Thread: Handstand pushups

Handstand pushups

Hey does anyone here know how to do handstand pushups? The proper technique and such

I have a flat spot on top of my head from trying one of those
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

Work on handstands first; work up until you can support a handstand comfortably for a little while, about 15 seconds. For balance, do them against a wall: face the wall, bend over and put your hands down about 12" from the wall, and kick your legs up.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Work on handstands first; work up until you can support a handstand comfortably for a little while, about 15 seconds. For balance, do them against a wall: face the wall, bend over and put your hands down about 12" from the wall, and kick your legs up.
    I do mine the other way: face AWAY from wall, and about a foot (actually about 8 in) from wall and do handstand with straight body and then let feet and legs drift back to wall.

Make sure you wear socks only so the feet can slide against the wall easily.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    I do mine the other way: face AWAY from wall, and about a foot (actually about 8 in) from wall and do handstand with straight body and then let feet and legs drift back to wall.

Make sure you wear socks only so the feet can slide against the wall easily.
    Um, well, before you do the handstand, you're facing teh wall. After you kick up, you are indeed facing away from the wall.

Like in this tutorial:
    http://www.beastskills.com/Handstand.htm

and...
    http://www.beastskills.com/Handstand...20beginner.htm
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 11-03-2005 at 08:07 PM.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    What do these work? Are they a decent sub for chins?

Quote Originally Posted by Addam1125
    What do these work? Are they a decent sub for chins?
    Seriously, take a look at the motion. What direction is the resistance? What muscles are used?

HSPUs are a bodyweight version of a shoulder press.

You are probably thinking of reverse pushups where you lay under the bar in a smith machine and pull yourself up.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.