The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP I need to loose 3 pounds of bodyfat!!

So wrestling season has started and my goal is to wrestle at 160 pounds. My current weight is 168 before practice, and I usually loose about 5 pounds of water weight during practice. I do not want to loose any more then this for weigh ins, meaning I need to loose about 3 pounds of bodyfat (or mostly bodyfat, I can deal with loosing a little bit of muscle) by November 29th, our first duel.

In an ideal world I would do this slowly, I know. I would track my calories on fitday.com and gradually get to my target weight of 165 before practice. I do not live in an ideal world. I don't have time to loose weight gradually and I simply do not have time to log all of my calories on to fitday with a rigorous school schedule and a two hour wrestling practice every day.

Originally I though I would loose a good three pounds of water weight when I stopped taking creatine. Whatever water weight I did loose was marginal when I stopped taking it a week ago was marginal.

So basically, I need your help! Can it be done effectivly? I could probably get down to 160 without loosing any body fat and just cut 8 pounds of water weight, but I would feel like crap. I could not function in school, practice or my match, plus the mental and physical strain would be too much for an entire season.

I have been trying to keep my meals small and high in protein with plenty of vegetables, but I honestly do not know that much about nutrition. I've cut most refined foods out of my diet but some are hard to get around. Here is a sample days meal:

Breakfast, 7 AM:

1/2 cup Oatmeal with some cinnamon and brown sugar
    Protein shake mixed with water

Snack, 10 AM:

Usually a grilled chicken tender (4-6 ounces maybe?) with a handful of carrots, grapes and celery.
    20 Ounces of Water.

Lunch, 11:30 or 12:30 (depending on day):

Sandwich, either peanut butter and jelly or Lunch meat (pastrami, ham or turkey) with swiss cheese and tomato. No mayonaise. I always use wheat bread. 20 oz of gatorade.

Snack, 2 PM:

Granola Bar and Banana.

Practice, 2:45-5 o clock:
    Immediatly after I'll usually drink plenty of water or gatorade and a protein shake.

Dinner, around 6:30:

Dinner varies, usually whatever my parents cook. I try to eat a small portion high in protein and low in carbs. Tonight it was beef stew in a crockpot, (beef, carrots, potatoes, etc.). Other nights it might be speghetti or grilled chicken.

Snack, 10 PM:

half cup of cottage cheese with a little bit of yogurt.

This is what I've been on for the past week and so far I haven't lost any noticable weight (I know, I'm being pretty impatient). I'm looking for any suggestions or a whole new diet entirly. I'm getting kind of nervouse because our first duel is getting nearer and my weight is staying the same. Plus I'm already starting to feel pretty tired in practice.

I'm not sure what my bodyfat is, but here is a picture from the summer. I'm thinking its about the same as then:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ditch the PB and jelly sandwiches and the gatorade. Also the granola bar. Use some sort of artificial sweetener on your oats instead of the brown sugar, which is just white sugar with a little molasses in it.

You need to eat more fats.

Can you work out your macronutrient on www.fitday.com?

what should I drink instead of gatorade for electrolytes? What should I eat instead of a granola bar for a snack? More fruit?

Where should I get the fats from?

Do I have to ditch the peanut butter too or just the sandwich? I LOOOVE peanut butter

Oh, and what do you mean work out my macronutrient on fitday?
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 11-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.

You don't need anything in particular for elecrolytes - just salt your food and eat your bananas. Gatorade is full of pretty much empty calories, fructose, sugar - not something you want in your body, especially when you're trying to cut.

Peanut butter is GOOD! (natural PB, of course. the other stuff is NOT food). But a PB and jelly sandwich isn't enough protein to qualify as a meal - too much carb and fat, not enough protein. PB is a fat source, not a protein source. Try natty PB on chunks of apple - it's like dessert! Can you pack some cottage cheese with you? That's good protein, and FAST. How about tuna for your lunch sandwich? Better quality protein than the lunch meat. That stuff is a whole lot of salt and fat - not enough protein.

For snacks, you could eat a handful of almonds and a banana instead of the granola bar - granola bars are basically just crappy cookies.

Go to www.fitday.com and enter a few days' worth of food, then post up the grams protein, carb and fat, and total calories. Okay?

ooo, I eat Jiff. I'm assuming this does not count as *natural* Peanut butter? What excacly is the difference?

Thanks for the advice... I'll post a few days on fitday then come back and make a response.

Transfats. They're basically just plasticized oil. I don't know how the stuff is still legal. Margarine has 'em too. Don't eat margarine either. Eat butter. Butter is fine.

Natty PB tastes better anyway - get the kind that's salted. It tastes the best. My fave is Adam's crunchy, lightly salted.

Ok so in what order would it be best to eat my fats, proteins and carbs, in terms of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc?

Read Lyle Mcdonald (I think thats how you spell it) guide to crash dieting, and UD2.0. That should provide you with all the info you need to achieve your goal.
    Nick V

you could try a PSMF...but from the looks at your diet....you would gain it all back after submitting yourself to a PSMF...
    High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.

Actually I have that book on my xmas list, though I remember reading in his that his program wouldn't be good to *crash diet* while in training, as I wouldn't have the energy to get through practice. Though I plan to get the book and diet before the season starts next year.

velocity diet. haha jsut might be a little more expensive
    Last edited by tigo; 11-08-2005 at 01:36 AM.
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    You don't need anything in particular for elecrolytes - just salt your food and eat your bananas. Gatorade is full of pretty much empty calories, fructose, sugar - not something you want in your body, especially when you're trying to cut.

Peanut butter is GOOD! (natural PB, of course. the other stuff is NOT food). But a PB and jelly sandwich isn't enough protein to qualify as a meal - too much carb and fat, not enough protein. PB is a fat source, not a protein source. Try natty PB on chunks of apple - it's like dessert! Can you pack some cottage cheese with you? That's good protein, and FAST. How about tuna for your lunch sandwich? Better quality protein than the lunch meat. That stuff is a whole lot of salt and fat - not enough protein.

For snacks, you could eat a handful of almonds and a banana instead of the granola bar - granola bars are basically just crappy cookies.

Go to www.fitday.com and enter a few days' worth of food, then post up the grams protein, carb and fat, and total calories. Okay?
    I understand the anti-pb&j advice due to lack of protein, but I don't understand how you then recommend PB on apple slices. I think fruit is pretty overrated. I'd rather just have a PB sandwich and a tuna sandwich on whole wheat.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

I meant as a tasty vehicle for the peanut butter. It's totally wonderful.
    I eat this with cottage cheese, for the protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I meant as a tasty vehicle for the peanut butter. It's totally wonderful.
    I eat this with cottage cheese, for the protein.
    I've tried several times with the cottage cheese, and I just can't make myself force that **** down. The texture really bothers me. To each his/her own, I suppose.
    bests:
    ollld pics

Puree the cottage cheese with some berries. I use thawed frozen blueberries and some splenda. Totally yummy. Kinda like thick yogurt.

Hmm, I never thought to blend it. Good idea. Do you use the full fat kind? The one I tried was the non-fat, so that was probably another mistake that I made.

ed: what is the sat fat content on that stuff?
    Last edited by dw06wu; 11-11-2005 at 11:58 PM.
    bests:
    ollld pics

I use low fat (1%) and it works fine.

Dunno about the saturates. It's in fitday, and should be on the label. I don't pay much attention to that. I just avoid the trans fats.

Oh, blended cc with dextrose and lemon juice and a bit of peel tastes like cheesecake - nice alternative to a post workout shake.

Ok so here is a post to my fitday journal:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=Hazerboy

Two things: Tuesday, Nov 8 was my dad's birthday so I kind of cheated and had some cake and a bad dinner. Saturday, Nov. 12 also didn't go so well; I was working on a service project and forget to back a lunch, so I ended up just having a bunch of pizza, then passing out and taking a nap 3 hours later. I tried to keep the rest of my meals pretty clean for the remainder of the day though.

The rest of the week has been going well, however, and I've been staying on track. I've been trying to eat around 2200 calories a day coming from mostly protein and healthy fats. I'm hungry a lot throughout the day, though I eat a trail mix & banana snack right before practice so I usually don't feel weak; actually I've felt like I have had a lot more energy in practice this week. I've cut gatorade out of my diet also and am drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

I'm a little worried that my daily calories are too many or too little (not sure how many calories I burn during a good wrestling practice), and I don't have a lot of time for trial and error. Any advice would be helpful.

Also, built: I took your advice and bought some natural peanut butter in place of Jiff for healthy fast. Tastes fine and I usually have some for breakfast with some cottage cheese, though I'm a little confused. The nutritional info on the back of Jiff compared with the Natty PB are almost identical, though the natty has maybe 20 more calories per serving. Also, Jiff clearly states on the back that it has 0 Trans fats. Is there something I am missing here, perhaps that is not in the nutritional facts?

dw - pick up the whole cottage cheese, preferrably from organic grass fed cows. That stuff is the bomb.

DJ

Found something weird in your fitday - Nov. 8th "Food name - Cake, chocolate, made with mayonnaise or salad dressing, with icing, coating, or filling "

Chocolate cake with mayo or salad dressing?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    Hmm, I never thought to blend it. Good idea. Do you use the full fat kind? The one I tried was the non-fat, so that was probably another mistake that I made.

ed: what is the sat fat content on that stuff?
    I think the non fat cottage cheese is vile, but I really enjoy 2% and greater. There is a 4% milkfat organic one from a local farm around here and its incredible.

I overlooked the cake thing. I was just looking for some sort of regular chocolate cake.

Lots of homemade chocolate cake recipes use mayo.

Okay, the zero trans fats thing is a game - they can round down if a "serving" has less than a gram.

So they rig what a "serving" is.

If the word "hydrogenated" is in the label, it has trans fats.

So how is my diet looking so far as far as calories and amount of protein/carbs/fats?

I'm thinking I'm getting enough fats in but protein is getting hard while staying under the calorie limit. Also I'm still unsure whether or not I"m eating too much or not enough.

OOO another question: Thanksgiving is coming up. I plan on this being my first *cheat day.* Seeing as 5 days later we have a duel where I will have to weigh 160 pounds excacly (I'll probably just buck up & cut the 8 pounds of water weight, I'm thinking it won't be that hard) How much is just going all out on thanksgiving going to hurt me? What foods should I stay away from?

I'm pretty sure I won't excacly gain much/any real bodyfat on this expenditure, but my worry is literal poundage: I'll probably gain a good couple pounds of water weight, and from the food in general. How fast will this come off of me?

Wannabebig Member
    Hi, you have a pretty good daily diet I see so maybe slight tweaking is all that's needed regarding the food part; try substituting tofu for meat for awhile [Some brands are very high in protein]. Excellent vegetable sources of protein are cauliflower, kale, arugula, spinach. With these you'll avoid piling up saturated fats- even though this type of fat is needed in its correct amount to do its healthy duty.

Also up your intake of Omega 3 fat sources [ie,flax oil,almonds] keep your Omega 6 fat sources very low. Especially increase your intake of monopolyunsaturated fats[extra-virgin olive oil / avocados too]- within the confines of proper limit of daily fat intake relative to your normal total calorie intake. These are the good fats that keep in line the other not so friendly fat issues. At this site and online you can find extensive information regarding this. I'd also recommend substitute an apple in place of your snacks for the time being.

For the holiday dinner don't be shy in not taking big servings of food and avoiding the 'richer' foods/sauces/gravy. Particularly if you have a short term goal try using discipline to achieve it then you can reward yourself later as you see fit.

Know your food labels too, ie- when they say things like 100%/natural/organic etc.,

One last thing- be very active, very often, lots of walking and energy expenditure.
    Last edited by Vegilles; 11-16-2005 at 08:05 PM.