The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Very skinny guy not gaining any arm mass

Hi Everyone,

My name is David and I live in Australia. I am a really hard gainer. I am tall and skinny and have very long and skinny arms. I always feel embarresed when wearing short sleeve shirts because of them.I have been lifting weights for quite a while now, probably about 5 months now and have been taking weight gainer after trainings. I do my weights at home using dumbells and I have gone from using 5Kgs to 11Kgs curls on each arm since I started training. Although I can lift heavier weights now I am hardly getting any results in building arm mass. I really want to make my arms more chunky and thick but because my motabolism is really fast I cant gain any fat on them plus i put on hardly any muscle. My arms seem to only look improved when Im doing the workouts but that it just the fluid pumping. It makes me feel really upset when I look at myself in the mirror and see my skinny body and long skinny arms after doing so much hard work and I just dont know what to do to get those thick arms i dream about. My gains are hardly noticable when Im not flexing. I do a lot of forearm work aswell but they dont seem to grow at all. The only way they look bigger is when im learning them on a table or somthing like that.

I have been trying to eat high calorie meals in my diet and constantly eating food but it doesnt seem to be helping on my arms at all. How often should I be training and should I be doing reps until failure to do another rep? How can I add more bulk to my arms instead of being embarrasingly skinny.

Some advise would be really appreciated.

David

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

welcome to the board, i hope your arms are not the only thing you want to get BIG.Work all your body
    Last edited by getfit; 11-07-2005 at 02:18 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig New Member
    getfit,

Thanks for the welcome. I dont just work my arms. I do quite a bit of shoulder and chest work as well as my biceps, triceps and forearms. My arms are just my main priorities.

Dave

k,well you need to concentrate on upper body as much as lower.Work your back, legs

Have a look at WBB routines
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Daviegav
    getfit,

My arms are just my main priorities.

Dave

Thats your problem...

You need to focus on other lifts and start working your legs as well... Take a look at the WBB#1 routine.. as well as the diet and nutrition section of this forum...
    High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviegav
    Hi Everyone,

I have been lifting weights for quite a while now, probably about 5 months

David

LMAO, 5 months is nothing.....growing takes lots of TIME! And if you're not working you're whole body and eating right it will take even longer. Post your diet up...

What was your height/weight when you started lifting and what is it now?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Banned
    Odds are your not eating enough throughout the day. In 5 months you should be able to put on 15 - 20 lbs.

Your arms dont grow by lifting weights. They grow when you feed them a crap load of good nutients.

I agree w/ the others - it's only been five months - this is not the sport/hobby for the inpatient. You need to perform heavy compound exercises like deads, squats, bench press, dips, chins, rows, etc to put on mass all over your body.

Also, new lifters will get stronger more as a result of achieving greater neural efficiencies/adaptations than muscular (meaning once your nervous system becomes more efficient at communicating w/ your muscles) - once your central nervous system increases it's efficiency, muscular gains will come more quickly.
    Last edited by Pats Fan; 11-07-2005 at 08:14 AM.

It also sounds like you started lifting weights that were too light to do you much good. 5KGs isn't much; you probably should have been starting somewhere around 10KGs. Your arms aren't going to be the main thing to grow on your body, but they will grow as time progresses and you eat enough food. Like the others, I doubt you're consuming enough calories to stimulate weight gain. Start eating more, and perform compound movements; make sure you're lifting weight that is significantly difficult for you to move.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

when i started, i just did pushups and they helped a lot... i probably gained as much mass back then as i have later with serious training... when you're skinny, everything works... but training only arms won't do anything, while doing pushups will train all your upperbody

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Keep training. Eat like there's no tomorrow. Lift heavy (11Kg doesn't sound heavy... you're probably doing 12+ reps/set) Do pushup, pullups, chins, etc.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

what's your workout routine like?

just letting you know;

bench, chins, and rows will make your arms MUCH bigger than bicep curls.

^What they say :-D

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Here's a tip, look up Anthony Ellis, this guy gained a ton of muscle mass, and on his program my brother gaimed 20 lbs like like 2-3 months and mostly muscle. He does nice work, I think he also wrote a book, lastly listen to theses guys they know there stuff (unlike me =P ).