Thread: Scapular instability

Scapular instability

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of scapular instability? I have chronic shoulder pain and I am trying to figure out what is going on. I do not have a rotator cuff tear, but I do have tendonitis in my rotator cuff. My thought is that the rotator cuff tendonitis is a secondary result of scapular instability. If anyone has experience with this or can offer some advice on some exercises/therapy I would greatly appreciate it!

Prune
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Do they wing out? What exactly do you mean by scapular instability?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

A physical therapist explained the concept to me when I went in for my strained cuff. It has to do with the tendons (or the cuff even) being damaged and not holding the shoulder in place like it should. So it's an unstable shoulder. I don't know any treatments, but that's at least one cause.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Do they wing out? What exactly do you mean by scapular instability?
    They do not wing out...at least not a lot if they do. Also, it is only a problem on my right side. I don't think the weakness would be great enough to have any implication unless resistance is applied (as in weight training). By scapular instability I mean weakness of the muscles that stabilize the scapula, especially the protractors (trapezius and serratus ant. mm). Maybe a weakness could be exacerbated by an imbalance of strength between back and chest muscles?

It's tough to say without seeing a picture of your back and front or actually seeing you.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Lower , mid traps , rhomboids and serratus anterior should be strengthened so that scapular rotation and retraction become better. As a result scapular alignment should improve.

Sorry I can't be of much help.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 11-02-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Thanks Maki. What sort of exercises are good for strengthening the serratus ant?

Some great exercises would be to lie over a physioball on your stomach/chest with very light weight in your hands. Perform what are called Y's, T's , W's, and L's. Its kinda hard to explain how to perform these, but they are called these bc their positions actually simulate their deisgnated letter's. I.e.- to perform W's, you will have your elbows at your sides with your hands near your shoulders when you retract your scapulae.

The main focus here should be on scapular movement, do not swing the weights up or use too heavy a weight b/c then you might get substitutions and take away from the targeted muscles.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 11-03-2005 at 08:59 PM.

And for the serratus anterior, you can perform pushups with a plus; or any exercise that demonstrates scapular protraction against resistance (i.e.- lay on an incline bench with dumbells and arms extended like you just did a bench press, and protract scapulae (bring your shoulders forward in the direction of your face).

Thanks rp41. I think I will try some of your suggestions.

No problem, let us know how you make out.