Thread: Shoulder pain when doing bench press

Hybrid View

Shoulder pain when doing bench press

This may sound wierd bu whenever I do bench pres my right shoulder kills everytime I bench, but if I use dumbells with the dumbell press it feels fine..... Since I cannot do bench press can the dumbell press have to same effect as bench pressing ?

Philippians 4:13
    same effect? as in gains? then yes.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Sounds like you have a torn AC joint in your shoulder. I tore mine four years ago and cannot bench without major pain, but I can use 105ib dummbells in each hand to bench! I would see an Orthopedic MD and see what they say but I'll bet anything it is the AC.

Your form might be off. I wasn't using proper form or warming up properly, and my left shoulder used to hurt all the time. When I started doing things the right way, all the shoulder pain was gone

Make sure you warm up your rotator cuffs, if you have to, warm them up every time you go to the gym, even if you're only working your legs

Bring the bar down to your lower chest/upper abs, bringing it higher up on your chest puts unnecessary stress on your shoulders

Keep your shoulder blades tight and pulled back when you're lying on the bench

Those 3 things have kept my shoulders free from pain. I'm pain free now, and I'm literally benching 3 times the weight I was when my shoulders used to hurt after every workout

good advice, thanks alot

Hey also try making it so that your elbows don't bend outward as much, but rather bend downward toward your feet. It does wonders for me. I tore the labrums in both of my shoulders so I'm just happy I can bench. Also DBs tend to be better on my shoulders that BBs.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DBs depending on how you do them, may have less range of motion and that could be the reason that you are not having pain w. them. Also, the DBs allow your elbows to track in a more natural path.

Here's a thread where we talked about BP technique recently: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=70624

Try using a narrower grip, and don't touch your chest. Do a good warm-up for your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by traptiron
    This may sound wierd bu whenever I do bench pres my right shoulder kills everytime I bench, but if I use dumbells with the dumbell press it feels fine..... Since I cannot do bench press can the dumbell press have to same effect as bench pressing ?
    Why not go see a doc and get it sorted out?

I had the same problem.. turns out it is a combination of an old AC joint injury which is degenerating... He taught me how to 'reset' it before every set which allows me to keep the strength.. and a strain to my teres major which connects up under the delts.. which gives the pain... Once diagnosed, I am getting ART, Massage and Accu... and I'm almost pain free now.. should be going heavy again in a couple weeks.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

You could also try myofascial release treatment from a physical therapist. MF treatment is very effective for all sorts of physical ailments and improving flexibility in general.

I had that exact pain too. But it turned out i was not pushing as hard with my chest as i was my arms. I was using primarily my arms and not my chest, and since i changed that and keep my shoulder blades tight like a rock my bench is soaring.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

The Animal
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    I had that exact pain too. But it turned out i was not pushing as hard with my chest as i was my arms. I was using primarily my arms and not my chest, and since i changed that and keep my shoulder blades tight like a rock my bench is soaring.
    i did that.. but i was using my shoulders/than arms.. than chest.. and i wondered why my chest never grew.. since than its been great the lack of pain in shoulder and chest size gain.