The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: The Long Road

YOUR MOTHER.
    And yes the lack of bench PRs is a total mind****.
    That is all.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

big FN rows, ya freak. Sweet benching also. That must be quite a bit a weight in your hands with all the tension.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Pull 600 already and put me out of my misery.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

...?
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

18 days and counting

edit: u better have a 600 pull by the time u come back lol
    Last edited by Bohizzle; 02-12-2007 at 04:47 PM.

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    There will be no PR's. Just when I thought I was out of the woods in regards to my hormones, they crashed again. I got a blood test about a week ago and the value for total testosterone came back as a 172, down from a 493 last time I had a test. This is on a range of 350-890 being normal. As you can see, my lack of PR's and ever decreasing LBM was no mind ****. I'm well below normal and my world is very bleak at the moment. I've had to wait two weeks to see the doctor and I finally will this Friday. What does that mean? Probably nothing. Doctor's do not seem to take this situation quite as seriously as I do. Between the anxiety and depression over this whole situation, I'm teetering on the edge of losing my mind. I guess this means I might end up on TRT, which is something I was really trying to avoid. I'm 24 years old. I never imagined that this would happen to me. I guess my role at this point is to serve as a big warning sign for anyone thinking of running a long cycle. I would give up any assisted progress I might have had to have my regular hormones back at this point.

I won't be in this journal for quite some time. I am documenting any lifting sessions I do in a notebook, and perhaps, if I get things worked out soon, I'll start back here.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Best wishes bro. Use your wife as support, hope you really get this figured out.

Sorry to hear about that man, hope you're able to sort it out. Take care.

Andrew

I still think it's the enormous doses of melatonin that you've been taking.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
    Melatonin can suppress libido by inhibiting secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) from the anterior pituitary gland, especially in mammals that have a breeding season when daylight hours are long. The reproduction of long-day breeders is repressed by melatonin and the reproduction of short-day breeders is stimulated by melatonin.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luteinizing_hormone
    In the male, LH acts upon the Leydig cell of the testis and is responsible for the production of testosterone, the “male hormone” that exerts both endocrine activity and intratesticular activity such as spermatogenesis.
    Who does this sound like?

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
    Victor Herbert, M.D., J.D., of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, cites studies from Massachusetts Institute of Technology that say melatonin pills sold as supplements contain three to 10 times the amount needed to produce the desirable physiologic nocturnal blood melatonin level for enhancement of nighttime rest. Dosages are designed to raise melatonin levels for several hours to enhance quality of sleep, but some studies suggest that smaller doses are just as effective at improving sleep quality.[32] High dose melatonin can even be counterproductive: Lewy & al[33] provide support to the "idea that too much melatonin may spill over onto the wrong zone of the melatonin phase-response curve." In their study, 0.5 mg of melatonin was effective while 20 mg wasn't. A practical implication of these results is that effective melatonin supplementation (for sleep problems) thus becomes very accessible: it costs a fraction of what most researchers thought it might cost.
    Look dude, you found a good doc who's not a ****ing moron about hormones. You're going to be fine, trust me... just be patient and try to stop stressing.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I'm with Ricky Rick on this one. You'll get everything ironed out shortly. Let me know if you need anything though.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

How much melatonin are you on man?

15 grams a night, until sometime last week.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    15 grams a night, until sometime last week.
    Anywhere from 3-15mg...more often during the week it was 9-15mg.

I understand that it can increase prolactin levels and possibly affect LH levels, but it should NOT make me crash like this.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 03-07-2007 at 03:45 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Yeah I meant mg. If it's kicking your LH down the tube then of course it's gonna **** up your test levels.
    If you don't mind me asking, how are the boys?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I was going to say 15 grams couldnt be right. 1mg does me well when I need it lol.

Justin have you tried going off sleep aids for an extended period of time yet, or does this just make sleep nearly impossible because of anxiety and other issues?

I saw the doc on Friday. According to her, my total test doesn't mean ****, which is completely contradictory to what the other doc told me. Even though it's well below normal range she is not concerned. My free test is only slightly below normal at 41.2 (47.0-244.0 pg/mL). She still didn't seem all that concerned. She offered me TRT if I needed it, but I turned it down. That's right...no TRT for me. I felt weird turning down steroids, but it's what I have to do. She gave me a referral to an Endo, recommended I try DHEA as an OTC supplement, and gave a script for Wellbutrin to help with anxiety/libido. I didn't know an anti-anxiety drug would help with sex drive and I'm still skeptical, but I read up on it and it appears to be pretty good for that kinda thing. So for now I'm dropping 50mg DHEA and 150mg Wellbutrin a day, laying off the melatonin, and praying. It seems like ****ty way to get your test raging again, but she's the doctor right? I'm supposed to get a call next week to schedule a appt with the endo and see if he knows something the GP didn't. I'll be praying the whole way through. I just do not want to continue losing size and strength. I can't tell you all how hard it was to turn down medically prescribed testosterone...but I knew I would dig myself into a hole again.

So that's that for now, I guess. I'm still about a step away from growing a pair of ovaries and my strength hasn't been this bad in over 2 years, but life goes on right?

BTW, I wanted to let you guys know that I still lurk in journal land...just not as willing to post my workouts these days.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 03-10-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Wannabebig Member

Support

Dude,

I have been reading through your journal and lurking on this board for a while. You have been a great motivator and inspiration for guys like me to stick with the gym. I know you are going through some **** but hang in there. It will get better. Thought you oughta know. DON"T EVER GIVE UP!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm thinking you gave up Justin. Don't even THINK about it! You better not, you will regret it later!