The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Deadlifts Vs. Rack Pulls

What kind of difference in weights that you can do is there? I find I can do rack pulls with a much higher weight than I can deadlifts. Anyone else? Also, why?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your range of motion during a rack pull is less than a DL.
    Not a whole lot of work for your legs when doing a rack pull because the weight is already thigh high.

I like rack pulls for a few reasons:

They let me get some of the benefit of a deadlift for my back without overtaxing my hams, for which I really like RDLs. I've also got really lousy form for deads, and always scrape the crap out of my shins. This way I don't lose skin to work my posterior chain.

They are not quite equivalent to an off the floor dead, although you can vary the pin height so you hit them different ways. As I understand it, they can be quite helpful for working sticking points in your off the floor deads.

Ever thought of wearing football shin pads to protect your shins?...Soccer to you American types ;-)
    My Signature is built by Sonor...Greatest drums in the world.
    My Training Journal..http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...80#post1249780

Use rack pulls if you have problems with lockout. Don't use them if your weak point is at the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I've also got really lousy form for deads, and always scrape the crap out of my shins.
    Try switching to sumo . Better than nothing.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    Use rack pulls if you have problems with lockout. Don't use them if your weak point is at the floor.

Try switching to sumo . Better than nothing.
    My weak point is definately at the floor. What can I do to improve that? Or is the answer just lots of deads?

Also, what is sumo?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    My weak point is definately at the floor. What can I do to improve that?
    atf Squats
    Last edited by muscleup; 11-18-2005 at 01:28 PM.

If you have problems getting it off the floor, then pull from 25's or 35's. You want to increase the ROM at the bottom. ATF squats might have some carryover but if you are particularly trying to increase the deadlift then do increased ROM deadlifts.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

To help your deadlift pull off the floor, do rack squats. You do not start with your ass on the floor when doing deads, instead your hips are generally a little above parallel. Thus, do heavy rack squats with the pins set where your hips will be just above parallel on your deadlift day. You should be able to do 150-250lbs more than your regular squats on them.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Hey Built -

Why don't you use some really heavy dumbells, or find a trap (rickshaw) bar to do your deads with (maybe you can get your gym to order one if they don't already have one). That way you take the tension off of your hams and keep the weight clear of your shins simultaneously.

DJ
    Last edited by djreef; 11-19-2005 at 12:07 PM.

No Information Provided
    Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    Hey Built -

Why don't you use some really heavy dumbells, or find a trap (rickshaw) bar to do your deads with (maybe you can get your gym to order one if they don't already have one). That way you take the tension off of your hams and keep the weight clear of your shins simultaneously.

DJ
    Thread derail: Would dead lifting dumbells be just as good as barbell dead lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by anasthetic
    Thread derail: Would dead lifting dumbells be just as good as barbell dead lifting?
    Define "as good as". It's a much different motion, since your arms aren't locked in front of you. I would say DB deadlifts are better than no deadlifts, but why not just do BB deadlifts?

Also, to address the weak off the floor problem. I know fortifiedIron suggested bands and chains, but he's a hardcore mofo and I doubt you have bands/chains or want to buy them. His suggestion is probably the best, but barring access to that equipment...

Do the deadlifts either with smaller plates like someone else said, or put something under your feet (like a plate or a pad) so that when you grab the bar you have to sit down lower. These help train liftoff very well without having to buy the extra equipment. Be sure not to round your back like fortifiediron said, since it is much more appealing to round when the bar sits lower.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

To help pull off the floor:

1. Put ****loads of band tension at the start of the pull.

2. Lay chains on over the end of the bar. Set them up so at about knee height the chains will fall off the bar and go to the ground. I suggest taking a plate and adding to one end of the chain to make sure it falls off at the sametime.

3. Pull from smaller plates. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy the 45lb Gold Gym plates. They are smaller then the 45's and a little bit bigger then the 35s.

4. You can pull stand on a 1x6 or 2x6. However dont round your back at the start of the pull or get into bad positioning. I'm workin with one kid right now on this and everytime he rounds his back i hit him in the head or in the middle of the back with a broom stick

Kc

I also forgot to mention snatch grip pulls...this helps keep yourself upright.

At one time I could do a snatch grip pull standing on a 2x6 and get into perfect positioning. Now im fat and older and dont have the flexibility lol

Kc