The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Benching problem..

Ok first off im new here, more importatly I have been stationary at my bench press for about 2 months. I can rep 155 5 times and thats it, next set maby MABY 4 but probably 3. Yes I have been here forever and it is really pissing me off. I eat lots of meats and get way over my daily value of protein and workout every other day, enough time to recover right? yes i have tried everything, does ANYONE have any ideas. I need to get this up for wrestling and definatly football. Another thing, there are people in my weight training class that have absolutely NO pecs at all and rep 165 or more 3 sets of 5 easy.. I just dont understand. They look so small and yet they can bench more than me so therfor in their minds im weaker. anyways... please help me people on this I need to get this up fast. The rest of my body im not worried about I can surpass most of the strongest people at my school in curling. And squats have been going up fast.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    maybe a new routine would do you some good? what does your current routine look like?

btw what is your weight training class?
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

My weight training class is the class I take at school, I have it at 8 in the morning.

Well usually I try to mix my routines up because thats what I have heard works best so your body doesnt get used to the same one. Sometimes I will do 3x3 or somedays 4x4 or 3x5. Usually low reps because I think thats better for strength than tone.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

i think your overtrainning, you said you workout every other day? does that mean that you work your chest every other day as well?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Supreme Champ
    switch to incline for 2 weeks then go back to flat
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

Iron4Life
    Natetaco.. we need more info on your training...
    Are you just doing Flat Benches?
    Any Dips/Triceps work?
    Inclines or Decline Benches?
    How about DBs?

And don't count out higher reps once in a while..
    mixing it up means different type of exercises.. different number of sets.. different number of reps... WO to WO..

8 in the morning i think your problem would be a nice meal before hand.. just cuz most hs students eat nothing much for breakfast.. try working your lats and triceps
    I don't have time. I make time.

Like they said above try switching it up. In highschool I had a similar problem, my bench was stuck at 135-145 for about a year. 3 years later here I am starting to lift again and within 2 months its gone from 145 for 4 reps to 185 for 4 reps. Personally I believe my success was food, training different ways (DB for a month, dips for a month, now starting flat bench for a month). Last thing is I vary my workouts, I think back in highschool my body got use to the same thing every other day.

Use more weight for fewer reps, that always works for me as long as I'm eating. If I'm stuck on say 275 for 5 and I can't do anymore, I'll try 285 and get maybe 3 or 4, the next week I'll try 285 and probably get 5 or 6, and the plateau is gone. It's usually that easy, as long as I'm eating enough calories

Banned
    if youre not gaining youre not eating enough

that is something i'd put money on

Banned
    Solid calories are the most important thing if you want to increase strength.

Eating is 70% of it.

Iron4Life
    Hey guys.. read Natetaco's full post... he is making gains in other areas - Squat & curling.. so it doesn't sound like a eating issue...

If one area is not improving while other areas are.. then nutrients are NOT the issue.. it's has to be because of the WOs for that bodypart.. either the effort is not there - which doesn't look to be the case.. or the bodypart has adjusted to the exercises that are being performed..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolfden
    Hey guys.. read Natetaco's full post... he is making gains in other areas - Squat & curling.. so it doesn't sound like a eating issue...

If one area is not improving while other areas are.. then nutrients are NOT the issue.. it's has to be because of the WOs for that bodypart.. either the effort is not there - which doesn't look to be the case.. or the bodypart has adjusted to the exercises that are being performed..
    Didnt read that part. Thats pretty odd then.

try decline and incline, but like russianrocket said, maybe ur over training

sounds like a training problem maybe change your rep range. when do you train chest on its own after or before something. also work on triceps as this really help your bench
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Wannabebig Member
    Post your routine, what exercises you do, how many reps, how much weight and in what order you do each exercise.

Are you stuck at a specific part of a bench press? Is one part of it harder than the other? Working on partials may be effective for you.

Bench press is a compound exercise, there are a lot of muscles being used in order to complete the exercise. Would help to know if those other muscles are holding you back .

Without knowing your workout, and frequency, then it could be a number of things.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest switching to DB's for a few weeks, working other muscles that assist in bench, such as tris, anterior delts, and lats. Maybe going to inclines for a little while would be good. Overtraining could also be the issue. I hope you're not working chest every other day. That right there could be the problem if you are.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

ok let me answer these questions.

My diet: I drink a protein shake a day (usually) eat lean meats, beans, corn, pasta and take a multivitamin. Im pretty sure my diet is good. Oh yeah and Working out in 8 in the morning I cant stand, i dont get hungry till about 10 and haveing no food= no energy so yeah... but I should still go up, I work out at the ymca often and in wrestling do well over 100 of pushups a day (all the way to the ground)

My usual workout": usually I do flat bench first, a warmup set, maby 100 pnds. Then I do a minimum of 4 sets of 5, usually 5 sets of 8 7 6, or 4 sets of 5 4 3 and pyramid it. I pretty much have a slightly different flat bench workout everytime, but i keep the intensity up and always go to failure. After that 1/4 of the time I go to incline and do 3 sets of 5 on that. Then I move to tri's, first do cable press downs, 3 sets of 10 8 6 reps while increasing weight everyset. Then do eather close bench or skull crushers 3 sets of 10 or somewhere in that region, then finish with 3 sets of dips. Reps i cannot tell you on the dips, depends on how tired I am. Then go to abbs. But that is my chest and tricep day. I do pullups and chinups to get my lats once a week and do military press about once a well also. So in all I get at least ALL muscles related to bench press in once a week. and even though curls dont really matter I do them pretty much every workout. And for my weight training class it is manditory to do bench everyday or else i get a 0 for participation so I cant stop doing bench really

The dumbells: Occasionjally i will do the dumbbell bench press right after my regular bench instead of doing incline. Also i dont like decline because it just seems way to easy and it doesnt feel like it works nearly as much as incline or reg.

Im pretty sure im not overtraining, i mean i will work bench every other day SOMETIMES but not all the time. I get all muscle groups relating to bench in and eat perfectly heathly, My bodyfat is 7% and I can humanly only loose about 7 more pounds to even be safe. I weigh 145 or so.

As for my other gains, my squat max has gone up about 40 pounds in 4 weeks. MAby im just getting better form i have no idea. my curls are working out. Powerclean getting better. But my bench has been stuck at maxing 180 since about 2 weeks after school started... in september. THIS SUCKS!!
    Last edited by Natetaco; 11-17-2005 at 06:22 PM.

It sounds like you need to get bigger and stronger overall. I would skip the pyramid and do the heaviest set first. And just because your diet is clean and high in protein doesn't mean it's high enough in calories to gain on. Are you gaining weight consistantly?

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    they can bench more than me so therfor in their minds im weaker..

Their thinking is flawed?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Im not getting heavier, and yes at my school all anyone asks is how much you can bench... so i have to have some reputation.

Eat more, alot more. Diet sounds lacking. Post your daily caloric intake and macros.

Doing 100 pushups a day is doing nothing but wear your out and prevent growth. Benching 3 times a week or more is also overtraining.

So, bench less, eat more, get bigger.
    Nick V

:withstupi
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

yes I bench at least twice every 5 days, I would like to do that less but since the coach in my weight training class is an idiot i have no choice. And if i refuse to bench or work out every other day doing the exact same muscles then I will fail the class...

and since i have wrestling 6 days a week we do 3 sets of 30 seconds non stop pushups at the biggening of practice and 3 sets of 30 seconds at the end for conditioning
    Last edited by Natetaco; 11-17-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You're working out for other people's recognition. You're going to get no where with that attitude.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL