Thread: Plateau'd out on 20-rep squats...help!

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Plateau'd out on 20-rep squats...help!

Evening all,

Don't post much except an occasional progress report, but I've run into a snag and could use some advice.

I've been following a classic 20-rep squat routine for several months now. It's worked like a charm...I've added 20 pounds of bodyweight...but I've unfortunately hit a weight-gain and poundage-increase plateau.

I know what the bodyweight problem is...due to the fact I have a very busy life (Marine Corps reserve, full-time school, full-time job), I'm not able to take in the amount of calories I really need. That's something I need to solve on my own.

However, I've decided to give the 20-reppers a rest, and try something else. I'd like to stick to a similar program to what I was doing (that is, the squats, light pullovers, then 3x12 behind-the-neck-presses...Joe Hise's original routine); just mix up the rep/set scheme with the squats a little.

I've considered two options...continue at 180 pounds (what I'm stuck at with the squats), and force out 2 x 15, or perhaps increase the weight (to about 200) and go 5 x 5.

Which of these two options is most likely to add bulk? I'd like to try heavier weight and go for the 5 x 5, but I'm told higher reps are better for bulking work.

Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated. And no, I do NOT do the bench press...I simply don't like it, and to be frank, my chest has expanded quite nicely with the squats and pullovers.

Thanks,
    -puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

20 rep squats are asinine IMO.

You may want to try something like 3x6 for working sets if you feel the need to grow. Eat ALOT if you wish to bulk up, preferably high protein foods that take a while to digest. Poultry, beef, eggs, cottage cheese and even some whey protein would help here.

Whoever told you higher reps are better for bulking is wrong, because it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by SW; 11-04-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield

You may want to try something like 3x6 for working sets if you feel the need to grow. Eat ALOT if you wish to bulk up, preferably high protein foods that take a while to digest. Poultry, beef, eggs, cottage cheese and even some whey protein would help here.

Whoever told you higher reps are better for bulking is wrong, because it doesn't matter.
    A lot of very big people have gotten that way through 20-rep breathing squats.

I personally like lower reps myself, but don't discredit a good breathing squat routine.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

I love my 5x5! Squats, deads, benches, shoulder presses, rows and auxilliaries. Who needs anything else!?! (rhetorical, people)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Many top lifters recommend a 20 rep squat. It's done this way. Take the top weight you can do for 12. Do your 12. Then instead of racking the bar, stand erect and breath deeply. Do this until you are ready for another rep. Continue in this way until you have hit 20. Training in this way is VERY hard and will add mass. Many big "old-timers" credited this exercise as the main key to their size. The bottom line is that 20 rep squats (the breathing version) have proven their worth. They work.

Thank you for that bit of information ExtremeAnabolic. I like to learn this stuff. I took it as if he were going 20 straight reps with no breaks.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Thank you for that bit of information ExtremeAnabolic. I like to learn this stuff. I took it as if he were going 20 straight reps with no breaks.
    Well, sort of. You don't get to put the bar down, so it's not much of a break.

It's closer to a Doggcrapp rest-pause than anything else. Dante (Doggcrapp) uses 20 rep squats in his routine, incidently. Doggcrapp is probably one of the most effective mass-gaining systems I've ever seen for an advanced lifter.

-galileo

Give them a try. Real butt kickers and I think there excellent GPP.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

How many sets would you do of these 20 rep sets? I would assume just the one, but I could be wrong.

Yeah. If you can do more than one then you weren't going hard enough.

-galileo

Never knock twenty rep squats until you've tried them. Hardest thing ever done.

That said, if you've hit a plateau, chances are its time to change what you are doing. Mostly if you've been doing it for a few months. Try lower reps for a while then go back to it in a bit.
    LaLa

Quote Originally Posted by puny_ectomorph
    Evening all,

Don't post much except an occasional progress report, but I've run into a snag and could use some advice.

I've been following a classic 20-rep squat routine for several months now. It's worked like a charm...I've added 20 pounds of bodyweight...but I've unfortunately hit a weight-gain and poundage-increase plateau.
    Here is the first problem IMHO. You need to try something different.

I know what the bodyweight problem is...due to the fact I have a very busy life (Marine Corps reserve, full-time school, full-time job), I'm not able to take in the amount of calories I really need. That's something I need to solve on my own.
    Getting your life as organized as possible will help. You're way too busy for any wasted time.

However, I've decided to give the 20-reppers a rest, and try something else.... I've considered two options...continue at 180 pounds (what I'm stuck at with the squats), and force out 2 x 15, or perhaps increase the weight (to about 200) and go 5 x 5... Which of these two options is most likely to add bulk? I'd like to try heavier weight and go for the 5 x 5, but I'm told higher reps are better for bulking work.
    Changing to 15 reps is not much of a change. Try heavy, low reps for a few weeks and then go back to high reps if you want.

Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated. And no, I do NOT do the bench press...I simply don't like it, and to be frank, my chest has expanded quite nicely with the squats and pullovers.
    Bench press is a great exercise. Do you HAVE to do it? Of course not. But, you're leaving a great exercise out of your arsenal IMHO...

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    I appreciate the responses all. The favor seems to be with the 5x5. I'll give the lower reps a shot for awhile and see what happens.

As for the 20-rep squats, I'm not going to debate their effectiveness...I've been convinced. However, change is part of the game. I look forward to the next cycle with them.

As for bench press, I understand it is a good exercise...but one, I'm sort of a traditionalist, and I follow the principles of the early 30's and 40's, before the bench was invented (My heroes are guys like Joe Hise, Peary Rader, Mark Berry, etc...Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler and all those other freaks make me genuinely ill). Also, being blessed with long arms, I've never found the movement comfortable, and have walked away from many a bench set with acute shoulder pain. I have absolutely nothing against the exercise itself...it's just not for me.

Thanks again,
    -puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

20 rep squats are great, but they will eventually zap you mentally (or physically).

Switch over to a 5x5 routine and your squat will go up once again.

*read this thread*

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68772
    Last edited by Manveet; 11-05-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

J.C. Hise was a very impressive man.

Have you built a "hopper" yet?

Anyway, your lack of progress on the squats is more a function of food intake than anything else. If you don't have the time to eat you can certainly find the time to drink whole milk. Drink as much whole milk as you can stand and stick with the program. You will grow.

If you insist on switching then it would be a nice change to drop to lower rep training for a period of time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Yeah, it really just comes down to the cal intake.