Thread: rotator cuff

Wannabebig Member

rotator cuff

I think I may have torn my rotator cuff, I been doing the exercise where u lie on ur side and lift a weight up along ur side for a wile but it hasn't helped. Anyone know good strengthening exercises?

Are you hurting? If so, you're still at the first stage: ice/heat, rest. Have you been seen by somebody to diagnose what the problem is? Here's something I posted awhile back, based on my own experience with a rotator cuff injury/ impingement syndrome:

Maki's probably got more training on this than me- I'm not an orthopod. What I learned about impingement syndrome was not from med school but from reading/ talking to orthopods, DO's and PT's when I got it myself. Assuming that you've had this looked at by a professional whatever with experience in the subject, here's my two cents' worth. This is not exhaustive, but the main points are here.

1) Stop lifting at least until you're not having pain at rest. If you try to train around the injury you'll probably continue to have the pain for however many months it takes you to get tired of the pain and stop lifting. Ice if acute injury (no longer than 20 minutes at a time), heating pad elsewise. NSAID's religiously.

2) Don't sleep on that side. For me the pain was worst when I first got of bed in the morning. If you sleep with someone else consider changing sides of the bed to let you sleep on the other shoulder. Make sure your pillow doesn't need to be replaced.

3) You're basically on track about the chest/back muscle imbalance. Stretching maneuvers to stretch the pec major, pec minor, latissimus. L-flyes with light weights (as long as not painful) to strengthen the external rotators. There's exercises for internal rotation as well, but most people don't have a problem with strength in that direction.

4) Here's the fun part- deciding what exercises you can and cannot do once you resume training. Assuming you have an impingement syndrome you need to avoid motions that put pressure on the subacromial bursa and/or supraspinatus tendon. You'll get lots of input here from many lifters regarding what they can/cannot do. It probably depends on your individual anatomical layout in the shoulder. You'll have to figure out for yourself what to avoid. There are several exercises that get implicated frequently (Remember, I'm not definitely telling you that you will not be able to do these). Anyway, here's some of the alleged villians in no particular order:

Upright row
    DB fly
    Overhead press
    Lateral raise with upper arm higher than parallel to the ground
    Forward raise
    French press/ skull crusher
    bench press

Probably more, but I can't think of any right now. Most of these put the shoulder in extreme internal or external rotation. Some prople have problems with curls (but this may be more of a problem with the biceps long head tendon rather than impingement).

You'll probably also find some people with problems with rows, shrugs, just about any movement that uses the shoulder. That leaves you with leg exercises, ab work, passing gas, and drinking with a straw!!! Good luck with your problem.

You might do an Advanced Search on "rotator cuff" and "impingement".

i tore my left rotator last yr and had impingment issues for months afterwards get a good exercise list and do it faithfully if you sleep on it your fucked so dont also i found once i woke up and ran water over it and it loosend a little i felt less pain. I never used heat but iced it 3-4 times a day and took gluclosimine for 6 months

of coarse if you got a tear they will cut your ass first mine was a thumb size tear according to my doc
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Bammer, did you have a repair done? Open or arthroscopic? I'm glad I've been able to deal with my problem without surgery. Surgery = A Good Thing only when you're pitching, not catching. How long did it take you to recover and what % are you compared to before the injury? I can't remember if we talked about this before in Chat.

yeah delphi i stared lifting weights becasue my therapists was a buffed cuss

i have no ill effects after a yr and a half
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

white trash goes north WilliamX's Avatar
    kingpin I tried to do a search on yahoo
    +"rotator cuff" +exercise
    it shows A LOT of links.