The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

BEWARE: Sony's XCP Windows OS Hack

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,69467,00.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0...tml?tw=rss.TOP

Sony has been releasing music CDs infected with a rootkit hack that hooks into your OS calls and makes Windows LIE about the contents of your hard drive. Any file put on your machine whose name begins with $sys$ will be completely invisible. Obviously this is a great big giant hole for hackers to park anything they want to on your machine. To make things even worse, they then upload your listening habits to their website surreptitiosly, along with your IP address. So, first they corrupt your Windows OS, then they basically ADVERTISE it on the open internet!!!

I'm mad as hell that any music company would think they have a right to underhandedly modify my computers operating system. The same OS that protects my financial data and other stuff as irreplaceable as my family's history (photos, video, audio), diablo characters, and my vast hoard of pr0n. I hope Sony pays dearly for this lack of respect for its customers.

I wrote this note and submitted it to Sony music, just now:
    As a once loyal Sony customer, I find your devious XCP windows hack totally reprehensible. You have no right to comandeer my computer's operating system. To do so is as unethical as the behavior its (poorly) designed to prevent. Do not hack my machine and then start sending my personal data (along with my ip address - how convenient for the hackers) to your company's database.

I will not buy, and my family will not buy, and as many friends as I can convince will not buy Sony products until you recall all of the XCP rootkit infected CDs and make a public apology for this greivous example of bad judgement.

disgusted at your lack of respect,

<My name here>

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's biting them in the ass so hard that even the government is getting involved because military networks have been infected. Civil suits have been filed in at least two states.

To top it all off, the fix that Sony provided opens a HUGE security hole.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Yeah, Sony ****ed up good this time. Having this to deal with on top of the poor profits they have showed the past few months could have quite the impact.
    My sig scared getfit.

Banned
    read about this a few weeks ago. i can't wait to see sony's followup sales figures for the next two quarters in the wake of this

I for one, will not be purchasing any Sony products until this is corrected. No PS3 unless this is fixed.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I'll still buy the PS3, because I'm a MGS whore.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Damn, and their new TV's were looking pretty sweet.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm letting people know about it.

Whats even better is the rumor about PS3 regestering whatever PS3 game you put in it, so that there can be no more rentals or resale. It regestires that copy of the game to your machine, and if its put in someone elses machine it wont id correctly and the unit will shut down. It was speculated only to be a rumor but if thats true then internet access would be required every time you wanted to play your PS3.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 11-16-2005 at 07:06 AM.

Banned
    thats a definite violation of fair use, wbbirl. i hope and suspect that is nothing but rumor - ALTHOUGH, i would not suprise me if they kept track of such things for internal use

Looks like Sony BMG listened. Good, I can buy a PS3 again, unless it does that whole system check thing.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...BMG-RECALL.xml
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Wannabebig Member
    Photo shows infection of networks (coloured in red) of Sony rootkit:

Infected systems

List of infected CD's:
    Infected CD's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Looks like Sony BMG listened. Good, I can buy a PS3 again, unless it does that whole system check thing.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...BMG-RECALL.xml
    You're not soured on them as a vendor for their blatant attack on the rights and security and privacy of their customers?

LOL...I am, but i really really really want a PS3! I stopped relying on them for home electronics though. I discovered other folks make much better audio equipment and TVs.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Whats even better is the rumor about PS3 regestering whatever PS3 game you put in it, so that there can be no more rentals or resale. It regestires that copy of the game to your machine, and if its put in someone elses machine it wont id correctly and the unit will shut down. It was speculated only to be a rumor but if thats true then internet access would be required every time you wanted to play your PS3.
    Then I sure as hell won't buy one. I never got into online gaming and have now been given a a reason not to.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Well none of that is concrete yet, but just something to think about. There is no evidence to push it one way or the other.

This gives me flasbacks to the Terminator - a large number of computers around the world have been infected (even military) by a 'virus'. All we need now is a top secret AI computer to take control.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    regestering regestires
    Registering; registers

This has been a friendly correction from the spelling police.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    I stopped relying on them for home electronics though.
    Anything with the words "Audio" and "Sony" in the same sentence is junk. Trust me, anything Sony makes that even remotely deals with sound reproduction is mass produced crap...
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Fear denies Faith. Atrox Mortis's Avatar
    This entire move was a horrible mistake on Sony's part. Not only was that rootkit the dumbest idea since Greedo shooting first, but the EULA that comes packaged with it has some utterly asinine things in it. For example, if you go bankrupt, have your wages garnished, or are served with any sort of legal process that can affect your wages or assets, you have to delete any mp3's you made from the cd. Leave the country? Bye-bye mp3's. Fail to install the latest version of Sony's DRM software? Toast.

Oh, and according to the EULA, sony's not responsible for any damages caused by their software. Isn't that fantastic?

Okay, Sony is evil... blah, blah... but they've made an amazing advert:
    http://www.bravia-advert.com/commerc...tcommhigh.html

Watch it. It's quite amazing when you're realize the "trick."

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John