Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Road

still looking strong, despite u not thinking so, keep doing all the little things to get u back to where u want to be and better. Everything will come back with time and u'll surpass all previous pr's as long as u keep doing what ur doing! awesome work and dedication man, many people would've given up by now.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Rick Yeah, no. My bench has been on a steady decline for 8 months now. I doubt I will see much in the way of improvement until I can get my hormones sorted out and start lifting with all the fun equipment you got up there. You guys will be very motivating. You bench will soon pwn mine.

Bohizzle Thanks for the support, bro.

MONDAY - DE LOWER
    **Warm-up with medicine ball (chops, side steps, front steps)

Speed Squats off of box
    barx10
    135x6
    225x3
    315x3
    **At this point I was told that I am going too high for my DE day so I backed off
    275x3 for 6 sets
    **speed started to decline so I stopped

Speed Deadzzzz
    135x3
    225x3
    275x1 for 10 sets
    ** I used both conventional and sumo stances (alternating). My conventional is getting much more powerful since I'm keeping the bar closer to my body.

ATF high bar oly squats
    225x5 for 3 sets (15 secs. rest between sets)

Spread Eagle Situps
    BW+25x10
    BW+35x10
    BW+35x10
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-08-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Solid speed day. I can't remember if you normally pull conventional or sumo when going heavy, but do you find training both with speed work truly assists the movement?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Hey there, sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Hey there, sexy.
    Christian--long time to talky.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

I think I'm gonna quit. It'd be better for all of us. That is all.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Perhaps I should elaborate on that last post. For those of you who know me from the 3+ years I have been posting on this board, you know that I tend to be very negative and bitch a lot about my lack of progress/strength/size/leanness. I'm about to do it again, so you may want to go bash your head into a wall because it'll be more constructive than reading this.

So I did upper body tonight. My form gets better every day. Unfortunately, my strength gets worse every day. And that's not because my form is better. If anything it should be going up. Yeah, I still have ****ty hormones and low sex drive, but this seems to be the only constant in my life right now. I watch my body and my strength deteriorate just a little bit week to week. My pants start to fit a little snugger in the waist while my shirts become loser around the shoulders/lats/arms. That is the absolute worst feeling. I know I've pretended to be a powerlifter for a while now, but I still care about hypertrophy. My bench has decreased 1-3 pounds a week for the last several weeks. My squat and deadlifts have even come to a screetching halt. I'm smaller, weaker and fatter than I've been in about ohhhh....2 years. I can make all the excuses I want. I had major surgery. I had a car accident. I stopped cycling and my test crashed. It still just doesn't excuse my present position.

I have tried so many new things. I've nailed down some solid form on the big three. I've tried cleaning up the diet. I tried less max effort lifting, more max effort lifting, speed work, GPP etc. According to Will (because he's such as optimist) things are starting to come together for me. I feel just the opposite. I've never had so much chaos in the 6 years I have been lifting. I've never had so much instability, so much failure.

It's hard to think that I'll ever bounce back from my usage. The doc says my test should continue to go up over the coming months, but all signs point to bull****. I've been actively searching for an endocrinologist without much luck. I want nothing to do with sex, I put on fat easier, and I lose strength like it's spare change.

I don't know where I was going with this. I suppose I just needed to vent yet again. I don't need you guys coming in here yelling me to keep my head up and look to the future. As uch as I appreciate it, this board has attempted to support my pathetic ego enough at this point. I need to learn to do it myself. Again, I'm not looking for comfort, because words will not provide it to me. I'm looking for a vent; some relief.

To top it off my wife is so ****ing tired of hearing me complain about the same **** day after day. She's tired of hearing me talk about hormones and strength (or lack thereof). She's tired of me being anxious and depressed. I don't blame her. I'm tired of me being a big whiney ball of vagina. Jesus, I should be wearing a dress the way I carry on...

Anyway, if you got this far, you get the idea. I'm not a powerlifter. I suck at this sport.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Hmm...I personally think you'd be better in a mini-skirt than a dress. Ok, joking aside, life is what you make it...if the pursuit of strength is making you miserable, its time to step back and take a look at things. Venting is fine, I do it quite frequently, but seriously man, is it really that bad...does whether or not you hit a mark on bench make the difference between a good day and a bad day in your life? If the answer is yes, then its gut check time my friend.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

would you rather be sucking at powerlifting or not lifting at all?

Hey Big Ass, remember when I said that thing about how you need to quit mind****ing yourself?
    Quit mind****ing yourself. You're going to be fine. You and I both know you'd die if you couldn't lift. You'll bounce back, and I know you've given it some time, but we both know that you're not the most patient mother****er in the world. Give it some more time, realize that you're in a period of recovery so ****'s going to continue to suck for awhile, and stop being so down on yourself.
    Regardless, at your size, it's not really reasonable to expect to stay as huge and lean when you come off cycle. Seriously. Especially since the last cycle can in many ways be considered kind of a **** up... messed up post-cycle hormones is no joke, especially for people who were already predisposed toward anxiety and depression.
    Just get your big ass up here and we'll get you all straightened out bro.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

*looks at dents in wall*

Your technique is getting better. That's the benefit. Now that your technique is changing your muscles and movement patterns are changing. I've said it before to you and I'll say it again, you have to take a step back sometimes before you take 2 forward. Work on the technique and work on getting bigger. Moderate you diet. Don't fret over it but do watch what you eat. I know you do to a certain extent but now is the time that you have to watch it more closely.

