Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugger Me Dead

Bugger Me Dead

G'day Guys and Gals,

I've finally decided to start a journal as I feel I'm becoming more serious about my training and this appears to be a great way to get ongoing commentary and support!

Pretty much beginning to train again after a substantial (6 months) time off.
    Currently doing a 4-day Split comprised over Workout A(Upper body) and Workout B(Lower body). As time progresses I'm looking to integrate more GPP/Crossfit/OLY work into the program however now without the right materials or a coach (for things such as OLY lifts) it's not really possible. Ideally I'd like to train in ways similar to Anthony or Sensei.

My Overall Goals are... To simply become faster, stronger, more mobile, more powerful and better looking (that is lose fat and gain muscle). Obviously these can't all be achieved at once however in the long term I'd like to achieve all of these. My Short terms goals... I'm not really sure of to be honest. I'm just training, trying to eat healthy and decide which way I'd like to go.

On to the first workout of the journal though!

Monday:
    Workout A (Upper Body)
    All weights for BB are without taking the Bar into account as I trained at a different gym to normal and had no idea how much it weighed. Estimate at 25lbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flat BB Bench: Barx10, 45x10, 90x5, 100x5, 100x5, 110x5, 110x5
    Flat DB Bench: 45x8, 45x8, 40x8
    Bent BB Row: 45x10, 65x10, 65x10
    T-Bar Row: 65x8, 90x8, 90x8
    Lat Pull-downs: 40x8, 40x8
    Military Press: 30x8, 30x8
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Routine notes: Normally DB Bench is incline, bench wasn't available. I do Rack Pulls instead of T-Bar Rows (no rack was available), however after doing them for the first time today I'm considering dropping the Bent Rows and doing T-Bar Rows instead.

Well, that's my workout as of today and hopefully I'll post my workout again tomorrow. I generally suck at committing to things but this may well be worth my while!

Thanks guys and gals for reading.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Welcome to journal land Tom! Hope everything goes well for you.

Cheers Risk, I'm hoping to get into the gym at about 5 in the arvo today. I'm going with a friend because he asked for some advice and I need to do lower body anywho (this gym has a squat rack, as opposed to the other one nearby). I'm a bit worried as he is a massive fan of machines... because "it's easier to keep form" and "you won't injure yourself". I'm worried about giving him advice but I don't really want to see him training wrong. Especially as I walk away to do squats and deadlifts.

On another note, I'm still at a loss as to whether to cut or bulk. I was considering cutting but my mum's boyfriend was talking to me and said that realistically if I put on extra mass I may not look as "fat". I'll chuck up some pictures in a second and hopefully get some advice =).

I do need to start using fitday however, I know that for certain.
    Last edited by tomv; 05-07-2007 at 08:06 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Progress Pics

Well at the moment they're not progress pics, they're pics of me at the beginning of my progression but I'm sure you all get the gist of it.

Little bit of commentary:
    Front relaxed: Opinions on gyno? I'm not sure if I have it but sometimes it seems like I do when I read about the symptoms.

Front Double Bi: I think my arms look deceptively big thus I posted the pic of me grabbing the arm fat. I want to be as honest as possible with these pics so my progress is more apparent to me down the line.

Back relaxed: Pretty bad complexion on my bike, though tanning seemed to clear it up a little. I am however almost translucent when talking about skin colour thus I generally have to avoid it.

Back flexed: I worry about my hip size from time to time but overall I don't think they're that large and it's more just love handles as opposed to bone structure.

Arm fat: Weird I know, but reasons are above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Journal

More Progress Pics!

Upload limit of 5 pics per post...

More Commentary:

Legs Relaxed: Always feel like my thighs have been fairly large (that's what pants tell me anyway =( but i'm not sure there's a whole lot of muscle there as my squats seem fairly week at the moment.

Legs Flexed: Doesn't seem to be much of a difference here lol. They do feel different when you poke them but obviously bit too much fat covering up here

Calves: Former Fat Boys always have good sized calves

Most Muscular: When I'm relaxed traps seem fairly non-existent but when I do this pose they seem to come out a bit.

Chest Fat: Again just a display of how much fat is actually on my body. Gotta be honest, it'll help in the long run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Journal

Ok bit late for this but here's Tuesdays session anyway:

(Note: Went to the gym with two friends, they laughed at me for doing deadlifts and squats. I laughed at them when I benched more then both of them, even though I'd benched the day before hand. They've both been training for longer then me. Man it feels good to know you're right.)

Lower Body:

Front Squats:
    Tried firstly to use the grip where your elbows are up and in front of your body, hands not really supporting the bar. Definitely couldn't get the hang of this and didn't feel right. I'm going to video myself doing exercises soon and ask for critique on form. Went back to doing as I always do, arms crossed across my front holding the bar.

Bar x 10
    45 x 8
    110 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5

Deadlifts
    Bar x 10
    90 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    155 x 5
    155 x 5

That was the end of it for lower body. Friends were pretty much bagging out deadlifts and squats, said they weren't that good. Decided to put our training styles against one another (e.g. who could lift more basically). This was probably a bit arrogant but I just wanted to win, and also test how much I'd improved since I started.

BP
    Bar x 10
    135 x 2
    155 x miss (so close)
    150 x 1 (felt like I could do another, dunno why I stopped)

This made me very happy to see my strength gains since I've started =D.

Thanks for reading all, i'll update tomorrow!
    My Journal

You look like I used to before I started lifting, the recomposition got me pretty lean at the start- even while eating everything in sight! Legs look pretty swole!

Ease into things slowly and add a bit more work in as your GPP raises, good stuff.

Started a new training path =]. This may help me become more consistent with goals and journal entries and progression in general.

I now train 3 times a week at an olympic weighlifting gym, coach thinks I will be a super heavyweight though personally I'd like to stay in the 105kg class. Burn that bridge when we come to it I guess. I'm really excited as there's some fantastically strong people that train there and the coach is absolutely awesome. I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to train here.

First training session.
    Whilst everyone in the room around me Power Cleans and Snatches, I begin my training:

Overhead Squats with a broom handle.

A very humbling exercise and has shown me how inflexible I am, though the coach has assured me that with the right stretching and continuing these movements the flexibility will come.

Snatches with an empty bar (approx 12-14kg*30-35lb)
    Simply form work, trying to get me used to the movement before honing in on any particular point. There's so much to do in one movement!

Power Snatches with an OLY bar
    Just testing me to see how I fair with higher weights. I was pretty shaky and again, it was a very humbling experience to be wonky and uncoordinated with this bar whilst a 60kg girl was snatching her bodyweight next to me.

Push Press from a clean grip.
    Again just testing and checking form out, probably also trying to get me used to this grip which stretches the wrists a bit to say the least.

That was all really for this session, pretty basic but it's given me an understanding of how much this will require but also how great the rewards will be at the end. I'm also going to start practicing the snatch movement at home alone with a broom handle.
    My Journal

Yeah, I suck at OH squats. Best of luck bro.

Ate way too much junk food today, I really need to stop eating so much sugary crap. It's gunna ruin my training if I can't get past it. Everytime I think I will just "have a little bit" I end up pigging out all over again.
    From tomorrow, Wednesday 25th I will stop eating chocolate.
    My Journal

Welcome to the journals section. It looks like you have a hell of a good start. I think you'll find that as you get stronger, leaner, and more successful that junk food will hold very little appeal. Keep at it.

Training for today
    (kg/lbs)
    Back Squats
    3x10 with 40/90
    OMG, Was really pushing hard to get these up, but at the same time I was going real deep. As low as I could go, pause at the bottom to try and lower a bit more then push back up. These really took it out of me

Military Press
    3x10 with 30/65
    Was trying different form, resting the weight on my shoulders (not collarbone) at the start of each rep. Pretty hard as my shoulders never seem to be that strong. Got through it though.

Front Squats to Push Press
    3x6 with Empty OLY Bar
    Holding the bar in the "Clean" position, trying to work on staying upright as I squat down and also just speed I think. God this makes me feel weak, but I know it's necessary.

Bent Rows
    3x10 with 40/90
    I had to try keep my hamstrings tight so I could feel a stretch with a straight back. Coach was touching the top of my back in between my shoulder blades asking me to crush his hand and for the life of me I couldn't do it, but I guess he wanted me to just focus on using those muscles. I say this because if he'd really wanted me to do that surely he would've just lowered the weight to where it was feasible?

Burpees
    2x10
    First set was without a pushup (just dropped into the upright position) and the second set was with them, which really took it out of me.
    Finished with
    Crunches
    1x30
    These were immediately after the second set of burpees and took it out of me something fierce.

I've come to the conclusion there are fitter, stronger, more flexible cadavers on this planet then myself atm.
    It still felt like a ****ing fantastic training session though .

Oh and didn't touch a piece of chocolate all day.
    My Journal

Meh, I'm not very flexible either, and I manage. Numbers are looking good chief. Those front squats with the olympic grip are tough! Good job keeping the diet in check, it gets easier every day!

No training, didn't touch chocolate though
    My Journal

Monday 30/7/07

Started with stretching as always, damn I'm inflexible but go nowhere to go but forwards so just keep on keepin' on. Lower back felt pretty tight today, I'd been sitting at TAFE (like community college I think) all day, so that may have had something to do with it.

SETS/REPS KG/LBS
    Back Squats
    3x5 - 40/90
    5x5 - 50/110
    -Fairly light but working on my flexibility throughout the movement and remembering to drive with use my hips and glutes.

PUSH PRESS
    2x5 - 30/65
    3x5 - 35/75
    - I've got a long way to go with my shoulder strength, technique wasn't _too_ bad. Stretches the hell out of my wrists+forearms.

Crunches/Situps
    Nothing fancy, 2 sets of each. Just trying to build up a stronger core obviously. No weights or anything.

OH Squat
    3x5 20/45
    2x5 25/55
    - Man these are humbling. I felt fine doing the 25kg (20kg was simply the empty bar), went to put on an extra 2.5kg either side and I fell apart. These are killer but very necessary obviously.

Front Squats
    5x5 - 30/65
    Trying to work on my flexibility and keeping my body upright as I go down. These felt alright. My wrists are still under a bit of pressure as because I don't keep my body completely upright, the weight tends to rest on my wrists as well as my shoulders.

Seated Row
    4x8 30/65
    Just Lat and Trap work I guess, not gunna ask the coach why haha. Happier just to do as I'm told, I think he gets a bit annoyed when people ask "Why am I doing this?"

Stretching/cool-down.

Done and dusted. Diet hasn't been fantastic, been better though. Still had a few sweet things but haven't touched chocolate and not surprisingly (to myself at least) I don't really have cravings for any kind of junk food.

New favourite (very high cal but very good) dessert.
    Plain vanilla Ice-cream with Crunchy Natty PB.

/drool.
    Only to be eating in small quantities :P
    My Journal

From Monday the 6/8/07 I will stop eating all those sugary ****in junkfood lollies.

I'm past chocolate now, haven't touched a piece and don't want to. I'm still eating bad food though. One by One I'll stop them.
    My Journal

No sugary junkfood today, had a burger for lunch though that wasn't very healthy.

Training was a sonnovagun tonight. I'm not going to put down sets / reps primarily because I don't remember them.

Back squats
    Approximately 7-8 sets. Need to work on my flexibility and study Sensei's Rx1 intensively.

Snatch/Power Snatch
    About 10 sets of however many reps. Godamn I just couldn't get the swing of this. Got better towards the end. Gunna practice these at home I think.

Jerks
    Hahah funny name. Just working on getting into the split jerk position... It's pretty weird and I definitely need a stronger posterior chain. Ah well, nothin' but time to learn.

I need to get much more flexible also, if it damn well kills me.

No Chocolate
    No Sugary Junk
    Next it's no more fried food.
    My Journal

Day off

Just went into the yard and practised doing snatches with an empty bar. Just trying to "bring the hips through" can't seem to get into the swing of it yet.

Ate pretty well, only had 3 cookies and that's all the junkfood I've touched.

Might not post next few days, pretty busy

Wednesday -

9am-3:30pm School (last hour of which is "fitness" A.K.A ass kicking cardio)
    4pm Dermatologist appointment
    6pm-8pm Training

Thursday
    7am start warehouse work till approximately 3:30
    4pm get home, go to step dads place and pack his belongings into a truck (we're moving into a new house) unload it into new place.

Friday
    7am Move houses
    3pm Go to training
    6:30pm Get home, continue moving house

Saturday
    5am Start work, moving 2000lb pallets of milk. With a manual pallet jack. Good sled work :P
    2pm finish work
    2:30pm Drive to mates place and help him move 6000lb worth of mulch
    8pm Party

Sunday
    9am Start work
    6pm Finish
    6:15pm HOME EAT SLEEP

Hahaha, definitely gunna need my vitamins for all of that. Wish me luck!
    My Journal

That's a very busy schedule, at least you get to party on saturday

Good luck moving into a new house!

Where are the weights in this log?!?

edit: Ah, saw some... but how can you not remember the weights???... reps, sets, I understand if there are a lot, but weights?...
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-07-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Where are the weights in this log?!?

edit: Ah, saw some... but how can you not remember the weights???... reps, sets, I understand if there are a lot, but weights?...
    Sensei my man, its rare that I actually laugh out loud reading a post, that one caught me off guard though haha.

Tomv, keep it up dude.

bugger me dead is...a bit...risqué...doncha think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Haha apologies Sensei, may have been laziness on my part :P.

They will be up there soon (and as unimpressive as ever! )
    My Journal

MPB - Thanks mang, yeah I'm looking forward to just hanging out with mates actually haha, I don't drink so it's more just a good time as opposed to hard out partying.

McVein - Haha Bugger me dead... it's more like an expression of exasperation. Like you've just done a killer Kickback (or squat?) set and you get up, can hardly breathe and simply say "Bugger me dead". I dunno, it may change haha.
    My Journal

Stay on top of things, man. You can see muscle coming through when you flex so keep it up and bring it to the surface.

I have trouble staying ontop of my journal as well, but it motivates me to stay on top of my training.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

nice lifting, seem to be comming along strong.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1