The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Road

Justin, many pieces of excellent advice had been offered to you. I wish I had caught this journal earlier so our outside conversations would have been more meaningful. I'm glad you're taking some time off to get things straightened out. I'll hit you up on AIM later, I'd really like to talk to you about some things.

Take care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    MM Perhaps I need to take a look through your journal if you had a similar experience. I'm looking for help/advice on this injury from where ever I can get it.
    If you did look through my journal, you'll see that we had a similar reaction to the injury: when I first hurt my back, I kept lifting. About a week and a half later, I rather severely injured it attempting to 3plates on the tbar, which had never been an issue for me. I was cruising along on rep number 8 and boom, I was done. I had too take a week off then -- there was nothing I could do about it. Getting in and out of my car was horrible, putting pants on was horrible, I had to ask my friend to tie my shoes. Menthol patches helped dull the pain, as did painkillers. It's still not completely better now, but it has repaired itself significantly. Oddly enough, I find squats to be the culprit -- not deadlifts.

Hope everything works out for you. Good choice on taking a little break.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Sorry for not replying/updating...

Xian - We'll talk soon mang.

QUICK UPDATE:

Took the week off, lifted saturday. Here's a quick and dirty rundown:

Swiss ball Dumbell Bench (back on swiss ball, torso/legs forming the rest of the bench)
    70'sx10
    85'sx10
    100'sx8
    115'sx6
    125'sx5
    135'sx3

Yate's Grip T-bars

***Went easy on these because of the lower back***
    2 platesx12
    3 platesx12
    3plates+25x8 for 3 sets

CGBP (hands touching)
    135x12
    185x8
    205x6 for 3 sets

parallel grip pulldowns

***forgot to record weight on these, but I kept the reps above 8

I'll update more thoroughly soon. Thanks for reading, and all the amazing advice.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Damn this is more reps in one w/o than I've seen in a weeks worth of your old w/os..

Keep it up Jman
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Mase Yeah serisouly. I'm always out of breath. Pisses me off.

I tried squatting a bit heavier yesterday...

Box Squats
    135x12
    225x10
    315x10
    365x6
    365x6
    365x6

***I am somehow favoring my right side and I cannot figure out how. When I was done with these sets, my lower left back felt great, but the right side felt like knives of death. I need to have someone critique my form on these. Otherwise, the squats felt fine

DB Shrugs
    90x15
    100x15
    100x15
    100x15

Situps on decline bench with a 25 lb plate behind head
    4 sets of 10 reps

***These actually helped my back feel better. I wonder if it really IS the imbalance between my ab and lower back strength that's killing me.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 11-22-2005 at 07:35 AM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Dude, until we work out your squat and box squat form, you shouldn't be going over 275, hell even 225. You're going to make the recovery road that much harder. Lets start thinking about a Saturday and Sunday meet up. I'll be back Friday at the latest. Hell, lets look at going to the gym 3 days in a row and see how you are feeling. We'll get Isaac out when we get the chance.

You don't have to spend 2 hours in the gym, balls to the wall each and every time you get in the gym. You're doing better, lets continue that.

I know some of the things you are going to have to do will seem very alien to you but it'll be worth it in the long run. Trust me, I mentioned some of these things in the last PM I sent you, but I know where you are coming from. I've been there. Like I mentioned, its taking me about a year to fully recover and start to progress. Its hell, but it'll turn around and be worth it in the end.

I would like to start seeing you do about 20 minutes of cardio to warm up, followed by 2 or 3 sets of bodyweight hyperextensions, a few more lighter workouts, and finished up with some abs and a bit more cardio. Check out some periodization for athletes and powerlifters. There is always that off phase where the body has to recover. Then there is the building and then the peaking phase. These are very broad macro-phases but necessary.

Let me know what your plans are and lets get together soon. I know, I'm constantly coming across as an ******* here but I'm sincerely trying to help.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Isnt clomid a fertility drug???

hey Justin, Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you when I was in the area. We'll definitely make it the next time. It would have been great to give you my congrats in person and just see you once again. We'll definitely do it next time I'm in town. Oh, and listen up to homie and Isaac, I know I'd be getting them to make me a lot bigger if I was around there. I'm even doing good mornings now 'cause of Isaac.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Will I dont have to say much in response to this, except, you aren't coming across as an *******. Your advice and what you did for me today are helping me more than I could ever help myself. Thanks for giving me direction and knowledge to work with through this ordeal.

WBBIRL Yes. And it's used to recover from a steriod cycle.

Jeffy Yeah dude, its been almost 2 years. We gotta lift together! I can't believe you're doing good mornings now-- something I just picked up this year myself. Such a wonderfully painful lift :evillaugh

WOW. That's all I have to say. My body is thanking me right now. I don't feel particularly big and strong; in fact, I'm probably weaker and smaller than I've been since the recovery from, my surgery earlier this year. The fact of the matter is, I feel at ease for once. Will agreed to meet my pathetic ass in the gym today to help me along in the injury recovery phase. It was the most enlightening workout I've had in years. We worked with light weights on a circuit and did some stretching. Doesn't sound too revolutionary, but for my body--it was. These are things I've been neglecting for quite some time, and my body is much worse for the wear. Hell, I didn't even know how to stretch. All I knew was to get strong I had to lift heavy. No one ever said anything about flexibilty or stamina. All the same, I'll post the workout I did on Wednesday, and then I'll post today's.

WEDNESDAY
    BB Bench
    135x10
    185x8
    225x6
    275x4 for 3 sets
    225x10

Weighted Pullups
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BW+25x6 for 5 sets

Weighted dips
    BW+35x10 for 4 sets

TODAY - light stretching and lifting
    Basically all lifts were done in a circuit one after the other. We were focusing on form and flexibility today. In between sets I used the foam roller and spread eagle situps to help my back recover from tightening up.

Good Mornings
    **Will pointed out that I needed to spread my upper legs more as I went down and keep my head up. This was the focus of this lift.
    barx12-15
    95x10
    135x10 for several sets and back down to 115x10

BB Bench
    ** I had trouble here because I wasn't quite pulling my traps together as much as I was spreading my shoulder blades apart. I also was not staying as tight as I should and I was using a much more narrow grip than I needed to.
    barx10-12
    95x10
    135x10 for several sets

Pullups (mixing grips)
    **These suprised me. Apparently, I use very little lat engagement for these and tend to overcompensate with my biceps. We worked on tryin to engage my lats with little success. Something is wrong here.
    All body weight around 5-6 reps

Squats
    **Tried something I never have - high bar Oly squats. Struggled a little with keeping the bar high enough and keeping my grip narrow, but these felt good. Didn't use more than 95 lbs for now.

Today was a rediculously humbling experience. The end of the workout was supplemented with 15 painful minutes of stretching, where I found out just how not flexibile I really am. The end result was that I walked out of the gym, my body feeling loose and relaxed, which has never happened before.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 11-25-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Sweet man. It almost sounds like we have a similar problem in regards to (a) how we lift and (b) what it's done to our bodies, though it seems much more severe for you. I don't stretch or anything either... I just lift really heavy, which has taken a toll on my lower back. I'm probably going to try to incorporate some cardio into my routine; I don't really know how to stretch either, other than the few stretches I do inbetween sets. Glad to see that you're on the right track.

Loose and relaxed? You?
    NEVER!

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that things are working out better, Big Ass.
    I'ma get you to learn me some of this stuff sos I don' screw my back up too.
    Yay for inflexibility!
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

From here 'till an indefinite point in time, I will be keeping reps in the range of 8-10 and keeping the weight light. This really kills me.

TODAY:

Warmed up with light GMs (20 reps)

DB Bench on Swiss Ball
    55x10
    70x10
    85x10
    95x10 for 3 sets
    75x10

Yate's Grip T-bar rows
    2 platesx12
    3 platesx10 for 3 sets

CGBP, hands 3 inches apart
    135x12
    185x10 for 4 sets

Seated parallel grip cable rows
    180x10
    210x10 for 4 sets

High Pulls
    100x12 for 3 sets
    115x10 for 2 sets

PG Pullups
    BWx6 for 2 sets

***Followed by 15 minutes of stretching, spread eagle situps, and foam back roller
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Wow, this is exactly like the Tate/Cosgrove saga.

I'm glad will is kicking your ass, because box squats strike me as the absoutely worst thing imaginable for you. The high bar squats are much better, and front squats would be better still. And yes, work the abs. I had the same back/abs imbalance.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Just skimmed through your journal and everything caught my eye. I've had a few severe back injuries that required months of therapy in the past. As a result, I had to stay out of the gym and then slowly work back into it. I don't claim to know exactly how you feel, but I can relate. It really messes with your mind to be out of the gym, or running at half speed when you're there. I really hope things start to turn around for you and your body starts to heal itself. It sounds like you know what you need to do, which is to rest, and ease back into it. Good luck Justin.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Nash Yeah, I continually get references about gluteal amnesia from Will. lol High Bar Oly's are quite a painful lift when you consider I'm used to a powerlifting style squat. Especially considering squats above 5 reps a set were unheard of until now and I can't go below 10 reps.

Tim It's good to hear you can relate somewhat. It's like a nightmare in the gym. I'm working my ass off, but I'm not lifting heavy, nor am I gaining strength/size. I feel tiny and weak, but I know this is a necessary evil...

Tonight
    *Worked legs lightly with some volume. I originally planned on hitting Oly squats and GMs, but my lower back couldn't take the volume.

Olympic High Bar Squats (ATF)
    barx15
    135x10
    185x10
    210x10 for 3 sets
    *I was constantly using the back roller and running sets of spread eagle situps to get rid of the lower back tightness. It was not helping as much tonight.

