Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Road

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    And in the spirit of the above comments, I will be taking tonight off so my body doesn't loathe me more than it already does...
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

How about going and doing some cardio?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    How about going and doing some cardio?
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Will bahahahahah ahahahaha ah. *cough* er umm, I'll get right on it.

DE LOWER - short, sweet, and intense
    Well I took you fools' advice to heart tonight. I hit up a 35 minutes workout. Kept it light since it was DE, but kept it intense and fast.

Speed Squats off Box
    **These felt really dialed in tonight. Speed was good, I was sitting back, and I didn't spend too much time of the box.
    **15-20 seconds rest between sets
    barx10
    135x6
    225x5
    275x2x10(sets)

Snatch Grip Romanian Deadlifts
    **I have no ****ing clue whether I'm doing these right or not. I kept a very wide grip (beyond the rings) and I used a double overhand grip. I did not use straps so this wide grip was much harder. I didn't take these too heavy. I need to get the motions down.
    135x10
    225x8
    225x8

Mixed Grip Romanian Deadlifts
    **Threw these in for good measure
    315x8
    365x6

Walking lunges (are teh DEVIL)
    **These are really to improve my mobility and endurance, so I'm going for high reps and light weight

The entire workout took 35 minutes (including warm-up). What do you guys think about THAT?
    70x16
    70x16
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Damn nice speed squats.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Yeah, mang, we can definitely talk. Will's been treating you well so I've pretty much stayed out of it but I've just got another perspective and background of experience.

When I first moved down here my boss told me that he'd hire me but I was too fat to be a trainer. Well, he didn't tell me at first, just everyone else. Eventually it started to get back to me after I'd dropped a bunch of weight. Nevermind that I was coming off an abdominal injury that had me out of the gym for three months or that I wanted to lean down a bit just to compete with the other trainers here. I pushed it as hard as possible with both my diet and my training and lost the weight but crushed myself in about eight weeks. This was bad as I overtrained and felt awful (my squat still hasn't recovered) and picked up a few new injuries. It was good in that it sort of gave me an idea of what real overtraining was like.

When I became too busy to work out most days I had to adopt a plan that gave me time and allowed me to recover. I've had a lot of success down here with only doing about three lifts per session. Now I do 3-4 lifts and only lift three days per week with any intensity. I might do some light metabolic conditioning stuff (light accessory stuff, circuits, whatever) on the off days but that's it.

Here's a three-lift day to totally freak you out:

DE Bench: 6 sets of 2
    Close-grip Bench: 3x5
    Seated Rows: 3x10

Done.

Every session I focused on getting stronger. My whole workouts including warming up would take between 40 minutes and an hour (if I ****ed around and talked with people).
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Nice session there bro. It still depresses me that you use near my max for speed squats and max more than my weight plus my max... I'm really hoping to get some help from you with that when you get back up here. It sounds like you're doing those RDLs "right" but since I sort of figured them out myself I have no idea what right really is exactly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought your volume was insane... seriously dude, it's okay to leave the gym with some gas left in the tank- you know?

Also- I feel strangely compelled to write "YAY! VAGINA LUNGES!" but I don't know why... I swear I saw that somewhere... weird...
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Isaac I had no idea you'd been through all this ****. You never mentioned this stuff to me bro. From my brief exchanges with you and stopping in to look at your journal every once in a while it looked like you were losing bodyfat and maintaining your strength very well. Las time I saw you in the gym you looked large and your numbers look good too. I don't know how I completely missed this.

I'm happy to hear that you're improving now. I did notice you mention an awful lot of injuries in your journal. I guess I will be following suit and cutting my volume/freqency back a bit. I'll PM ya some time and we'll talk more.

BTW, since I am leaving Charleston soon, you, me and Will need to get together and get real drunk sometime.

Rickalicious You know my squat has always been my one strength, no matter what state my hormones, bodyfat, or whatever else is in. Your bench is on the road to surpassing mine very soon and your deadlift is catching up. We all have our strengths, and yours happens to be your bench (at least *I* think). You'll have to show me how to do RDLs when I ge tup there in a month so I can make sure I'm not cheating myself on them.

When you said vagina lunges, it definitely sparked something in my memory. Is that something I said that's now coming back to bite me in the ass?
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-16-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Hey Justin, when you go up sometime in September, are you going to stay, or just going for a visit? Also, when are you planning on going up?

Isaac noticed what was happening a lot sooner than you did. He does a bit better at self-diagnosing than you do.

Isaac is also a bit better at planning out his own routines than you, or me for that matter. I've noticed his workouts have had a lot less volume, but he is also doing more everyday. Because of the crazy hours he works and his restrictions on when he can lift he's done an excellent job of getting in what he needs to do and doing it well when he does.

