Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny Dude Tries to Get Stronger

Monday Jan. 13

3x10,10,12 back Squats: 160 lbs.
    3x12 RDL: 150 lbs.

3x10,10,6 Chin ups: Bodyweight
    3x8 Bent Rows: 50 lbs. dumbell

3x16 rotator cuffs
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Wednesday's Workout Feb. 15/06

3x12,10,9 Flat Bench: 125 lbs.
    3x8 Dips: +45 lbs.
    4x12,12,7,6 Skull Crushers: 30 lbs.
    3x8,12,12 Dumbell Flyes: 25 lbs. dumbells

3x8 Side bends: one 60 lbs. dumbell
    3x12 Hanging knee raise

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Get rid of that "Which Ill probably never reach" in your sig line. You can and will do it. You sound like me...and we dont need another one of those around here
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Yes Sir ! .... AND DONE!

Thats more like it...I was 135 when I started lifting waaaay back in early 2003. I got upto 170lbs, just eating like crazy and doing heavy compound exercises. Bench, Squats, Lunges, BB Rows, DB Rows, and Deadlifts. Then I slacked off Then I broke my clavicle last October. So I was at 150lbs. Right now Im at 157 and going up. Better meet me there soon.
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Hey man, finally another reply from someone else reading my log, hehe. Anyways if your still reading this (or anyone else), is my progress a little slow or what?.... A decent progress at least, or maybe it seems like I'm undertraining ?

I must add another leg movement on monday.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 02-17-2006 at 04:38 AM.

If youre not happy with your gains as of now try two things....

1. EAT MORE! Even if you think you're eating enough. You're not if you're seeing gains in weight/power. Food fuels everything you do and since you're a skinny ass like me. You need to eat a ton. Keep track of cals and try to get 1.5g of protein for pound of bodyweight. If you can get some protein and weight gainer. Tuna is a great/cheap source of protein. Drink a ton of milk (chocolate if you want, I hate regular milk). But keep it consistent...get your daily eating routine down and itll start adding up.

2. Change your routine. Im no expert, but this is what has worked for me. Here is what you should have somewhere in your routine. Bench, Squat/Leg Press, Rows. Well here is my routine....

Day 1- Bench Press, Pushdown, Vertical Press, DB Extension, HS Press

Day 2- Low Row, DB Row, DB Curl, Single Arm Low Row, BB Curl

Day 3- Leg Press, DB Lunges (Key!), Leg Curl, Leg Extension

Day 4- Shoulder Press, DB Shrug, Shoulder Raise, BB Curl,

I do these at 3x8...Im also rehabbing my broken clavicle so its a little different from what I used to do. No squats or deadlifts. You may want to consider those two exercises.

then rest for 3 days, but still eat like its my job. Any other questions let me know...or someone who knows much more than I will stop in and set me straight.

If you start eating like a madman (and doing it consistently, that is key) and lift consistently...you WILL see gains.

Lol, hehe I wasn't expecting more advice. But yeah... thats the main problem for me. Others who are familiar with me in the forums probably know it's probably the 100th time that they've heard me say I can't eat properly.

BTW I workout at home.

You can eat properly...its just a matter of doing it, and getting set in a routine. Once you get going you'll be fine...oh add bananas to your diet. About 100 cals per and their good for you!

If you workout at home...make due with what you can. What kind of setup do you have? Or is it possible to join a gym?

Yes, I work out at home...can't go to the gym, I will get performance anxiety. I have a bench at home, which I can also use as a squat rack. I could switch the rack backwards. That and I have a barbell, and an ez curl bar....obviously some plates Gotta invest in a new olympic set though. But wait a min, that's okay cause I'm still struggling with small weights so that's not a problem as of now.

Saturday's Workout Feb. 18/06

10x2 Speed Deadlifts: 140 lbs. 1 min rest each set.
    10x2 Speed Squats: 110 lbs. 1 min rest each set.

3x12,7,8 Military Press: 80 lbs. ( ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? )
    3x8 Side raise: 20 lbs. dumbells
    3x10 Front Raise: 10 lbs. dumbells (WOMEN CAN DO THIS !!!!!!)

3x10 barbell rows: 120 lbs.

****I really want to add more back exercises, the only thing I've been doing is bent over rows.

You need to break up your days man....back/bi, chest/tri, legs...add a fourth for shoulders or something if youd like. Dont worry about performance anxiety in teh gym. Its about you and your self improvement. Dont worry about how much your lifting, worry about making steady progress week to week. The numbers will add up, and if you do it right, in a month youll be very impressed with yourself (depending on EATING right and LIFTING right).

Yeee-haw I got called in at work, no Squats today... weeeeee. Can I get a whole bloody ****ing month of a steady schedule... ? damn.

Okay, whatever... I didn't become lazy. I had about 3 hours to get a workout and a meal in. More than enough time.

3x12 Back Squats: 160 lbs. Nice, confident in 170 lbs. 3x8 next week.
    3x8 Romanian Deadlift: 160 lbs.
    3x8 Front squats: 90 lbs. I gotta practice that olympic lift to get into front squat position, proper bar placement, all that crap...(right wrist hurting).

3x10 Dumbell Bent rows: 50 lbs.
    3x10,8,6 Chin-ups. Bodyweight only. Seriously, I don't know.

Oh god.... I'm going to orgasm whenever I do 200 lbs. 3x8 on squats.

Good work on the squats! 200 should be coming up in a few weeks if you stay consistent. Just make sure you clean yourself up.

oh yeah stop by my journal! Pog Mo Thoin....(thats the name)

Oh heck, what a crap day. Wednesday's WOrkout Feb. 22/06 All reps have decreased except the benching.

3x12,12,9 Flat Bench: 125 lbs.
    3x10,7,8 Dips: +45 lbs.
    3x12,10,6,6 Skull Crushers: 30 lbs.
    3x12,10,12 Dumbell Flye: 25 lbs. dumbells

2x15 Hanging Knee raise

I didnt bother to finish off with Side bends. Alright, maybe i should just stop for a while. I think I'm just wasting my own time, and other people's time, and aswell as web space on the forums (lol...)

It's pretty pathetic it's been a while and I still can't rep out my bodyweight on the bench which is 135 lbs.

Listen up! It can and will be done...you just have to put the effort into it. That means eating right, and eating alot. Trust me, I did it @ 135lbs...you can do it too. Dont give up, bc I want to see you make the progress.

Maybe you should consider changing your routine? Let me know if I can help.

Friday's Workout, Feb. 24/06

Back/shoulders

6x3 Conventional Deadlift: 250 lbs.
    3x10 Barbell bent over rows: 120 lbs. *added +5 lbs on last set.
    3x8 Good mornings: 110 lbs.

3x8,10,8.5 Military Press: 80 lbs. *How come my military press won't ever increase??
    3x6 Lateral Raise: 20 lbs. dumbells
    3x10,12,12 Front Raise: 10 lbs.

From: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=280rotator2

3x8 Cuban press: 35 lbs. *I really don't know how to do these properly... Need to more information.
    3x8 L-lateral raise: 10 lbs. dumbells
    2x12 Side Lying Dumbbell Abduction to 45&#176;: 5 lbs. dumbell
    1x15 on this one other rotator cuff lift: 5 lbs. dumbell.

EDIT> Forgot to add that I also did these:

2x10 Bicep Curls: 25 lbs. dumbell
    3x15 Barbell shrugs: 140 lbs. Woooh CHEAT CHEAT CHEATED...
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 02-25-2006 at 11:06 AM.

I might do some more research on types of lifts I can do. I might stop for 1-2 weeks, and re-arrange my workouts then start again.... I *MIGHT*..

No need to stop...youll lose progress/time. Just eat more...and maybe cut back a little on the lifts. Try 4-5 types of exercises per day. Doing each one in sets of 3x8...so maybe Barbell Rows would look like this:

125x8, 125x8, 125x8

Then maybe DB Rows?

40x8, 40x8, 40x8

Try that out for a bit...cant hurt and for teh bulking you want lower reps/higher weight from what Ive learned.

Yeah, thanks for suggestions. I'm also going to switch my benching with 5x5...if I still not gaining... then obviously I'm going to have to eat more, and that is the MOST DIFFICULT for me to commit.

Most difficult and most important!

For bench Id recommend staying with the 3x8, or what I found effective for building strength (back when I had real bench numbers) was doing a reverse pyramid on the bench or other core lifts.

Basically increase weight/decrease reps....like this:

135x8, 145x6, 155x4, 165x2

or however youd like to do it....keep at it man. I want to see some numbers and eating in here!

Monday's Workout, Feb. 27/06

3x8,8,10 Back Squats: 170 lbs.
    3x10,10,8 Romanian Deadlift: 160 lbs.
    3x8,10,10 Front Squat: 90 lbs.

Chinups: 3 sets of 8,8,6 Bodyweight only.
    8,6,5 Bicep Curls: 25 lbs. dumbell

Rotator Cuffs.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 02-27-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Squatting and Deads=Pow3r!

Good work man. Dont know what a "Romanian" Deadlift is, but keep at them.
    How do you do the Front Squat? I never tried it.