Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of El Griego

sometimes they need to be extra warm. you know, for when I'm pulling on the BIG weight.

Well it's been over a month since I posted a goddamn thing...nothing like consistency.

I'm in Santa Monica/Venice for the holidays with my sister and her 8 month old twins. Got me a week's pass to Gold's Venice. Had some good sightings: Ofer Samra, David Paul (half of the Barbarian brothers), and Grant Henderson.

I'm hoping to take some photos while I'm here; they should be up soon. I'm up around 230 right now for my winter bulk. Trying to get in my regular meals along with 3-4 gainer shakes.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 12-25-2005 at 07:18 PM.

I hope you're having some fun out there.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wow, I THOUGHT I had started one of these journal things, but I couldn't remember.

Well, it's been OVER a year since I posted anything, so I guess there's no time like the present.

Currently, on a routine I got (again) from Steve Holman of Ironman. I have to admit, I like his stuff, it works for me (with slight modifications here and there, but nothing major), as does Ian King's stuff.

This one's a variation on the x-rep stuff he's been touting the past couple years: do a set to failure, then once you can't get any full reps, do partials (or in some cases, exaggerated pulses) in the semi-stretched position to failure (for example, the bottom of a fly or the top of a pulldown) followed by a static hold in the semi-stretched position. It certainly keeps the sets going: they frequently last 40-50 seconds.

The semi-stretch work has done great things for my strength; I guess it's basically stretching the tendons and ligaments to prepare them for heavier loads (?). Plus, I don't seem to get as sore a couple days later, although I'm plenty sore right after the set finishes.

Arms continue to be problematic, but triceps have come up well, thanks to narrow pushdowns with my elbows splayed out (more of a mid-range move, kind of a cable substitution for narrow decline benches) and pushdowns using a lat pulldown bar (does anyone else do these variations?). I was just bored one day, watching one of the pro builders doing tris, and he was using the wide pulldown bar rather than the little ez or the V, so I figured, why not. I was surprised at how much more I feel the tris. I get the cable as close to me as possible, keeping elbows back behind my torso. Didn't take me long to run the entire stack, and I got some nice new bumps in my sleeves. :-)

Had a couple bad bouts with tendonitis in my right forearm that set my lat and bicep work back though. If nothing else, I'm hoping it helped my weaker left arm catch up. Biceps are still nothing to write home about, although they're bigger in circumference. On the plus side, delts and traps have done really well, and pecs are still disproportionately big.

Well, that took up a lot of room... I'll write more tomorrow. Let's see how long I stick with the journal this time.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-19-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Blah blah blah...all I see is curl jockey curl jockey curl jockey.

glad to see you back in here mang. I look forward to spamming this thing...err I mean providing encouragement and constructive criticism!
    Last edited by ectx; 01-19-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    I don't have a lot of old pics of me on my computer where you can really see how skinny I was, but I did find this one:

Me at 15
    OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was.

Way to turn it around!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was.

Way to turn it around!
    I was the POSTERBOY for skinny boys.

"Don't let this happen to your child."

ECTX: those sound like fightin' words...put em up...PUT EM UP!!!
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-19-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Hah! When I was a kid my parents' friends would see me and ask "Is your stomach glued to your back?" No fun, especially when I was really little and seriously considered the possibility.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

So where was I? Oh, x-reps... Yeah, I'm enjoying them.

The current routine I'm on is a series of three rotating rep-schemes using basically the same exercises, each one used for a week:

Week 1 is 4-6 reps (6-8 for higher rep muscle groups).
    Week 2 is 7-9 reps for midrange exercises, 10-12 reps for stretch-position exercises (overhead extensions, pullovers, incline db curls, flys, etc.), 13-15 reps for contraction-position exercises (pushdowns, concentration curls, rear delt flys, leg extension, leg curl, etc.)
    Week 3, known as shock week, is 8-10 reps but with heavy use of supersets, dropsets and intensity-techniques.

I'm on my third go-round of this system, and the gains have been considerable. I like the fact that every week is something new, even though the exercises are basically the same (although I have substituted some exercises that I found more effective as the weeks have gone on).

Regardless of which week you're using, the final set of each exercise ends with x-reps (pulses in the semi-stretched position after you've exhausted full ROM), followed by a static hold in the semi-stretched position. This should push those sets easily into the optimal 37-40 second time range. This little bit of extra at the end has really helped with strength levels.

This weekend was delts and arms:

Smith Wide Grip Rack Pull: 140*9, 155*9 + 8 x-reps + 6 second static hold
    Dumbbell Upright Row: 55*7 + 6x + 5sec
    Medium-Grip Cable Upright Row: 180*10 + 8x+ 8sec
    1-Arm Incline DB Raise: 40*12, 45*10+ 8x + 6sec
    Lateral DB Raise: 40*12, 40*12 + 6x + 5sec
    Hammer Rear Press: 200*9, 200*7 + 3x + 5sec
    Machine Rear Fly: 110*12, 110*11 + 6x + 3sec

I prefer upright rows for hitting medial delts as opposed to pressing, which hit more front delt, which I feel get plenty of emphasis during chest day.

Hammer Dip: 180*9, 180*9 + 0x + 6sec
    Wide-Elbow Pushdown: 190*10 + 6x + 12sec (machine only goes up to 200..yay!)
    Overhead Extension: 80*12, 90*11 + 0x + 3sec
    Wide Grip Pushdown (kneeling): 110*15, 120*15 + 10x + 12sec 9too (too light)

Preacher Curl: 75*9, 80*9 + 5x + 6sec (minor twinge in right forearm left over from bad tendonitis, so going light-ish)
    Cable Curl: 100*9 + 8x + 10sec
    Incline DB Curl: 15*12 (too easy), 20*12+ 0x + 6sec (right forearm still off some)
    Spider Curl: 15*15, 20*15 + 6x + 8sec
    Cable Hammer Curl: 70*12 + 8x+ 8sec

Again, I'm soft pedaling biceps until I have no more forearm issues. I'm keeping my wrists slightly bent back so the forearms don't come into play as much, but I'm not going heavy at this point.

Had an awesome pump afterward, especially in the delts. Crazy veins and everything. Good workout.

Last night was quads and calves using the higher rep schemes. Didn't do NoXplode beforehand since I ate too close to the workout (I don't like taking it unless I have like 90 minutes after a meal, otherwise it messes with my stomach), so just took some vegetable glycerine and a caffeine tab.

My hams and knees are too tight these days. I talked with one of my friends who competes; he said I should do a good 10 minutes of static stretching expecially on leg day, particularly to loosen up the hams and hips. I told him I'd read a couple articles that discouraged stretching before heavy workouts, but he said he remembers when I was stretching religiously and making real good progress, getting my quads close to 27", about a half-inch more than I got today. Did I have knee or back problems then? No...

Looking back, when I did stretch beforehand, my hips, knees and lower back weren't hindering me, and I was handling considerably more weight with wider ROM. So, stretches go back in.

Leg Press 360*10 (warmup), 540*8 (warmup), 680*9, 730*9 + 6x + 4sec
    Squat 225*9 (lower back acted up, so went extra-light on 2nd set just to be safe), 135*10 (hams were so tight I barely broke parallel)
    Sissy Squat BW*12, Bw*12+ 4x + 8sec
    Leg Extension 180*15, 195*15+ 8x + 6sec
    Leg Press Calf Raise 360 (warmup), 540 (warmup), 630*12, 630*12 + 4sec
    Donkey Calf Raise 380*15, 400*13 + 6x + 4sec
    Standing Calf Raise 480*18, 480*17 + 6sec
    Sitting Calf Raise 135*15, 135*15 + 8x + 8sec

To ramp up flexibility, I'll try stretching legs and lower back every night. I hope I start seeing some improvement soon.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-23-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Off yesterday, doing back tonight, but I'll stretch legs and hams in my stretch routine pre-workout to start making inroads. Lower back's way tight last night and today.

Back and forearms night. I sometimes split back into separate lats and midback days. Traps can go with either midback or on delt day, as can rear delt work. For now though, everything except rear delt work is on back day.

Stretched my legs and posterior chain as I promised I would to loosen up those areas for ham night coming up, as well as upper back stretches. Also did some 10-15 second static upper back stretches between sets. When I'm at work, I'll try and stretch some if I have a few minutes here and there.

LATS
    Wide Parallel Pulldown 100 (warmup), 140 (warmup), 180*9, 190*9, 190*7 + 8x + 8sec
    Narrow Parallel Pulldown 180*9, 190*9 + 6x + 6sec
    Cable Pullover 130*12, 140*8 + 6sec (difficult)
    Undergrip Pulldown 130*15, 130*13 + 10x + 10sec

MIDBACK
    Wide Parallel Grip Pulldown 150*9 + 7x + 8sec
    Hammer Row 110, 160 (warmup) 210*9, 210*10 + 8x + 8sec
    T Bar Row 90*9 + 8x + 8sec (hadn't done these in awhile, wanted to see if I could feel these better than the hammer row...which I can)
    1-Arm DB Row 65*12 + 6x
    Bent-Over Bent-Arm DB Row 40*15, 40*15+6x

TRAPS
    Hammer Shrug (standing) 365*13, 365*15, 365*15 + 6x + 6sec

Did these standing since sitting aggravated my lower back last time.

FOREARMS
    Reverse EZ Bar Wrist Curl 40*12, 40*10 + 8sec, Standing: 40*10 + 6x + 8sec
    Behind the Back Wrist Curl 80*16 (had to cut this short as it was getting late)

All in all, back felt solid. Was in the groove on lats, midback a little less so. I might go back to t-bar rows during the next go-round since I got excited about doing them again.

wow alot of stuff man, you must be wreaked nice job
    2000 or bust

Hi, just wanted to complement you on your progress. how far you've come is amazing.

Stumprrp: Thanks man, you look great yourself.

booyah: Thanks man, that was real nice of you. I can sympathize with the being skinny; I was skinnier than you when I started. The hardest part is training yourself to eat when you're not hungry. It takes time, so don't expect instant results, but you'll find it gets easier as you get used to it. If in doubt, cut back on your exercises, don't overdo it. Believe me, if I wasn't eating heavy, that workout last night would be cut in half, no question. Let me know if you wanna discuss some strategies for you sometime.

Kinda frustrating yesterday, but I have to be patient with the flexibility in my hams and lower back; this will take a few weeks to address.

I stretched a good 10-15 minutes before doing hams, and decided to go extra light, and the first set was okay. Just took it slow, squeezed the hams, kept the bar almost against my shins; everything felt okay, but the second set, my lower back said "uh-uh, you THINK you're gonna bend me." On a whim, I just grabbed a couple of light dumbbells, and did a set. Not great, but better. I decided to stop the SLDL's there, and see if hyperextensions were any better. They also were merely okay, much better toward the bottom of the movement, so I tried to do just the bottom 2/3 just to give my hams something. Very slow, lots of tension. Finished with leg curls which were fine. Maybe next week I'll just skip everything but the leg curls just to give my spine a break.

HAMS:
    SLDL: bar, 85 (warmup), 115*9, 115*8
    SLDL (dumbbells): 30*8
    Hyperextension: BW*10, 10
    Sitting Leg Curl: 180*15, 195*15 + 6x + 6sec

PECS:
    Incline Smith: 135, 165 (warmup), 205*9, 215*9, 225*8 + 6x
    Incline Fly: 40*12 + 6x + 6sec
    Low Cable Crossover: 30*15
    Hammer Wide Grip Bench: 180*9, 200*9 + 8x + 8sec
    Hammer Dip: 210*9 + 4x + 3sec
    Fly Machine: 190*12 + 10x + 8sec
    High Cable Crossover: 40*15 + 8x + 5sec

Lower back had cleared up by the time I got the chest, although the cable crossovers made it twinge some, so I knelt between the cables instead of standing...much better.

Two days off coming up. Like I said, I think I'll cut all SLDL/hyperextension work this week, just do leg curls and maybe some leg presses with my feet high on the platform. That should please those hammies.

Shock week started Sunday night. Delts and arms.

Basically, the rules of shock week are "do what you didn't do last time."

So, after a couple weeks of straight sets on power and rep-range week, shock week brings into play stuff like supersets, dropsets, overload X-reps (x-rep after each full rep, sort of like 1-1/4's),and DC (doggcrap) style training, where you take only 15-20 seconds between sets: sort of a variation on rest/pause.

DELTS
    Smith Wide Upright Row 85, 115 (warmup), 165*8/6/4 + 6x + 6 sec
    Cable Upright Row 190/150/120*10/7/7 + 12x
    Sitting Lateral Raises 45/35/25*8/7/4 + 8sec
    Leaning 1-arm Lateral raise 25*10 (full rep followed by x-rep) + 7x + 6sec
    Hammer Press/DB Press (superset) 180*10/6/4 + 30*12 + 6x
    Rear Delt Fly 120*12 + 10x

TRIS
    Hammer Dip 90, 140 (warmup), 180*8/7/4 + 3x
    Wide Elbow V-Bar Pushdown 190/150/120*9/7/7 + 6sec
    Overhead Cable Extension (1-arm) 50/40*7/6

BIS
    Hammer Preacher 50, 65 (warmup), 80*9/7/5 + 6x + 6sec
    Reverse Incline DB Spider Curl/Incline DB Curl (superset) 20*12 + 8x + 8 sec, 20*10 (full rep followed by x-rep)
    Incline CB Hammer Curl 25/15/10*12/8/7 + 3x
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-29-2007 at 11:50 AM.

what's the rationale behind doing bb and then db sldls? I know the usual rationale for db exercises but for some reason my brain doesn't want to apply it to glutes, hams, and posterior chain, lol.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Slightly easier on your lower back since the dumbbells are slightly off to your side, so the line of pull is different. Since my lower back's been off the past week, I figured it was worth trying.

Decided to take last night off and give my lower back an extra night of rest. Legs tonight. I'm going to leave squats out. Just means I can go heavier on leg presses.

Shock day for quads. No squats for a change. Dogcrapp-style on midranges.

Leg Press 360, 540 (warmup), 720*9/5/4 + 4x
    Leg Extension/Leg Press (superset) 195*15, 540*8
    Leg Extension (drop) 225/180/135 * 12/9/7 + 5x + 6 sec
    Sissy Squat BW*12 + 8x + 6 sec

Leg Press Calf 360 (warmup), 590*17/10 + 5x
    Standing Calf 495/405/315*19/12/8 + 8 sec
    Donkey Calf (full rep, x-rep alternating) 360*10
    Sitting Calf 142*12/10/8 + 6x + 10 sec

Threw in one set of extra-light, extra-slow leg curls to stretch them out:

Sitting Leg Curl 150*18

The extra-long sets wiped me. I forgot to have caffeine pre-workout, unusual for me. The adrenaline spike was missing, so I was ready to pack it in at the end, unlike how I usually feel.

Whoa, strong legs! Nice work.

Thanks Twilo... not my max, but I'm coasting a little till my lower back's 100%.

Got back tonight. Let me just say that I feel stupid for not taking advantage of stuff like aspir-cream for my back earlier. What a difference!

I hear we might be getting a big snow this weekend. Better get out the muckluck training sneakers. :-)

Last night was shock night for back and forearms. I decided to shake things up a little by doing midback prior to lats...heresy, I know, but I've been starting with lats for so long...

Still trying to figure out why my lower back's still not great on deadlifts. I tried some ridiculously light rack deads from the outset, but my back didn't like them last night. Oh well, maybe next time. Someone told me I should try flexing my abs tight at the start, and keep them flexed throughout the move.
    I'll try that tip.

Did a mix of supersets and DC-style last night. I felt like just doing some different exercises for a change, like the high pull hammer rows which I rarely do, and the reverse shrugs on the pulldown, which always give me a nice soreness right in the belly of the lat.

Rack deadlift 95, 135 (warmup) back twinging so decided to move on
    High hammer row/T-bar superset 110, 140 (warmup), 190*12/80*12 + 8x + 8sec
    High hammer row DC 210*8/7/4 + 8x + 10 sec
    Narrow grip cable row 140*15 + 8x + 6sec
    " " "/Reverse incline DB raise superset 150*12/30*15 + 6x + 4 sec

Shoulder-width Parallel Grip PD 100, 130 (warmup), 160*10/7/4
    Straight Arm Reverse Shrug on PD 200*15 + 12x + 6 sec
    " " "/Undergrip PD superset 220*12/100*15 + 8x + 6 sec
    Narrow Parallel PD/Rope Pullover superset 140*12/ 100/80/60 *8/7/6 + 4 sec

Shrug on calf raise (feet on floor) DC 495*25/17/13 + 6x (need to add plates)
    Lat raises above shoulder height 15*10/8/8

Reverse Wrist Curl 40/30/20*15/12/11 + 10 sec hold