Thread: Indian Food and Fat Content

Wannabebig Member

Indian Food and Fat Content

In general, I've heard that Indian food is not particularly healthy from a fat content perspective. For example, this recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala (my favorite dish) has 400 calories and 29 grams of fat.

chicken.allrecipes.com/az/ChicknTikkMsl.asp

If fat has 9 calories per gram, that means 9*29 = 261 of the 400 calories are from fat. That seems like a lot, and I was wondering if most Indian foods are equally high in fat content.

Thanks in advance for any perspectives.

well, are you eating indian food everyday? or was this just a treat?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

it can really vary, one thing to watch for is taht indian food tends to use a lot of butter (ghee), as well as what might be in the yoghurt, and both are mostly unhealthy saturates.

i wouldnt say indian was healthy however like with any food it depends on what you eat. if im trying to be good ill get chiken tika peices which is just chicken pieces in a spice thers no sauce or anything and it comes on a sizzling plate. now that with some white rice isnt that bad even the nan breads on bread really. however i love a good onion bhaji and a curry so i use it as a treat
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

indian food is very tasty, but i can't digest it for my life
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Indian food can be very healthy, but it depends on where you eat it from. Im a British Indian so i eat it at home all the time. The food maybe be more fancy at a restaurant, but theres normally quite alot of fat in it. I normally get my mum to make me different chicken dishes such as chicken tikka, chicken legs etc but ask her to use less oil, fat etc.
    The good thing is that there are a few tasty dishs that can be cooked in diffrent ways. For example two days ago i had boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces and ate that with rice filled with vegetables. Today i ate chicken legs steamed in a big pan with potatoes.
    if you cook chicken, Cook it differently each time so you dont get bored, For example, roast, boil, steam etc.
    Bench: 100 Kilo 1 rep
    Deadlift: 125 Kilo 1 reps
    Squat: 150 Kilo 1 rep ATF

Goal: Get more lean mass and get stronger!!