Thread: Difference between dumbell press and bench

Difference between dumbell press and bench

Okay here is my question,

I dont do bench becuase of a shoullder pain so i do not know how much I could bench. But I can dumbell press 90's.

Now, my friend dumbell press 105's and he can bench 290, I also have another friend who can bench press 285 and dumbell press 100's.

Is their like a ratio between dumbell press and bench ?

If I could dumbell press 90's, hypothetically how much do you think I cuold bench ?

Change the way you bench and see if you can do it pain free some how. Can't really equate one lift to another as part of max lifts are practice makes perfect. One thing I do to increase db strength is look at 90's as if it they are only 180 bench.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

This may be a stupid question, but is benching on the smith machine easier then benching on just a plain bench machinwe ? I dsont have anyone to spot me whern I lift so I have to use the smith machine, benching 225 on the smith machnie can I do that on a regular bench machine ? without the support a smith machine gives you?

I'm not sure the weight difference, but if you ever have taken the weight off the smith machine and tried to bench just the bar, it is much lighter than the bars true weight, it's probably about 10 lbs instead of the 45lbs on a regular bar. You Also have to take into account you dont have much of a negative workout on a smith machine because it basically guides the bar down for you. I dont think there is a real formula but you can definatly bench a lot more on a smith machine.

Banned
    if youre a powerlifter and want huge lifts, the smith machine is not for you. if youre more of a bodybuilder trying to isolate your chest and are using a modest amount of weight trying to produce growth, i dont see a problem

I am going for the powerlift, the only problem is I dont have anyone to spot me, thats why I HAVE to use the smith machine

I dont have a spotter either, thats why I just use DB bench, I also find that to be much more effective. I choose the DB variation on all my exercises if it's available. I also used to be much stronger with my right side including chest and thats when i really started doing everything with Db's and I've just stuck with that method.

I hear ya, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by traptiron
    I hear ya, thanks man
    Bench in the power rack. Put a standard flat bench in the rack, set the bar holders way down, and set the safety pins down just above your chest. This way, when you fail on bench, the pins will catch the bar and you can slide out from under it without being squished. I do this at home, each and every time..

I found this from one of my old threads. It was a therad on grip width, but it shows me in the rack, doing what I've described..

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/atta...chmentid=16953

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wouldn't you be sacrificing full range of motion by not going all the way down? I agree it would be good if you didn't have access to DB's.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    1" isn't going to make a difference really.

Do you squat?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    well

you could always work above failure. then you dont need a spotter

No, I should though I am going to start working it in my routine

Let's understand something (I don't know if someone already mentioned this); what you refer to as "DB press" is still a bench press. Just as flat bench chest press is a bench press. Both are bench presses, the only difference is the DBs.

What you mean to say is "Difference between DB press and BB press".
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Let's understand something (I don't know if someone already mentioned this); what you refer to as "DB press" is still a bench press. Just as flat bench chest press is a bench press. Both are bench presses, the only difference is the DBs.

What you mean to say is "Difference between DB press and BB press".
    I don't believe this was ever in question.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by traptiron
    This may be a stupid question, but is benching on the smith machine easier then benching on just a plain bench machinwe ? I dsont have anyone to spot me whern I lift so I have to use the smith machine, benching 225 on the smith machnie can I do that on a regular bench machine ? without the support a smith machine gives you?
    As long as you're progressing in weight, it doesn't really matter... but the Smith machine is "easier" than a standard BB press because it controls the movement for you and reduces the need for stabilizer muscles to come into play.
    The bar itself on the Smith machine usually weighs less than the standard 45 pounds, so don't be surprised if you can't press 225 on a standard BB press.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Did I edver recall a study being done on the % of american swho can bench press 225 ? anyone knwo what that is ?

It has to be less than 1-2%, but I'm pulling that number out of the air. You have to figure that only 1 or 2 people out of every 100 can do it.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

The only way to go

Bench in the power rack. Put a standard flat bench in the rack, set the bar holders way down, and set the safety pins down just above your chest. This way, when you fail on bench, the pins will catch the bar and you can slide out from under it without being squished. I do this at home, each and every time..
    This is the way I do it too. Your rack looks just like the one I have from York Barbell. I used to have a SRM of 205. Now I get 10-11 clean reps at 205. Training to failure in the rack worked for me.

Also, I strongly recommend using these gems for dumbbells:

www.powerhooks.com