The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Trying to get back on a routine...need help

Here is my situation...I used to play football about 1.5 ago, and just worked on strength, and was never really "cut", now I'm a freshmen in college and have cut my weight from about 205 to 170 and now, I'm also 6'0''. I had extra weight as I played linebacker and needed to be around 200 lbs. So I've cut down while lifting on and off the past year. Ready to get back in a routine. I dont lift with anyone so doing things like sqats etc are out of the question. I lift about 4 days a week, tues-friday, as sat and sun are filled with football on tv so dont have time. Currently on tuesday I do like one core exercise with each body part. Wed=chest and tricepts, thursday = bicepts/back friday=shoulders/legs.

Now is this a good style of work out? I do about 3 sets 8-10 reps of each, dont really alter the weights during sets like I used to do. I'm not trying to get huge or toned just in the middle. One thing that bugs me is my weightroom doesn't have much variation, I do the same 4 excercises with each body part each week and your supposed to switch up the workout right, so you dont get to used to doing the same thing over? Any help would be appreciated on if my assesment of my workout is right.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

nah you can do every exercise.. if you dont ahve a partner, jsut ask someone to spot for you .. usually people are glad to do it

i kind of feel that your workout is too close together and that you should look at WBB routine # 1 for a good solid routine.. tweaking it as you need

all of the exercises in the routine require only dumbells or barbells and benches
    and a rack.. which should all be in your gym.. well maybe not the rack. but yea the only exercise i see in it that you might not have in your gym would be one for calf raisers and leg curls.

hope that made sense.. i jsut got off a 8 hour shift at work

anyway later and good luck
    I don't have time. I make time.

Yea i know what you mean about the too close thing. But here is my situation, I dont have time on weekends, but they are filled with football...I know that sounds kinda lazy but it's true. I'm a football fanatic so i can't really give that up, but after football seaon I will definatly adjust. We have one good calf machine in my gym, I usually do that then afterwards just do one leg calf raises by standing there usually about 20 reps. 3 sets.

The Animal
    You either do it.. or you don't .. You either dont lift @ all.. or give it your all.. doing it half way is just a waste of time with very little benefits. I am also a football fanatic, but i mean comeon you cant devote an hour before football starts to lift ? If you can't I seriously wouldnt even go to the gym because it shows ya devotion to the gym.. non-existant.

And if not a " Gym " than exercise in general
    Last edited by xlaw42; 11-05-2005 at 10:08 AM.

I go 4 days a week, I'm in college and on friday and sat nights I stay up late so getting up before the games start is another task on its own. I'm lifting 4-5 days a week on the weekday, that seems pretty sufficient.

The Animal
    Every night i'm up till like 12-1 and i get up @ 9 to lift.. not very hard.. and for almost 2 years i did full time college, full time work 40+ and 15 hours in the gym.. and i still had time to have a social life.. so dont give me the excuse of not having time if you are going 4-5 times a week than u should be in shape by now or know what you are doing

You say you go to bed at 12-1, in my college town people dont even start going out till 12. But your opinion has been looked at, and I guess we just dissagree.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    You say you go to bed at 12-1, in my college town people dont even start going out till 12.
    I used to be like that too... Since I've been getting more serious about lifting I haven't been going out so late. It messes up my sleep schedule and my diet. I haven't drank in over a month now. I don't miss it because I am seeing gains in my lifting that I wasn't making before.

Bottom line is, if you want to meet your goals you have to be more serious about it than saying you'll go tuesday to friday. You ARE NOT giving yourself enough recuperation time going 4 days in a row. If you absolutely can't get to the gym on saturday and sunday. Then try monday on, tuesday on, wednesday off, thursday on, friday on.

Also, doing cardio on the off days is a good idea. So get up that hour before the game starts and take your ass for a jog
    Last edited by deeder; 11-05-2005 at 02:46 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

It sounds like you're pretty dedicated. Good luck with that.

Even if your doing the routine i'm doing where I have one day that is just one lift per body part, then the next 3 days are 2 body parts per day and not doing the same one twice a week, do you still need the resting time? I know for football we used to just go monday tuesday, off wed, then thursday and friday with no weekends and that didn't seem to be a big problem, we were using the biggerfasterstronger computer program.

The Animal
    With only 4 days to lift.. I'd go a blitz routine.. Chest - Back - Legs than arms than 2 days off and go extremely heavy in those days.. Your shoulders get enough workout during those days to be consider maintance
    Last edited by xlaw42; 11-05-2005 at 03:54 PM.

If I did that, which does sound like a better plan, should I scrap DB military press or do those on chest days, along with shurgs?

The Animal
    What do you have around you to lift with ?