come on to me. Kinda helps me remember why I do this in the first place.

Yup, im the same i enjoy going and dont like to miss it what so ever. I dont like taking rest days even tho i know their good for me. Another form of motivation i have is ive always been overweight and even tho my bf isnt that low after my bulk now im cutting and now that i can get my bf lower than its ever been which is motivation in itself
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Banned
    After you stay focused for a while, its kind of like you Have to go the gym, like it turns into 2nd nature after a while.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the many different types of comments. I like the quote you posted geeper. By reading some of your reasons for wanting to be fit I see that I have the same reasons as some of you like wanting to look better naked. I'll admit that a lot of it has to do with looking better for other people, almost like wanting to be "eye candy" for the ladies. I guess that's more of just a benefit, but shouldn't be one of my main reasons for lifting. Thanks again for all of your posts. Keep them coming - I'll get a new thread up soon of what I DO personally so you guys might be able to tell me why I'm not getting the results I want

Without clear, quantifiable goals I would not train consistently PERIOD. Having numbers to hit by a certain time or at a meet make all the difference to me. If it weren't for meets, I'd probably still be satisfied benching 135 and squatting 225 for high reps.

I love tracking my numbers, if you're competitive within yourself, this is the best motivator. Always track your weights.

HILL you hit one of my main reasons. I've always had too much body fat, well, for my liking. I am increasing muscle mass, so eventually, my natural bodyfat level (where my body is comfortable) will be lower due to an increase in resting metabolism and testosterone.

Find your reasons, challenge yourself.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

is way too skinny!
    "Are you on Steriods?" - Thats what keeps me going. People who haven't seen me in a year look at me now and are amazed at the growth!

I look at the sheets of the weights I lifted when I first started in May.. 95 lb squat 115 lb bench..

Then I look at what I am hitting now: 225lb Squat , 225lb Bench Press, 275lb Deadlift, etc. I feel like I have accomplished something extraordinary.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough