The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sore shins

Sore shins

I've been playing some indoor soccer lately, and I've found that my shins hurt (something fierce) the next day (and for about a day following that). It's the same shin-splint feeling I got running way back in high school (which is why I don't run, and probably, in turn, why it hurts to do so).
    I've heard that there are stretches and exercises to help condition the area and prevent this. Anyone have suggestions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I dont have an answer, but I used to get have this same pain for about 2 years of football, it suckes big time. I just got used to it and sucked it up. since it's in the shin I have no idea what kind of stretches you could do to help with out. I always thought they were just "growing pains"

Banned
    Sounds like some serious shin splints to me! I usually get those when I start running again after I haven't done it for a long time. But it usually goes away after a few good running sessions. Shin splints are tiny fractures in the shin bone from all the extra stress placed on them. Just give the legs some good rest time and they should be ok. You might want to try doing some seated calf raises (with raised platform) to further strengthen the front part of the leg as well as some more milk maybe.
    Last edited by af92; 11-13-2005 at 07:33 PM.

train them more. try kicking a bag like your in martial arts and train them.

Train oppositional movements (toe raises).

Ice your shins. Take an anti-inflamatory.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I've heard that ART is great for shin splints, but I'm not sure I believe that they can be instantly cured...

Once you've got them, you really need rest and ice to make them go away... Once they've healed, you can rehab/prehab the area using a DARD or cable/band work to hit the anterior/medial tibialis, do ankle/tibialis/calf stretches and arch and plantar flexion exercises.

I get them pretty much everytime I run any appreciable distance and that's why I haven't run any appreciable distance in over a decade...

Thanks for the answers, I'll get on those suggestions. What a pain in the ass.

Direct shin (Tibialis Anterior) work may help. I would get shin splits when playing soccer after not doing so for a while. If you keep on playing they'll probably never come back. At least not as bad.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Cal...#anchor1929502
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

I nused to always get shin splints during high school football season. Just don't do too much running on hard surfaces and it shouldn't be a problem, not sure that there is a definite way around getting them though...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me