The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

DB Squats and BB Hack Squats

Would these be sufficient to use instead of BB Squats? Last time I did BB squats my shoulder dislocated. The combination of the weight of the bar on my shoulders and my albows being cocked back behind my back (which put the shoulder in optimum position to come out the way it does) just made it slip out of socket easily and then it's a trip to the emergency room because nobody can seem to get the damn thing back in without drugs to relax the muscles...

So would these be just as good?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It sounds like you need to learn how to squat. First, the bar should be low on your traps. I'm not quite sure how it would dislocate your shoulder unless you have a medical condition. Second, your elbows should not be behind your back. That will encourage leaning forward which is a no no.

If you still can't squat with these two modifications, you could do the exercises you listed. Look into zercher squats as well.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I do have a condition where my shoulder dislocates. Surgery didn't help even. I can yawn and stretch and it comes out. On one occasion, I sneezed while cooking and pop! It came out. It wasn't the first time it came out when I was doing squats... It had come out about 20 times before then. It has gotten a lot better since I've been training and built more muscle up around it.

While I agree that I didn't have the form down perfectly for the squat, the weight being pushed down on that area is enough to force it out. It sucks... I hate it. However, I need to do squats.
    Last edited by intargc; 11-01-2005 at 09:11 AM.

I'm wondering if you'll have the same problem holding weight in your hand.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

You should look into surgery. Guy on my hockey team had his shoulder dislocate so easily that just putting on the pads could do it. He went in, had surgery (lost a season) and now he is right as rain. Just a thought.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

Anthony: No, it won't because my arm isn't in as awkward a position as it is by holding the bar steady on my back/shoulders. Fortuantely, I just have to be careful on how my arm is positioned. Even having my elbows straight, it still tucks the shoulder back and exposes it for dislocation with the added weight. When the arm is down or straight forward, it's not as vulnerable. Trust me here... I've literally had it dislocated 20 times now. I know exactly what makes it pop out.

Miker: Surgery helps some people, but not all. It didn't help me, it didn't help my father and it also didn't help my good friend. Yes, I know a lot of people that have their shoulders dislocated. I don't want to go do it again... Afterwards it's 6 weeks with my arm taped to my chest and I'm a programmer and it's about impossible to write code all day with one hand and it's even more impossible to bench with one hand.

I would not be working out without a shoulder brace on in your condition. Have you tried squats on the Smith machine? You would barely need to use your arms at all.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

I haven't tried squats on the smith yet. I've always stayed away from the Smith machine because it always seemed to not be such a natural movement for me. If that would be better than doing DB Squats or Hack Squats, I can try that...