Thread: Deadlift Variation Question

Deadlift Variation Question

At my gym there's a monstrous black guy from Jamacia. He's not too huge (probably 5'10", 195lbs, 7% BF) but he looks amazing. He doesn't train legs, but this year he has begun to do deadlifts -- but they're strange. He keeps the BB between his legs when he deadlifts, and uses a mixed grip. The most I've seen him do is 2PPS for a decent amount of reps. I asked him why he does them like that, and he said it's because doing them that way also hits the biceps. I'm somewhat incredulous. On the other hand, the guy has been training forever, looks amazing, and is a fitness major.

Ever heard of this deadlift variation, know it's name, think it's crap? I'm curious.

-- Mike
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Not that I have the answer, but can you describe it a little better? Does he face one side of the bar, or stand in a normal facein position, but has one leg in front and one behind it? His answer SOUNDS feasible..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Basically:

Imagine yourself standing in front of a loaded BB.

Step over it with one leg, about a foot and a half or two feet.

Your overhand grip would be on the side where the leg is behind the BB, and your underhand grip would be on the side where the leg is in front of the BB.

You alternate the stance/grip on the next set.

Make sense?

I gotcha..

I'm trying to imagine if that position frees up the arms more by allowing more ROM for the shoulders, or something..lol

I'm also trying to figure how he's working his back like that, or is he?

It's almost like a behind the back deadlift, but the weight is going to be basically centered. What the hell is he working like that? It seems like it would NAIL the quads.. It might even be harder on the traps...

I'm losing myself here..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

isnt that like a rack pull or i can remember the name of it. Maybe t bar or something along that line.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    I asked him why he does them like that, and he said it's because doing them that way also hits the biceps.
    Don't standard deads hit your biceps? I'm fairly certain they do.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

3:16
    i think i know what the exercise is.

Its nothing special, I would still go for curls for biceps.

if your squating, deadlifting etc. then no need for a exercise like this.

tim - dead do work your bicep a little. its more a static hold than anything. if you are doing pull ups, rows, curls. The deads will make very little difference to your bicep.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    tim - dead do work your bicep a little. its more a static hold than anything. if you are doing pull ups, rows, curls. The deads will make very little difference to your bicep.
    That's what I figured. I couldn't see this guys variation doing anything more for your bis than regular deads. Definitely not as much as the exercises you listed.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

sounds like the jefferson lift

Eat and eat and eat and... ThatSkinnyGuy's Avatar
    http://www.chap.com/288b256.htm <--- Jefferson Lift.

I'll admit, I've never ever seen this before.
    It turns out the answer to every question is still deadlift and eat.

Looks stupid to me.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    Looks stupid to me.

i agree. if you really want biceps, try pull-ups with falms facing toward and curls.

Those are seriously homo gay.

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSkinnyGuy
    http://www.chap.com/288b256.htm <--- Jefferson Lift.

I'll admit, I've never ever seen this before.
    It looks similar, but quite different. The BB stradle is completely off, and this guy is using 215 LBs.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    It looks similar, but quite different. The BB stradle is completely off, and this guy is using 215 LBs.
    So instead of the bar pointing in line with your eyes, it is perpendicular, right? I still don't understand how it hits the biceps. Even veterans make mistakes sometimes with new exercises.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    So instead of the bar pointing in line with your eyes, it is perpendicular, right? I still don't understand how it hits the biceps. Even veterans make mistakes sometimes with new exercises.
    That's correct. Your shoulders are are not rotated (or at least, not much) from their natural position. If I see him doing them again, perhaps I'll ask him. He's kind of a prickhole, but -- then again -- so am I.

Or something.

I still don't see how it's any better than a conventional deadlift, though he does the movement very quickly. My presumption is that he wouldn't do the exercise if he didn't feel like it was working. I can't stress enough what good shape he's in (basically, imagine a somewhat smaller, black Chase, minus the legs), and he seems to be doing the exercise "correctly" as far as I can tell.