He's an excellent example of that Wendler article on working your weak points. He rotates through his weaknesses and continues to work on whatever is holding him back, regardless of what it is. Mental, GPP, mobility and flexibility, or just strength. Isaac has gotten away with doing so little and still making gains because he knows what needs to be worked. You have to follow his lead and figure out what is holding you back the most. Fix it to a point and then work on what is holding you back again. It constantly changes and therefore so do your workouts. Just getting in the gym, time and time again and beating yourself through the same old crap won't work if you don't fix what's wrong.

You have developed a lot of strong points by doing this, but there are quite a few other things that need work. Take the time to look over that article again. Think about it. I know your mobility and flexibility aren't that great. How's your speed work? Think about those things. You've got a lot of potential, but its just getting you to see beyond beating yourself into a pulp everytime you step into the gym.
    What is elite?

Chubs I am permanently moving back to the area in the second week of september...I looooove NC.

Will based on that article, speed and GPP are my weak points right now. One thing I don't understand is, how do I know when I've brought up my weak points enough so they're no longer weak points? How do I not overdue it and neglect my strong points?
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Just a quick update: I have officially been off all PCT drugs (after 7 months of being on them) for 3 days now. Things seem to be holding steady....if you consider holding steady getting weaker, smaller, fatter, and having no interest in sex whatsoever. I'm waiting a month and going for another testosterone blood test with a new doctor...
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-16-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

The return of Big Ass?

So, I had a damn good time at the gym tonight. Kept the volume slightly lower and the intensity a little bit higher. Entire workout was about 45 minutes including warm-up.

ME Upper

***Warm up (chops, front steps, side steps)

Decline Bench
    barx20
    135x10
    185x5
    225x3
    245x3
    255x1
    265x1
    285x1
    305x1
    **It's been forever and a day since I've seen this kinda weight. It is not a PR by any means. I have repped out 315 on decline for about 12 reps at my peak. Course, I was on a gram of test a week then and now I'm au natural...go figure.

Pull-ups
    BWx45 over several sets

CGBP (hands about 6" apart)
    225x3
    225x3
    225x3

Chest Supported HS Rows
    3ppsx8 for 3 sets

I did nothing to failure tonight. I always stopped 1-2 reps short. Feeling good. Perhaps nolva was negatively affecting my performance...
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-16-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Nice numbers man. What's your weight at now?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Nice numbers man. What's your weight at now?
    MUCH heavier than I need to be (and heavier than I look). About 240 give or take. I'm shooting to get down to 225-230 in the next few months. I just gotta start eating healthy, lol.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Haha I hear ya man. Lookin forward to getting up there and working out with you and Rick. It'll finally give me the chance to lift with somebody who knows what they're talking about.

being natty rocks!

Great to see a session you are happy about man. 305 is good stuff.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Good job on the benching.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Solid lifts! You sure you're natty and have low test? LOL

Justin, how would you compare snatch-grip romanian deadlifts to SLDLs? Which do you like better and to what purpose did you incorporate them into your routine?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

See, that's the way to do it!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    I did nothing to failure tonight. I always stopped 1-2 reps short. Feeling good. Perhaps nolva was negatively affecting my performance...
    Maybe, but I don't think it was holding you back as much as your negative attitude was. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you've got the potential, don't let a few bad streaks keep you down. I told you I thought things were coming together, it was just going to take some time for you to realize it and actually make all the connections.

Nice job on the workout! Things are definitely looking much much better.
    What is elite?

**** yeah bro!
    Seriously, I'm know I'm definitely not the paragon of muscular development or anything- but I've very rarely trained to failure or used your level of volume over the last year, and I was able to put on a pretty good deal of size and made decent strength gains by doing so.
    I really think that there's something to be said for going in, hitting your target weights, and leaving while you've still got some energy. Now, that said, you still have to push yourself- I definitely got into the habit of just sort of sleepwalking through my workouts without any intensity. I just recently got my intensity back up and it has done wonders for me.
    It is a delicate balance indeed, grasshopper.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Chubs Who told you I knew what I was talking about?

Heath I respectfully disagree. However, I made a very very stupid promise to my wife so I'm screwed.

Sidior Thanks mang. I was proud to break the 300 barrier again. It's been a humbling year so far.

Connor Spanks, bro.

Anthony Let's see if I can keep it up...

Will I largely have you to thank for beating this **** into my head over and over again. Even though we had to cut those AM workouts short, your influence and knowledge are slowly leading me out of the hole I dug for myself.

Rick Regardless, I have secretly envied your progress over the last couple months, as I felt I was slipping into an abyss that I would never get out of. Ther must be something to avoiding failure and downing the volume just a tad. You know how I am though. I used to pound heavy singles on top of failure training and still grew and got stronger. Those were different days, but it's tough to break old habits.

Tonight I'm off because I gotta have dinner with the in-laws. We're going for Mexican (my fav). Hopefully I won't get too fat. On that note I'm damn hungry. I'll talk to you fools later.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 08-17-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Justin, how would you compare snatch-grip romanian deadlifts to SLDLs? Which do you like better and to what purpose did you incorporate them into your routine?
    *cough*
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.