You're so used to beating yourself up for 2 hours on end when you get into the gym that you don't know how to train any other way. You've dug yourself into this hole. Yeah, it sucks. I won't sugar coat it. Things are going to suck for a while. You're just going to have to deal it. But you're also going to have to realize that you don't train to failure. Powerlifters don't and these days most bodybuilders don't either. Failure is bad, m'kay. Repeat it with me again. Failure is bad, m'kay. You need to learn to moderate your workouts.

Back to the technique. Now that its getting better and you are relearning the movements, its expected for the strength to change a little simply becuase its a different movement. It'll get better. With time and ****ing patience. Relax.

We're looking out for ya. You just got to relax.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Mother****er you better not quit. How am I supposed to come and lift with you and Rick if you quit? You're much bigger and strong than me, but don't make me bitch slap you.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Damn guys, didn't I say I wasn't looking for comfort or reassurance? How the **** can I be mad though.

Rick Hey dude. Yeah I'm famous for mind****ing myself. I'm the mind**** king. Mr. mind**** if you will. I'm 110% ready to start liftin regularly with you guys again and have a spotter I trust with my life on a regular basis. I guess I would have that down here, but Will's always doing this whole training/job thing. I think he does it for money or something. Don't ask me.

Will I know you're looking out for me bro. You've really gone to extra lengths to see that I keep my head up over the past several months. You're a good friend. I know that my attitude has as much to do with my success as a powerlifter as my technique or my speed or my strength do. I'm really trying to work on this.

Chubs *ducks* okay okay, no quitting....yet.

OK, so I'm not posting wednesday's joke of an upper body day. It didn't go well as you can see from my above post. Tonight was not much better, but at least I enjoyed myself some more. I tried some new things....

***Warmed up with 12 lb kettlebell (chops, front steps, side steps)

Conventional deadlifts off the floor
    barx10
    135x6
    225x3
    315x3
    401x1
    455x1
    500x1
    525x1
    535xtoo damn tired.
    **I know I could have 535, but its been a long week and I cut these short.

Zercher Squats
    **These things are tough. Not because of the weight, but because they tear up my arms like crazy. I would have a lot more weight if I use some kind of pad or towel or something.
    135x8
    185x5 for 4 sets

Seated unilateral cable OHP
    70/sidex10
    90/sidex8
    110/sidex5 for 2 sets

One arm DB snatches
    ***First time doing these with any kind of weight. My form needs some work. Right now I'm really just muscling (sp) the weight up on these.
    (all sets are per arm)
    40x3
    55x3
    70x2
    85x1
    90x1

I guess you could say that's a PR.

So I'm still ****ing fuming from my experience in the gym tonight. I walk in and scan my card. Walk over to the squat rack and drop my bag. Go to the locker room to take a piss. When I come out of the urinal, this fat **** from the front desk is just standing there. He says "Are you a member?" I thought he was just being curious, so I said 'yes'. Then he says, 'can I see your card?' At this point I'm getting really ****ing annoyed. I respond with 'No its in my gym bag'. The he says 'Well I didn't see you sign in'. It was at this point that I started seeing red and I almost bashed the fat ****'s face in. I respond with 'You wanna go check the ****ing computer again?' All of a sudden he recognizes me. 'Ohhhh yeah', he says. 'I signed you up'. I responded with 'yup' and walked away.

The gym is my sanctuary. I will be speaking with fat ****'s manager on Monday.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-11-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    Conventional deadlifts off the floor
    525x1
    535xtoo damn tired.
    That's because it's a lot of weight foo'! IMpressive as always justin. And sorry...I'm just getting this image of you telling off the gym dumbass. I know it pisses you off...would have pissed me off too if I'd been going there regularly like you have, but something tells me pissing you off is not a good thing. If I ever haul my ass down to the carolinas, remind me of that.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Great pulling man, glad to see you keeping your head up. You should of killed the gym dumbass would of helped relieve some anger you seem to have going on lol.

using a pad on zerchers is for women. blood is good. pain is good. Suck it up man!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Rene Thanks as always. Yeah, I used to have a temper problem (and gear didn't help) but I've since learned not to hurt people on a whim (and I don't cycle anymore).

Sidior Nothing would relieve my anger. The hAet is strong with me. It continues growing everyday.

Connor I'm checking your journal for zerchers. If I can't find them I will mercilessly mock you.

DE BENCH

I probably should have waited an extra day before doing these. My shoulders and lats were fried from my deadlift session on Friday.

**Warm up with 12 lb kettlebell thing

Speed Bench
    barx20
    135x10
    205x3 for 9 sets of alternating grips
    **For some reason wide grip is my weakest grip. It used be be my strongest. WTF?