Glute Ham Raises
    BWx9
    BWx9
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx7
    *These are still very new to me, and my quads far outshine my hams.

I added in 15 minutes of stretching at the end. My hips have been very sore as of late. They're not taking to this whole flexibility thing too well. The foam back roller was particularly painful tonight...
    Last edited by JustinASU; 11-28-2005 at 09:54 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Hey - just wanted to tip my hat to you becasue I REALLY respect what you are doing. ou know you have a tough road in front of you but you are making a wise decision IMHO...hope it goes well for you.
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by harv
    Hey - just wanted to tip my hat to you becasue I REALLY respect what you are doing. ou know you have a tough road in front of you but you are making a wise decision IMHO...hope it goes well for you.
    Could not have said it better myself..

Your doing great Justin, who knows maybe you might switch to BBing
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU[B
    Olympic High Bar Squats (ATF)[/B]
    barx15
    135x10
    185x10
    210x10 for 3 sets
    *I was constantly using the back roller and running sets of spread eagle situps to get rid of the lower back tightness. It was not helping as much tonight.

Glute Ham Raises
    BWx9
    BWx9
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx7
    *These are still very new to me, and my quads far outshine my hams.

I added in 15 minutes of stretching at the end. My hips have been very sore as of late. They're not taking to this whole flexibility thing too well. The foam back roller was particularly painful tonight...
    I don't see any high rep warm up. You're going to have to spend more time warming up. Start with the GHR's to start with. Even some light GM's and hyper extensions. Work those abs in between as well.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Wow, this is exactly like the Tate/Cosgrove saga.
    What's the "Tate/Cosgrove" saga?

harv Thanks bro. Your support helps.

Mase
    No thanks, I'm not gay

Will
    I don't post everything I've done. You're right about the warmup--I didn't do that. Though I do utilize the foam back roller and spread eagle situps in between sets to loosen my back.

MM I can't find the link now, but if you do a search for Gluteal Amnesia, I'm sure you'll locate the link to the article.

Light lifting/stretching

**All lifts were run in a circuit. In between sets I used the foam roller and did sets of spread eagle situps.
    GMs
    barx20
    135x10 for 5 sets

Speed Bench
    barx15
    135x10 for 5 sets
    **form is really coming along on these. Or at least that's what I think until I workout with Will again.

OH Pullups

**really focusing on pulling with my lats, so these were more partials to practice recruitinmg the right muscles...
    BWx6 for 5 sets

**Finished up with 15 minutes stretching

Upper Day

BB Bench
    barx10
    135x12
    185x10
    225x10 for 6 sets

BB Rows
    barx10
    135x10
    185x10
    205x10
    225x10 for 3 sets

Incline DB press
    75x10 for 5 sets
    **Right shoulder was killing on these

CG Pulldowns

160x10 for 4 sets

**Followed by 15 minutes of stretching

Thursday was my bday so the gym was skipped for Japanese food and sake.

Today I feel like hell warmed over and I havent hardly eaten. So suffice to say--no gym. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night this week. Bleh.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 12-02-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

You need more sleep.
    I'm glad you got tore up on your birthday, though.

Keep up with this stuff and you'll be fine. Keep me posted with the flexibility stuff, as you know what's going on with my LB these days.

Maybe you SHOULD start BBing.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

You're workouts are looking good. Not overdoing it, but keeping at it.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Circuit Work

Same as the other circuit days, for the most part. Warmed up with the bar/light weights/GHRs and ran this circuit:

Good Mornings (sets of 10)
    Speed Bench (sets of 10)
    OH pullups (sets of 5-6)

**Did this for 6 rounds.

In between sets I used the foam roller. Also:

DB Shrugs
    75x12
    90x10
    115x10 for 3 sets

High Pulls
    100x10 for 4 sets

TODAY - Legs

Narrow Stance High Bar Oly squats
    barx20
    135x10
    185x10
    225x10 for 5 sets

GHRs
    BWx10 for 3 sets

*also several sets of spread eagle situps

Whats was strange is, I am really starting to enjoy this workout. It's relaxing, and I walk out of the gym feeling calm and loose.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 12-04-2005 at 11:13 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

wow strength is looking excellent man!

how do you get the 135 lb. dumbbells up to your chest on swiss ball bench? I can get the 95's up, but I think it'd be a lot easier if someone helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by heathj
    wow strength is looking excellent man!

how do you get the 135 lb. dumbbells up to your chest on swiss ball bench? I can get the 95's up, but I think it'd be a lot easier if someone helped me.
    I'll try to describe. As you go to sit down on the ball, throw the DBs in front of you and rest them on your quads. Sit down on the ball. When you go to bench, roll back and rest the DBs on your shoulders. When the ball is centered in your back and your legs are positioned, push.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen