Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of El Griego

Hybrid View

The Legend of El Griego

Ok...going out on a limb here. I've been into bodybuilding since I was a little, little kid, like 3-4. I grew up really skinny and unathletic, until I started lifting weights at 22, when I weighed 135 @ 6'1. Total ecto. After lots of trial and error, I'm now 220, and trying to figure out what to do next.

I've posted some pics showing my progress up until this fall. The most recent pic, the most muscular was at 195 (I lost a lot of weight because of the summer and stress over my mom's health condition). I guess I should take a bunch of new ones to show you where I am now.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=69246

...*twiddling thumbs*...

I guess that's it for now...

*deep bow*

Give that boy a donut!

I don't have a lot of old pics of me on my computer where you can really see how skinny I was, but I did find this one:

Me at 15
    Last edited by hulkinout; 11-18-2005 at 10:27 AM.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    I don't have a lot of old pics of me on my computer where you can really see how skinny I was, but I did find this one:

Me at 15
    OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was.

Way to turn it around!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was.

Way to turn it around!
    I was the POSTERBOY for skinny boys.

"Don't let this happen to your child."

ECTX: those sound like fightin' words...put em up...PUT EM UP!!!
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-19-2007 at 01:35 PM.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Hah! When I was a kid my parents' friends would see me and ask "Is your stomach glued to your back?" No fun, especially when I was really little and seriously considered the possibility.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

sweet mother of god you were skeletal!

Welcome to Journal Land man! Looking forward to bugging the crap outta you in here...

In high school, someone wanted to start a campaign: "USA for Greg"

Lol - Greg-AID. Feed the starving Greg!

good work. and it depends on you were to go next. i think if you did a good cut you would look wicked however your bf looks in a good range to do a long slow bulk
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

I prefer the idea of a slow bulk especially since it's easier for me to eat now. I usually dont have a problem losing weight when I have to. Bulking's less natural for me,so Id like to see how far I can go.

As long as I can still bend down to tie my shoes...

I remember your pics, You have awesome pec genetics.... And damn boy did you eat when you were young? It seems as if you would walk your legs would snap..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Such is life when you have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

a hummingbird? really?

you couldn't say you have the metabolism of a vintage mustang muscle car or something?

Is that a purse you were wearing in the skinny picture
    ...quite the size difference el griego.
    Last edited by ectx; 11-18-2005 at 01:59 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Where's all the workouts, anyway... Its been 12 posts now and not one single squat has been noted. WTF?

You better be a squating! Time to put some meat on those legs too!

Welcome to Journal land Greg. Looking forward to whipping your ass until you get too huge... which will be like NEVER!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I'm following a variation on Steve Holman's x-rep training (Ironman magazine), which basically involved partials at the pre-stretch point following failure. As far as strength is concerned, it seems to help (my leverages have always sucked because I got a really long, narrow bone structure), and it does seem to engorge the muscle bellies really well. Since I started doing these a couple months ago, I've noticed much better fullness in problems areas, such as my delts and tris.

Right now I'm doing upper body muscle groups twice a week, legs once a week. Seems to work well for me at least for now. Overtraining upper body doesn't seem to be an issue, and legs like the once-a-week hit.

Workout A: Delts, Lats, Bis
    Workout B: Chest, Midback/Traps, Tris
    Workout C: Quads, Hams, Calves, Lower Back

Smith Military Press 105, 145 (warmup) 180x9 180x8+6x
    Wide Grip Upright Row 90x12+8x (too light) Ive had to take this one easy because of some pain in my brachialis over the last few weeks.
    Lateral Raise 30x12+8x

Shoulder-Width Parallel Pulldown 90, 110 (warmup) 145x10 150x8+5x
    Wide Grip Parallel Pulldown 120x10+6x
    Stiff Arm Pulldown 55x10

Bicep Curl 80 (warmup), 110x9, 115x9+5x
    Preacher Curl 55x8 (think I overstretched)
    One-arm concentration curl 35x12+8x
    Incline Dumbbell Hammer 25x12+6x
    Last edited by hulkinout; 11-19-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Why more volume for biceps than lats?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Good question. I break back into two workouts: midback and lats (always have... Steve Holman and Ian King always advocated that, so I've just always done it).

I guess I don't think of the incline hammers as a bicep exercise, more of a forearm move. Other than that, I don't really have a good reason, I'll admit.

Shoulders were extremely tight today, and didn't wanna bench heavy. I'm intentionally putting delts the day before chest since they need more attention (my pecs right now overwhelm the rest of my build), but usually I don't notice overt problems benching as I did today. Gonna chalk it off as an aberration; if it continues, perhaps I'll add an extra day bewteen delts and chest, or simply go for higher reps/lighter weights since I really want to emphasize delt strength/size now. That sound right?

Bench 95, 135, 155 (warmup), 245 (6+6x), 225 (8+6x)
    Dumbbell Incline Bench 60x12+8x

Hammer Row 110, 150 (warmup), 180x8, 190x9+5x
    Standing Cable Rear Lateral 30x12+6x
    Upright Cable Row 140x11+6x
    Shrug 245x12+6x

Narrow Grip Decline Smith Bench 145 (warmup), 210x9, 215x9+6x
    Hammer Dip 160x10+6x
    Pushdown (dropset) 160/140 10/6+5x

Unreal man, really packed on a lot of weight in a reasonable period of time - thats just less than 100lbs added.

Very interesting split that you've adopted, so far so good Greg...all sets are looking ace the past couple of efforts.

Thanks Cocoa, what are your stats currently? I really liked your photos. Beautiful lines.

I like the Holman routine for a change cause it's low volume but high intensity, so I can get it done within 45 minutes-an hour. His take is doing these x-rep partials following failure means you can get away with less sets, and it's really worked as far as lower body strength especially, since I've maxed out the leg extension and leg curl machines at my gym (which was something I never thought I was capable of). I change up routines every couple months, so I'll go back to a higher volume routine when I get bored with this.

I wish the weights were more impressive, but maybe that's something I can work on during a more power-oriented phase. Or maybe I'll just have to wait till I'm 240. ;-)

I do have something to ask though: I've been having pain in my brachialis lately when I try to get the dumbbells from my knees to my shoulders for press or benches. Any reason that you can think of, and anything I could do besides stretching them? I know I'm stronger than the weights I'm currently doing, which is really annoying, I just can't maneuver the weights into the starting position.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 11-20-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkinout
    Thanks Cocoa, what are your stats currently? I really liked your photos. Beautiful lines.

I like the Holman routine for a change cause it's low volume but high intensity, so I can get it done within 45 minutes-an hour. His take is doing these x-rep partials following failure means you can get away with less sets, and it's really worked as far as lower body strength especially, since I've maxed out the leg extension and leg curl machines at my gym (which was something I never thought I was capable of). I change up routines every couple months, so I'll go back to a higher volume routine when I get bored with this.

I wish the weights were more impressive, but maybe that's something I can work on during a more power-oriented phase. Or maybe I'll just have to wait till I'm 240. ;-)

I do have something to ask though: I've been having pain in my brachialis lately when I try to get the dumbbells from my knees to my shoulders for press or benches. Any reason that you can think of, and anything I could do besides stretching them? I know I'm stronger than the weights I'm currently doing, which is really annoying, I just can't maneuver the weights into the starting position.
    I have to warm up with wrist curls any time I do work involving my forearms (curls, pullups, rows, etc) or I get really bad pain in my elbow area that lasts for weeks.

You're not having the same problem when you bicep exercises?

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Depends on the bar. If I take a wide grip on an EZ or straight bar no.