Yates Rows
    135x10
    225x8
    245x6 for 3 sets

Stability Ball DB Bench (SS w/ the Pulldowns)
    75x10
    85x8 for 4 sets
    **Another guy in the gym asked if I had ever tried these with my feet together. He said it would make me use my core much more. I did this and damn was he right. MUCH more difficult.

Wide PG Pulldowns

180x8
    195x8
    205x6
    205x6
    205x6

Face Pulls
    120x10 for 3 sets

Tricep Rope Pulldowns
    120x10 for 3 sets
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-13-2006 at 09:34 AM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Justin I actually haven't done them in a few months. The last time I did them I was working out with my coworkers. I went over to them and they were like what the hell did you do. I looked my I had cut up my biceps and foreams pretty bad and had some trickles of blood. Good stuff, good way to meet the ladies.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If your shoulders were fried, wide grip will be weaker on the speed bench.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Very nice Yates Rows man.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Do that voodoo that he do
    You might want to start trimming down your volume a bit, mang. If you're having some recovery issues given work, time, sleep, etc then your work sets are starting to creep up a bit.

I've just gone through all of this myself.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    You might want to start trimming down your volume a bit, mang. If you're having some recovery issues given work, time, sleep, etc then your work sets are starting to creep up a bit.

I've just gone through all of this myself.
    Agreed. I know my situation was different than your current situation, but when I returned to Canada I felt like 10lbs of **** in a 5lbs bag. Those numbers aren't far off from what I weighed, either.

Anyway, I was stressed out beyond belief, no motivation to do anything, wasn't sleeping well, eating like crap, etc.

Finally got my head out of my ass and started exercising. I kept my volume super low. Think 9-12 sets per day, 3x a week. Within a year I was hitting PRs.

I'm not saying you need to drop your volume and frequency that low, BUT you have to balance your stress levels. View your stress "capacity" like a bathtub. Everything that causes stress - work, home, your hormone situation, frustration in the gym, actual lifting, lack of sleep, crappy diet ... all of those are water being poured into the tub. When it starts overflowing, it doesn't matter where it comes from, it just matters that you're overflowing.

Right now you have stress from areas that you cannot adjust. It sucks, no doubt about it. BUT the good news is that you can adjust the stress levels from other areas - primarily your training.

Or something .... :alcoholic
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Glad there are other people telling him the samething I've been trying to get him to understand.

Justin, they're right. Anthony's anology is awesome too. You can't walk into the gym each time and beat the crap out of yourself each and everyday. Granted your workouts aren't supposed to be walks in the park, either. You have to back it down and work your way back up.

Realize that you aren't recovering the same way that you used to and take that to heart. It doesn't mean that you're a pussy and can't lift for ****, it just means that you need to work on your GPP and active recovery. That article I sent you, it goes over this stuff. Total muscular failure like you've been trying to do doesn't work when you're not on. It really doesn't work when you are either. You're still trying to lift like a HIT bodybuilder on a powerlifting routine. You're driving yourself into the ground.

I know your probably also doing other crap that you are't posting. Probably just other stuff you want to do but don't feel that it needs to be written down. Back down a set here and there and drop one exercise. If you want to do more, split it off from a day and workout on another day. My sessions are all very short and sweet but very intense. Very little volume these days but very intense when they're there. I don't try to do everything on one day. I'll break up my workouts these days into 2 workouts. That way I'm not fried when coming back to work on something and it hasn't had time to recover. It also lets me know what needs work when something has or hasn't recovered.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Take it easy on the fat guy man, he's just trying to kill some time till the next twinkie. It's his own personal way of geting HYOOOGE!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Connor Yes...bleeding arms are a good way to meet the ladies. If by meet you mean scare them the **** off, then you sir, are correct

Rob It's been my weakest grip for weeks, it wasn't just because of Friday's session.

Chubs Thanks bro!

Isaac Perhaps you and I need to talk some more. I didn't know you were dealing with a similar issue (stress, volume, etc). Will keeps telling me I'm doing too much, but I'm a stubborn ass.

Anthony I know exactly what you're saying. It's hard for me to put those ideals into practice. I figure more is better. I donítí want to stop until I feel that I have successfully worked my upper body or lower body or whatever.

You said those numbers aren't far off from what you weighed--you mean BW-wise?

10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag is a perfect way to describe how I feel.

Will I realize you've been telling me this stuff the entire time. You know how I am though. In my mind, all life's problems would be solved if my body naturally produced 500 mg test a week. On a side noteÖever since being off I AM a huge pussy. Everytime I go to the gym I really have to mentally prepare myself for the workout ahead, so typically I am not going into the gym more than 3-4 times a week because itís such a mental drain. I think splitting it up may help some, but itíd be hard for me to get away from (as Rick says) mind****ing myself before each session.

Eszekial Iím not sure what you meant by this. If itís a joke I donít really get it. If itís not, Iíd like to politely ask you to stay the **** out of my journal.
    I could be off base though so feel free to lemme know.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-14-2006 at 03:11 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen