The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Shoulder advice?

Two weeks ago I tweaked something in my right shoulder. It happened when I was doing wide grip pull-ups. Following the 'if it hurts see a doctor' thing (for once) I've made an appointment. The earliest is early next year (mid January) which means that by the time I see a doc I'll most likely be healed (maybe poorly). God bless doctor shortages.

Last week I ran through some really light sets to see what hurt and what didn't.

Fine: Standing military press, Bent over BB rows, SLDL, BB curl, Standing Lat Raise, Shrugs

Questionable: Deadlift, Bench Press, Assisted Dips

Sucked: DB shoulder press (negative portion), Hammer Curl, DB Bench, French Press, Lat Pull Down, Pull Up, cleaning the bathtub, eating, touching my left shoulder with my right hand

Shoulders are already my weakest group. I really don't want to take a few months off working my upper body until the doctor can poke me three times and go 'you're fine'. I can do a lot of exercises without bugging it... should I focus on those?

And what the hell could I have tweaked?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That is funny last week I hurt my shoulder when it popped when I was in the coming down motion of the pull up (and yes it was a controlled motion). I went to pull back up and this sharp pain brought tears to my eyes.
    And of course after that I let it sit for 5 and then continued to do close grip pull ups and shoulder press, which were both fine, although the shoulder was sore! I went to the doctor and she said I had a slight tear and some sweeling to just ice it and take a few weeks off of that motion and anything else that seemed to bother it.

Does your shoulder hurt anywhere if you press on it front/back/top?
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Wow! That's amazing that you have to wait so long!

I don't now what you did, but wide grip stuff is brutal on the rotator cuff, with no net gain in lat development over narrow grip stuff. I would suggest you avoid wide grips in the future.

Yeah no more wide grip pull ups for me, that pain wasn't worth it , stupid rotator cuff.
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Oh, I definitely plan on avoiding wide grip motions from now on.

As for the doc... well, I *could* go sit for 8 hours an hope I get in to see a duty doc before the office closes. Usually that's what I do... but I don't have time right now. Yes, actual appointments are that hard to get.

So, should I avoid those motions entirely or could I perhaps go really light with them (I'm not going to be able to escape from doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom until it's fully healed, after all)? Doesn't light exercise promote healing to a damaged tendon or muscle (the muscle I'm pretty sure it does. Know nothing about tendons though)?

Last week I did 95 lb x 17 on the flat bench with no problems at all. I'm guessing I could hit 110 or 120 x 10 without strain. Is it worth it?

Edit: And the shoulder is a little sore if I press on any of the delts, though it feels more like the soreness is deeper and the delts are in the way. There's a lot of stuff under the delts, though...
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 11-14-2005 at 01:03 PM.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

I am not a doctor.

These are only suggestions based on my own rotator cuff issues.

If you have hammer strength equipment, do your chest pressing movements on that for now, lighter and longer than you're used to.

Ditch straight up shoulder pressing entirely. Try Arnies - not very heavy, perhaps sets of 12 reps - followed by side laterals if this does not cause you pain.

Try some movements like face pulls and face-down incline rear delt raises to work the mid trap and rear delts a bit.

And do some very light rotator cuff work with a small dumbbell or a 2.5 lb plate - do 'em lying down, so you don't risk hyperextending your shoulder joint.

You may do well with floor presses - they limit how low you can go with the bar to your chest, which may be a safer alternative for you.

And did I mention I'm not a doctor?

Hmm. I normally do cuff work with 15s. They're a little on the light side but I was trying to avoid injury. In fact, I did some 15 db cuff work last week. Didn't bug me in the slightest. Not like reaching across my chest to the opposite shoulder with my elbow raised away from my body does.

I don't know what most of those exercises are but I'll look them up.

And you are not a doctor. Just an encyclopedia

LOL!

Normal cuff work can go heavier - you're strengthening a healthy joint. But now, you're dealing with an injury. Maybe try five pounds, but keep it stupidly light for the first crack at it. Better safe than sorry.

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Where in your shoulder does it hurt? Out in the delt, or more on top, toward your neck?

Edit: Okay, saw that it is "deep" in your shoulder. Probably rotator, but maybe an A/C sprain. I sprained my A/C a couple of years ago, and the doc had me do inside/outside rotations with bands, which seemed to help a lot.
    Last edited by Big & Tall; 11-14-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal