Thread: Starvation and distension

Starvation and distension

I searched for a minute on google but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Can anybody explain to me the science of body distension- specifically in terms of where the most severe distension occurs (usually looks like the abdominals and the deltoids-biceps)?

Certainly one's muscular tissue cannot literally distend beyond its natural dimensions/location as a result of tissue recomposition? Muscles and tendons are inserted at choice spots throughout the body, yes?

Is it merely an issue of visibility after the dissolution of subcutaneous tissue? Why doesn't this occur amongst extremely lean individuals?

It's something I was wondering.
    Last edited by Organichu; 11-12-2005 at 02:26 AM.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

if i understand your question correctly- its not muscles- its the internal organs, the liver swells up huge.
    "In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination." -Mark Twain

I'm referring also to what appears to be incredibly elongated muscles around the joints.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

mmm... discipline
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe when the body is malnourished it tends to store massive amounts of fat around the bodily organs. As Garrix said. I don't know about the joints though. Could it just be the appearance of being super skinny from so little food?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan936
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe when the body is malnourished it tends to store massive amounts of fat around the bodily organs. As Garrix said. I don't know about the joints though. Could it just be the appearance of being super skinny from so little food?
    i aint no doctor, but common sense tells me it aint fat being stored there, its probably the organs themselves swollen from issues with (non)digestion.

If your talking about less severe cases of really lean people, sometimes people who dont have any developement of their abs can cause their bellies to swell outwards-- but thats actually more of a disorder than anything else.

about the joints things, i have no idea- im not sure im familiar with what you're talking about either, but again, it might not be muscle tissue, but tendons. An individual isnt going to have much muscle at all after starving.
    Last edited by Garrix; 11-13-2005 at 03:00 AM.
    "In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination." -Mark Twain

The distended belly is from edema.

The proteins and hormones that control the body's fluid balance are diminished and fluid leaks from the blood and accumulates in the belly and legs.

This is caused by protein deficiency and is called kwashiorkor.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris is right on. This also occurs in some third world countries with the combination of malnurishment and infectious disease. Folks with leishmaniasis and helminth infections will get extremely swollen spleens that look like a tremendous belly on an otherwise very skinny frame.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    The distended belly is from edema.

The proteins and hormones that control the body's fluid balance are diminished and fluid leaks from the blood and accumulates in the belly and legs.

This is caused by protein deficiency and is called kwashiorkor.
    Correct, and 99% of it is found in third world countries, specifically in Africa and Southeast Asia. It's too bad, while were thinking of how much protein is in our next meal, they're thinking of when their next meal is going to be.