Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Herself

What do you think?

Here is my routine for a typical week. Please look it over and let me know what you think. FYI, my goal is to burn fat and maintain my lean mass and not necessarily to build. Also keep in mind that I've only been doing this for about a month. THX!

Monday

Morning:

Chest - Incline Barbell Press - 15 reps @45 lbs
    " " @ 47.5 lbs
    " " @ 50 lbs
    " " @ 52.5 lbs

Triceps - Close Grip Push-Downs - 15 reps @ 20 lbs
    " " @ 22.5 lbs
    " " @ 25 lbs
    " " @ 27.5 lbs
    Abs - Floor Crunches - 5 sets of 50

Afternoon:

20 Minutes of cardio - brisk walk

Tuesday

Morning:

Back - Wide Grip Pull-Downs - 15 reps @ 30 lbs
    " " @ 35 lbs
    " " @ 40 lbs
    " " @ 45 lbs

Biceps - Hammer Curls - 15 reps @ 7.5 lbs (I know, I'm weak!)
    " " @ 10 lbs
    " " @ 12.5 lbs
    " " @ 15 lbs

Lats - Floor Crunches - 5 sets of 25, each side

Afternoon:

Wednesday

Morning:

Afternoon:

Thursday

Morning:

Quads - Leg Extensions - 15 reps @ 20 lbs (both legs)
    " " @ 25 lbs
    " " @ 30 lbs
    " " @ 35 lbs

(My cousin, who is a paramedic, says he doesn't recommend squats, unless you use a machine, because they don't isolate the muscle and they put too much strain on the lower back. What are your thoughts on that?)

Hamstrings - Leg Curls - 15 reps @ 10 lbs (both legs)
    " " @ 15 lbs
    " " @ 20 lbs
    " " @ 25 lbs

Afternoon:

Friday

Morning:

Shoulders - Seated Dumbbell Press - 15 reps @ 7.5 lbs
    " " @ 10 lbs
    " " @ 12.5 lbs
    " " @ 15 lbs
    (note - if I try to lift more, I have severe joint pain in the shoulder - rotator cuff?)

Calf - Angled calf raises W/ barbell - 15 reps @ 45 lbs
    " " @ 50 lbs
    " " @ 55 lbs
    " " @ 60 lbs

Afternoon:

Saturday

Morning:

Afternoon:

Sunday

NOTHING!

Re: What do you think?

cherryswitch-
    What is your height/weight and age? Just wondering.

Originally posted by cherryswitch
    Monday

Morning:

Chest - Incline Barbell Press - 15 reps @45 lbs
    " " @ 47.5 lbs
    " " @ 50 lbs
    " " @ 52.5 lbs

* I would suggest dropping the incline barbell press and incorporating weighted dips or flat barbell/dumbbell presses. Incline barbell press is more of a delt-press rather than a chest movement. I would also suggesting to switch your reps to around 6-10 rather than 15, unless your training for endurance.

Triceps - Close Grip Push-Downs - 15 reps @ 20 lbs
    " " @ 22.5 lbs
    " " @ 25 lbs
    " " @ 27.5 lbs

* I would suggest again lowering reps, and maybe use a basic tricep exercise. Like lying ez-curl bar ext.

Afternoon:

* Maybe try AM cardio before your first meal and see how that works for you. I believe that AM cardio helps you burn off fat more than afternoon / night cardio does. Just my opinion.

Tuesday

Morning:

Back - Wide Grip Pull-Downs - 15 reps @ 30 lbs
    " " @ 35 lbs
    " " @ 40 lbs
    " " @ 45 lbs

* Maybe try a more basic movement for your back like deadlifts or bentover rows, or maybe even wide-grip pullups istead of a machine exercise like your doing. Again change the reps.

Biceps - Hammer Curls - 15 reps @ 7.5 lbs (I know, I'm weak!)
    " " @ 10 lbs
    " " @ 12.5 lbs
    " " @ 15 lbs

* These are fine I guess.. I would suggest trying to incorporate standing bb curls as well though. Also lower your reps.

* Lats? Floor crunches?.. crunches are for your abs not for your lats.. lats are pull-ups, pull-downs, rows, etc.

Afternoon:

* Try AM.

Wednesday

Morning:

Afternoon:

Thursday

Morning:

Quads - Leg Extensions - 15 reps @ 20 lbs (both legs)
    " " @ 25 lbs
    " " @ 30 lbs
    " " @ 35 lbs

* Try a more basic exercise like squats or leg presses and try and add leg ext. after the basic exercise... also get your reps down.

Hamstrings - Leg Curls - 15 reps @ 10 lbs (both legs)
    " " @ 15 lbs
    " " @ 20 lbs
    " " @ 25 lbs

* Maybe try stiff-legged deadlifts for your hamstrings.

* Again floor crunches are NOT for your lats.

Afternoon:

* Try AM.

Friday

Morning:

Shoulders - Seated Dumbbell Press - 15 reps @ 7.5 lbs
    " " @ 10 lbs
    " " @ 12.5 lbs
    " " @ 15 lbs

* This is fine, just lower reps.

Calf - Angled calf raises W/ barbell - 15 reps @ 45 lbs
    " " @ 50 lbs
    " " @ 55 lbs
    " " @ 60 lbs

* Higher reps for calves are fine in my opinion.

Afternoon:

Saturday

Morning:

Afternoon:

Sunday

NOTHING!

Herself
    I'm 5'5", 235 lbs (down from 252) 33 years old. I also had a baby a little over 4 months ago.

cherryswitch-
    Seriously though bro.. take what I said seriously along with what other members here say. You are very overweight considering your only 5'5".. I am not trying to rub it in or make things worse. Just being honest.

Herself
    You said - "Seriously though bro.."

How can I be a "bro" if I had a baby 4 months ago?

You said - "take what I said seriously along with what other members here say."

You said absolutely NOTHING. You merely asked me for information.

You said - "You are very overweight considering your only 5'5".."

Hello? WHY do you think I bust my butt 6 days a week? And it's "You're", not "your".

You said - "I am not trying to rub it in or make things worse. Just being honest."

If pointing out the obvious ever becomes an olympic event, you will do your country proud.

Now, Do you have any USEFUL feedback regarding my ROUTINE or are you just using this thread as an outlet for your stupidity?

cherryswitch-
    Hey my bad my bad. Relax though you seem like your stressing out over nothing at all. I thought you meant that your wife had a baby a few months ago and you were helping her through the pregnancy. If you look through my first reply and where I quoted your routine I posted comments after most of your exercises. But I was thinking that you were a guy looking to get in shape and maybe gain some muscle my fault.

Herself
    I think I clearly stated in my original post that I wanted to burn fat and retain my lean mass, but thanx for the apology. I guess I am a little stressed out. I am working really hard to undo years of damage and having good results, I think. (17 pounds of FAT loss in a month looks pretty good to me). I can handle positive criticism, but you really seemed to be lashing out. But we're cool now, K?

Also, I did read your comments. The weight-lifting routine was designed by a personal trainer. What is the specific benefit of lowering the number of reps? Will this burn more fat? I have to walk in the afternoons, because I have only a limited amount of time each morning, with a young baby to care for. My rationale is that cardio in the afternoon is better than no cardio (this being confirmed by a personal trainer). Point taken on the lats issue.

*adds monstar to ignore list*

cherryswitch,

You've come to the right place. Start yourself a journal in the online journal section. There are plenty of people here to help you. Good Luck

Herself
    Thanks, Fart! (that sounds kind of funny, eh?) Anyhoo......can you critique Monstar's critique and explain why he says to lower my reps? Or is he on your ignore list for misinformation?

cherryswitch-
    My fault seriously Im sorry. I did read it wrong. You were right with your reps. A 15-rep range for you is still off though. Again I am sorry for the miscommunication.

Like Fart Barker said it would be a good idea to start a journal in the Online Jounrals section.

Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-01-2002 at 11:00 PM.

Hopefully I don't get the same lashing Mons did for voicing my opinon here, but here's my thoughts on the matter.. I like the four day split for the lifting and what groups you've got it split into. Now, my thoughts time:

Your cousin was right on squats not really isolating, as they work a lot of major muscles at once, but seeing as you don't really go into a lot of different exercises, I'm not sure this is something you don't want to do. Watch weight and form and you shouldn't have a problem with the lower back. Also, warm up and stretch before doing them IF you decide to do them. (Note: If you look at a lot of peoples' routines, you'll notice they do an exercise at the beginning that works the whole area and then go into more isolate exercises..)

Cut back the ab work into once or twice a week. I'm thinking what you meant by lats was obliques (sides) just because of the 'for each side'. Also, you might consider doing them with weights, and doing less reps. (Abs and obs are a muscle like any other group.. You wouldn't train legs five times a week... (just showing the logic))

Another thought is to switch the lifting into the afternoon and the cardio into the morning. Cardio done on an empty stomach can have better effects, and if you're like most people, you might find that you need to be a little more awake to get the most out of lifting. I don't know if that works for your schedule or not though.

The higher reps, I'm hoping someone else will address.. I know they are for endurance, but at the same time I'm not really sure that's what you want to do.. I can tell you this much, lower reps will help you build muscle (you won't get huge. It's hard to do as a male (I'm trying) with a good load of test) and the increased muscle will boost your metabolism (muscle burns more calories) and help you lose weight. Also, if the high reps came from the old wives tale of 'low reps = big muscles | high reps = toning', then forget about that..

I wish I could express myself more, it's just right now my mind is burnt (late last night) and I wanna say so much in a single post.. so I'm probably not covering any of it in enough detail..

B.
    LaLa

Anyhoo......can you critique Monstar's critique and explain why he says to lower my reps? Or is he on your ignore list for misinformation?
    15 reps builds muscular endurance, but if you don't have much muscle in the first place, that won't help much.

Lowering the reps is dead on in your situation. And as Nights said, you won't get "too bulky." You don't have to go super heavy, but 6-8 would be a good start. Once you've built up some muscle tissue over a month or two, then you can start on the endurance training.

Why do I say this? Because the preferred fuel of muscle tissue at rest is fat. More muscle is more fat you'll burn every minute of the day. Building a foundation of muscle is the first step to losing fat.

Second to that should be the endurance work. That can be done either with longer sets, or with shorter rests between heavier sets. The latter would be my choice for training while cutting, as it burns more calories and is more effective for overall fat-burning.

Cardio should be a mainstay during the entire routine. 20-30 minutes three times a week should be more than enough when combined with proper weight training.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Regarding # of reps-
    Lower rep ranges (1-6) are usually used for gaining strength and higher ones (9-15) are usually recommended for hypertrophy (increased muscle size). It's possible to gain considerable strength without gaining much muscle mass. On the other hand, a woman is not going to get muscle-bound by doing high reps unless she takes anabolic steroids. (Old wives' tale #1)

One of the most effective ways of losing weight is to increase the basal metabolic weight (BMR). Numerous studies have shown that gaining some lean muscle mass is a more effective way to increase the BMR than doing aerobic exercise. (Old wives' tale #2) It's good to do the cardio, but in my opinion your best bet for losing weight centers on gaining muscle mass, which would be better done with high rep ranges, not lower.

Regarding exercise selection-
    Squats do not isolate the quadriceps muscles. They're considered a compound exercise, not an isolation exercise. This is precisely what makes squats a SUPERIOR exercise to leg extensions. Squats and other compound exercises raise the BMR worlds more than leg extensions and other isolation exercises ever dreamed about. They're also superior for gaining overall muscle mass, which also leads to an increased BMR. (Old wives' tale #3)

Squats, as well as any other exercise, can lead to injury if done incorrectly. Leg extensions cause knee pain in some people, and lots of people squat successfully without injury. Leg extensions are a fine "finishing" exercise for professional bodybuilders who need that last little bit of sculpting for competition. You would do much better all around to learn how to do squats and other compound exercises (squats, deadlift variants, pressing and pulling movements) from someone knowledgable in their technique. (Old wives' tale #4)

Regarding your overall plan-
    I think you'll get lots of motivational support and useful workout and nutrition here on the board. You're in for a long haul, as is everybody else here. Everybody's goals are different, but they all require dedication and patience for success. Look around the different forums- Training, Nutrition, Online Journals.

Specifically you should look at Celestial's journal. She's celebrating a one year anniversary of sorts. Last year she was where you're at now. She has stuck with it for a year now, and is doing a GREAT job. You might PM her if you have specific questions. Good luck to you. See you around.
    Last edited by Delphi; 01-01-2002 at 11:11 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I would switch the cardio to morning before eating or anything else and workouts to the afternoon. cardio in the morn always worked grat for me as far as lbs lost.

well i was gonna get in a tizzy, but instead...listen to monstar, nights, delphi and dl. they pretty much said what i would say.

and squat.
    Last edited by Tryska; 01-02-2002 at 07:22 AM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Cherryswitch, congrats on your baby! Also, congrats on deciding to become more conscious of your body. Right now I think you are micro-managing things. The fact that you are becoming much more active will suffice I think for now. In many cases, I can even use myself for an example, you try to make too many changes at once and it can get very frustrating. You don't need to keep on tweaking your workout right now. From what I see it looks fine and more importantly would be the question, "are you comfortable with it?" Sure you could adjust your plan all day and maybe make it 10% more effective or something but if you aren't comfortable with it and start skipping days how much will that help you then?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about diet in here. Maybe you started a thread in the diet section but I'll ask you here what your basic eating habits are like. I'm guessing you are getting back to normal after having the baby...

Diet is probably the most important thing for you to work out right now, although again too much change at once is probably going to be too much. Make subtle adjustments on a weekly or monthly basis. Just cutting out excess sugar can have a dramatic effect within a short period of time. Anyway there are better people than I to give diet advice, or if you browse through the diet forum there are plenty of good threads.

I second the online journal as it will keep you focused on your goals and keep track of progress. Simply coming to this site will help you stay motivated as the topic will be at the forefront of your thinking.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Monstars comments on your routine were all right on.
    6-10 reps, deadlifts squats flat bench...
    to kill some confusion Lats http://www.exrx.net/Graphics/LatissimusDorsiSide.gif

obliques
    http://www.exrx.net/Graphics/ObliqueSide.gif

take a look around on www.stumptuous.com, its a great site for beginning lifters to understand why to do what etc.
    This site will show you clearly how to do your exercises, i recommend you read through the articles on all exercises you do.
    Form is the main thing to effective lifting.

Do you work to failure? (use the max amount of weight you can possibly use to complete your set number of repetions with correct form) if not you should.

Also do you have a diet? Diet is definetely going to be the main thing for you right now. how about you post your diet in the diet ad nutrition board?

Ideally you would do cardio 3 or 4 times a week for about 30 minutes.

"(My cousin, who is a paramedic, says he doesn't recommend squats, unless you use a machine, because they don't isolate the muscle and they put too much strain on the lower back. What are your thoughts on that?) "

Squats dont isolate the muscle but do you want to isolate the muscle? why?

when correct form is used and you warm up properly the lower back will be in no trouble whatsoever.

Herself
    If I were to change my reps to, say, 8, would I still do 4 sets or would that change? Or should I go back to the BFL 12-10-8-6-12-12 set? I have 140 pounds of lean mass. To me, that seems like a lot, for 5'5". I know that I do have larger than average muscles, under all the fat.

As far as diet, this is a typical day (I say typical because I usually eat the same thing every day) Eating is something that I used to enjoy. Now it is something that I HAVE to do every 2 or 3 hours. I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 cups of water, upon waking.

within 30 minutes after work-out:
    Oatmeal with cinnamon and splenda (1/4 cup oats, when measured dry)
    1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    2 cups of water
    I take EFA's with the morning meal.

10:a.m. - ish:
    Myoplex light shake made with 2 cups water - I kinda like 'em and they are quick and easy to consume while working

12:30 p.m. - ish:
    Whey protein shake (30 grams) made with 12 ounces of water
    1 can of green beans
    1 med apple - usually Figi
    1 cup of water

3:00 p.m. - ish:
    Another Myoplex light shake with 2 cups of water

I try to take my walk at least 2 hours after eating -
    2 cups of water right after the walk

6:30 p.m.:
    Palm-sized salmon filet, baked
    1 fist sized sweet potato (sometimes brown rice or whole wheat pasta)
    1 Can of green beans (or asparagus)
    2 cups of water

8:00 p.m.:
    Another Myoplex light shake with 2 cups of water

If I get hungry right before bed, I might eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese.

I don't use salt or artificial butter of any kind. I use Ms. Dash on the salmon, with the juice from 1/8 of a lemon.

That's pretty much it.

So, what do you think? Too much? Not enough? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Herself
    On another note, I was told by the Sales Rep at the Fitness Gallery that lifting weights boosts your metabolism for almost three times as long as cardio. He also gives personal training sessions, so I'd say he knows what he's talking about. If this is true, then wouldn't it be more practical for someone who wants to burn fat to do the weight lifting in the morning? If not, it would not be a problem to flip-flop the two. In fact, it might work into my schedule a little better.

You got me on that one. As far as the BFL routine, my wife tried to do it and it was too much for her to finish a workout. I think she was trying to do three lifts for each muscle group. It wore me out just watching her.

4 sets is okay. but 3 is better.

why so much fake food? or rather reliance on shakes? why not real food? are you going to be drinking that many shakes for the rest of your life?

and the personal trainer, DESPITE the fact that he's a gym sales rep, is right. If you have the time and the energy to lift in the morning, go for it. just don't do it on an empty stomach.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Herself
    why so much fake food? or rather reliance on shakes? why not real food? are you going to be drinking that many shakes for the rest of your life?

Did I mention that I'm a field service technician and that I spend 9 (sometimes more) hours a day behind the wheel of a van? It's much easier to get the calories from shakes than to prepare and cart around enough "real" food to eat every 2-3 hours. Besides, I don't think I would want to eat meat that has been in a vehicle (even a cooler) for 7 hours. As a single parent, I can't really afford to eat out every day, either.

and the personal trainer, DESPITE the fact that he's a gym sales rep, is right. If you have the time and the energy to lift in the morning, go for it. just don't do it on an empty stomach.

BFL (my jumping-off platform) recommends workouts on an empty stomach. Should I be eating breakfast before the work out, or do I have enough lee-way, calorie-wise, to drink a protein shake before the workout? All this conflicting information is so confusing.

Don't worry...you can eat after your workout...tryska will say what she says...and most of the rest of us will disagree with her. You will lose some musclemass as well but in your case I think you are more concerned with weight loss in general, so losing some muscle along with the fat should be expected.

Do your cardio in the morning...when you wake up your body won't have much fuel from carbs, so it will use fat as the next preferred source of fuel...when you weight lift it's better to have some carbs if you can so that you have more energy to make your lifts.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 01-02-2002 at 07:32 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

He also gives personal training sessions, so I'd say he knows what he's talking about.
    LMAO
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock