View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut the horns off, put it on my plate

26 15.48%
  • Medium rare

61 36.31%
  • Medium

43 25.60%
  • Medium well

33 19.64%
  • Throw it in the fire, call me in the morning

5 2.98%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steak

Steak

How do you like your steak done?

How often is it done right?

I'm actually posting this out of frustration. I'm sitting in my room at a Marriott right now, and I'm probably 0 for my last 10 with restaurants getting my steak right.

I always get it medium and the damned thing is bleeding in front of me. I guess it is cool now to under-cook steak. It pains me to order it medium-well, but apparently that is the only way I can get a medium steak in today's world.

I'll read replies as soon as this bastard stops mooing at me.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Well done BABY!@#!@
    "Geneing Leans Green"

I prefer medium rare. If i cook it myself it usually ends up very well done and dry as hell, because i suck.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 11-03-2005 at 07:13 PM.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Medium rare. Juices are good, but mooing is bad.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Banned
    i prefer it medium, but voted medium rare because most places overcook their steaks unless you're at a nice restaurant where what you order is what you get

medium rare is the way to go
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

My dad (former cook at Steak & Al) told me that there were an astronomical amount of people who requested their steak raw- fully raw. It was store policy to sear each side for a moment, but it was basically cold meat.

I go medium rare.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

the key to ordering out is to ask for it more done than you want it.

i always say medium, because i know it will get to me medium rare or rare, which is how i like it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Steak will keep cooking on the plate for a minute or two after it's done.

When I make steak at home, I make it EXACTLY the way I want it to be after resting for a minute, then slice it up thin to keep it from cooking any more. I serve it like sliced roast beef. Easier to eat that way anyway.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I don't usually order steak unless I am at a restaurant which ought to know their steak, that way I get exactly what I ask for. I have rarely been dissatisfied with my steak.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I make the best steak I've ever had. I almost never order them when I'm out, unless I'm out of town and don't have access to a kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    the key to ordering out is to ask for it more done than you want it.

i always say medium, because i know it will get to me medium rare or rare, which is how i like it.

Exactly - normally, to get a medium steak, I have to order medium well.

However, the only two times I've ordered medium well, I've gotten a medium well steak.

Again, I made this post out of frustration. Maybe a Marriott employee will read it and correct the problem.

I thought about calling room service and sending the steak back after I had eaten 95% of it, but it would have been pissed on and returned to me.

Steak ordering tip: Ask the server how pink or red the various levels of doneness are.

When I go to Outback, and ask for medium, most of the time the server says that it'll be more red than pink inside. And I say that's very okay.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

BTW: If anyone gets a chance to go to NYC and you like steak: You MUST get a reservation at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Best steak in NYC. Period.

if you can't get to NYC, at least get their steak sauce. usually in the meat section rather than on the shelf with A-1 et. al.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

i like my steak rare but get it medium rare at some restaurants. many places here tend to overcook the meat.

Medium rare every time. Then again, I almost never order steak in a restaraunt. Last one I had was prime rib at a wedding in NOTL at the Queen's Landing. Asked for medium rare, got it and loved every melting meat moment. Then I ate my wifes and my cousins. That was some fantastic prime rib. Damn, I'm drooling just thinking about it.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

I like medium or medium rare. I got steak tonight -- order medium -- and it was overdone. I hate that. I guess I typically like medium-rare, but I hate to get a really rare steak; I'd rather order medium and get it medium-well, I guess.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Supreme Champ
    i prefer it to still be walking
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    im a medium to medium well guy, most places cook it like I like it at medium well, some pink without the raw flavor and still juicy. Also I like if a place marinates steaks then rubs them slightly I like for the flavor to dance upon my tongue, so a marinated steak cooekd medium well and rubs witha bit of seasoning with some potatoes is heaven
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I don't think restaurants know anything but: medium-rare and well.

That's all I ever see.

Myself - I like it more rare than they're willing to bring to the table. I like it quite cool on the inside.

I can't see ruining a good piece of meat by turning it into rubber - nor can I understand people that smother their steak in sauce.

Don't even get me started on fish. Every place overcooks their fish and puts some lame seasoning on it. If I order a tuna steak, just bring me the fish with a tiny bit of lemon and salt on the side. Go to hell if you can't.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

The best steak I've ever had was in Bangkok. It was perfect. and it didnt hurt that it cost ~ 1 US$

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    The best steak I've ever had was in Bangkok. It was perfect. and it didnt hurt that it cost ~ 1 US$
    So what DOES a dog steak taste like?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

pffft...fyi it was a cat.

still good though

Medium for me.....but it's rarely cooked correctly.

One place that every steak-lover should visit before they die: Pappas Steakhouse in Houston, TX. They always get it right....and the service is incredible.

To this day, I've never eaten at a Ruth's Chris. Any experiences there?
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin