The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bench Press and rotator cuff

Hey guys, I have a little bit of an issue with my bench press. I have not been lifting long at all, maybe 2-3 months and I am not lifting very much either. As of now I am using two 50lb DBs for my bench press but whenever I try to lift I can get a rep or two and then I have to stop because of a pain around my right shoulder. At first I just thought it was my shoulder and it would grow as I work out but I am starting to think it might be my rotator cuff.

My question is should I take a break from benching for a while and do direct work on my rotator cuff or should I just lighten the load and wait for my rotator cuff to get stronger.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it could happen because of bad form, or you need to lighten the load

Iron4Life
    please make sure you are warming up too...
    Nothing like 5 minutes on threadmill or ellipitical before getting started..

and then maybe do a few pushups...
    then hit the DBs..

Once on the DBs, like PBFreak says, you should lighten up and watch the form..
    Are you going too deep to start?
    Are you going too fast?
    Ask an experienced lifter in your gym to watch your form.. if you can't see it in a mirror.

You should be pulling as much as you're pushing.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I do warm up with a jog before I life, and I normally do two warm up sets, and I always lift slowly. I am not really sure what your getting at when asking if I go too deep to start, but I normally bring the DBs down to where my chest is on all my sets, is this a problem?

Iron4Life
    No, not down to the top of the chest.. but the sides of the chest, unless you are ready for it, can be too far..

Where are you hands lining up? Nipple level? bottom of the rib cage?

Also, do you feel the same pain if you turn your hands parallel to your body - called a neutral grip?

And try different widths - where the DBs are right over the chest and wider - does one hurt more then another?

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolfden
    No, not down to the top of the chest.. but the sides of the chest, unless you are ready for it, can be too far..

Where are you hands lining up? Nipple level? bottom of the rib cage?

Also, do you feel the same pain if you turn your hands parallel to your body - called a neutral grip?

And try different widths - where the DBs are right over the chest and wider - does one hurt more then another?
    i've tried using a nuetral grip, as bearwolfden suggested. it felt much better on my rotator cuffs even on the very first set.
    always hungry...

Well, my hands are positioned around the nipple level, and I have yet to try other grips so I am not sure it that will get rid of some of the pain, I will have to try the neutral grip next time I go to the gym.

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC097
    Well, my hands are positioned around the nipple level, and I have yet to try other grips so I am not sure it that will get rid of some of the pain, I will have to try the neutral grip next time I go to the gym.
    one suggestion that helped me:

make sure when you start using the nuetral grip that you try it lighter and slower than normal. to me, it felt a little strange at first, and i had to get used to balancing the weight in a new way. i had been doing pronated grip for years, and so nuetral grip was harder to get the hang of at first. now -- it's on!
    Last edited by squat it all!; 11-16-2005 at 09:05 AM.
    always hungry...

Wannabebig Member
    Is there any downside to using the neutral grip?

Also, would a barbell help the situation or only make it worse since I would be able to lift more weight? I am still trying to decide if I should try and train the cuff before I continue lifting to reduce the chance of injury

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You should be pulling as much as you're pushing.
    :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi

LISTEN TO THIS GUY! Weak back muscles, especially the rotator cuff/shoulder blade area and lower traps, is probably the reason for 80% of shoulder injuries associated with bench pressing(or any pressing for that matter). The truth is, pound for pound your back should be stronger than your chest/anterior deltoids. Your shoulder joint is the most mobile in your body, it can move in almost 360 degrees in a circle, and it doesn't make sense to train and strengthen it in one direction without equally training the other... if you do you're asking for an injury.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi

LISTEN TO THIS GUY! Weak back muscles, especially the rotator cuff/shoulder blade area and lower traps, is probably the reason for 80% of shoulder injuries associated with bench pressing(or any pressing for that matter). The truth is, pound for pound your back should be stronger than your chest/anterior deltoids. Your shoulder joint is the most mobile in your body, it can move in almost 360 degrees in a circle, and it doesn't make sense to train and strengthen it in one direction without equally training the other... if you do you're asking for an injury.
    I have also been doing back exercises as well since I started lifting. I doubt that is the problem

I have also been doing back exercises as well since I started lifting. I doubt that is the problem
    Everyone does back exercises, but 3 sets of pulldowns don't cut it. What is your back workout?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Alright, well I am not sure if I have the best back workout but here is what I do:

Assisted Dips: 4x6
    Chin-ups: 4x6
    Bent over DB rows: 3x8
    Pullovers: 3x8

Alright, well I am not sure if I have the best back workout but here is what I do:

Assisted Dips: 4x6
    Chin-ups: 4x6
    Bent over DB rows: 3x8
    Pullovers: 3x8
    never heard of dips for back before (they work the chest and tris), also I thought pullovers were a chest exercise
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Iron4Life
    Sounds like he meant Assisted Pull-ups??

Nah, I did mean pullovers, because it does get the lats even though it gets your chest a lot too. I probably shouldn't have put dips in there but I guess I just wanted to show I did more then just train bench as someone else said "and it doesn't make sense to train and strengthen it in one direction without equally training the other". Anyway, should I add anything else to my back routine?