The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifts Safe for everyweek

hello,
    My question is-
    Is it safe to do deadlifts everyweek?

the reason i ask is because i see program were it says to only do dead lifts everyother week. Is this true or can i do them everyweek?

Thanks,
    Adam

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by pbfreak9999
    hello,
    My question is-
    Is it safe to do deadlifts everyweek?

Thanks,
    Adam
    yes.

ok thanks

you'll be fine. but maxing out on deadlifts every week isnt optimal unless your a powerlifter.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It's not optimal when you're a powerlifter either...
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I usually do regular deadlift every other week and rackpull in between.

The week i do rack pull, i also do heavy STDL. The week i do regular deadlift, i do high-foot-placement Leg Press

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    It's not optimal when you're a powerlifter either...
    so you think powerlifters dont do sets of 2-3reps when they deadlift?

In some PL routines, the DL is only done once every couple of weeks with the rest of the time spent on assistance lifts.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x
    so you think powerlifters dont do sets of 2-3reps when they deadlift?
    They don't use maximal weights every week you goon. Most use some sort periodization method that only has them maxing once every 4-12 weeks depending on the program.

Show me ONE (competitive) powerlifter who maxes more than once a month.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 11-14-2005 at 09:25 AM.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

You can do deads everyweek, but don't do low reps every week. I would alternate high reps/low reps. Another option is to alternate deads and BB rows every week.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I really do not think deads and BB Rows hit enough of the same muscle groups to be subbed for one another. I'd say alternating deads with good mornings would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I really do not think deads and BB Rows hit enough of the same muscle groups to be subbed for one another. I'd say alternating deads with good mornings would be more appropriate.
    I disagree - conventional deads and good mornings are not interchangeable. However, I do think if you do alot of deads, you can get away with limited volume on rows (but not the other way around).

Conventional deads are not only fine every week, I even think twice per week is fine, as long as volume and intensity is in check. For example, a 5x5 day, all same weight, then a day working up to a 3RM, is fine.

Another alternative is to do heavy deads once per week, and power cleans another.
    Last edited by Pats Fan; 11-14-2005 at 10:26 AM.

2 deadlift sessions each week? What do you do for your hammies? I don't know how my body can afford conventional deadlift twice a week and still manage to do STDL to hit the hammies.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    2 deadlift sessions each week? What do you do for your hammies? I don't know how my body can afford conventional deadlift twice a week and still manage to do STDL to hit the hammies.
    I think of the dead as a full body lift - no problem doing it twice per week - sometimes I do power cleans one day, deads another, or deads both days. I also squat three days per week - on the day I don't dead or powerclean, I do RDLs and bulgarian split squats - I perform three full body sessions per week - about an hour or so each - so plenty of time to fit it all in.

Also, conventional deads hit hammies, as well as the rest of the posterior chain. So, w/ deads and/or power cleans twice per week, all I need is a few sets of RDLs and I'm good to go.
    Last edited by Pats Fan; 11-14-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    I deadlift every week. But I only go for max-effort deadlifts every 6 or 7 weeks. Seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsethmeister
    I deadlift every week. But I only go for max-effort deadlifts every 6 or 7 weeks. Seems to work for me.

I always leave 1-2 reps in the bag in every set.

i deadlift heavy twice a week. my CNS can handle it, today i only moved 315 for a 4X4 (though oddly enough 315 is also my all time 1 RM from before i lost most of my strength, so i was almost amazed to pull it even though ive been adding weight like crazy latley). another hundred lbs or when im not bulking and things could be a little different, but your body can handle plenty of dl'ing (and squatting, i do that 2X weekly as well with the same rep scheme, but my squat is low weight from all the time i didnt squat, if both had been well trained and i hadnt had all the plateauing and backsliding id never be able to handle it, but the moral of the story is to milk the crap out of your noob gains which is basically what im getting now.)

i do sldls and normal deadlifts, so far it seems to be handleing it, thanks for the quick replys

Banned
    Not to steal your thread, but is it safe to do 3rep sets every week? I do WU then 8 then 5 then 3.

i would think so. unless your really realy elite level powerlifter moving several hundred lbs and sustaining a lot of fatigue from that sort of thing, but then you would already know.

Hmm intesting. You do know that deads work primarily the hamstring and lower back. I think you mean quads here(the front part of your thigh) Thats where squats come in.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

I do 4-6rep deadlifts every week and I've made great progress. I will say, though, that I do see a lot of progress when I skip a week of heavy deadlifting, too. So maybe go 3 weeks and take the 4th off if you are doing maximal weights.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Iron4Life
    PBFreak.. as you can see, there are a lot of opinions on DLs...
    The one thing that is consistant.. is that DLs can be done every week.. 4 sure..

After that, you have to determine what is best for your structure and your goals...
    Experiment with some of the different suggestions above...
    Use different programs every 4-6 weeks..
    After about 6 months, you should be able to determine what is best for you...

Or you may find out that variety is the best for you..
    It's what I have found successfull over the years..
    Some weeks.. twice - 1 heavy 1 light..
    Some weeks.. once - heavy.. with a cycle of maxs every 3-4 weeks..
    some weeks.. it's 4 sets of 15 reps..
    etc.. etc...

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Hmm intesting. You do know that deads work primarily the hamstring and lower back. I think you mean quads here(the front part of your thigh) Thats where squats come in.
    Well do a search and tell me what are the primary muscle for conventional dead and STDL.

Well do a search and tell me what are the primary muscle for conventional dead and STDL.

Conventional deads work the entire posterior chain - which includes the hammies, as well as the lower back up through the traps and rhomboids - the entire erector spinae. They also hit the quads fairly hard - given that you begin from a parallel squat position, there is no way the quads can not come into play.

RDLs and SLDLs work mainly the hammies and lower back.