Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only gaining fat on a bulk????

Only gaining fat on a bulk????

So far I've been bulking for about 3 weeks and I've put on 4 pounds of mostly fat. I've gained .25-.75 pounds of muscles and the rest fat. Is there a way to correct this? I've been eating very strictly, just about 3200 calories a day, with somewhere between 100-125 g of fat, 250-275 g of carbs, and 170-200 g of protein, all of it from healthy sources. I've been lifting harder than ever too, and I've been gaining more fat . Help!
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

have you been having trouble gaining weight?

previous to starting a hardcore bulk? yes, i was stuck at about 145 pounds for 2-3 months, but once I started a strict bulk, I've been gaining 1-2 pounds a week every week.

i've only bulked once and that was recently so we might have to wait for more experienced members to give advice. this thread might help you though http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=70594

are you using the same person to measure your body fat or what are you using to measure bf%?

actually, i'm using one of the little machines you hold in your hand and it sends an electric impulse through your body. Not sure what it's called, but I used the exact same one, at the same time (pre-workout) as when I did before.

I'm been bulking for about 3 weeks now too at 3200 calories...so far i started at 163.5lbs at 15% bf and today I was 167.5lbs. at 16% bf...i was 14% when i was in the high 150s...seems like i'm putting on too much fat...does that sound right, or should i slow down a bit? I've been putting on approx. a pound a week like i'm supposed to, yet I've went up 2% in bodyfat already!

yeah, i'm basically the same. I went from 144 @ 9% to 148 @ 11 % body fat. To me, it doesn't make sense, but thats why I asked

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but I don't think those electronic meters are all that accurate. They are based on electrical resistance across your body, so I think readings can vary a lot with level of hydration, how much salt you're eating, etc. Also, I believe they assume an arm length and overall body size for the resistance calculation, so if your limbs are longer than most, it may read higher. Granted, that should be the same from use to use, but I think a good pinch test is probably most accurate (short of submersion).
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

If I hit 17% I'm gonna start cutting again damnit...lol...i''m already disgusted with the fat...i figured with a slow bulk and still being new to lifting, i could still drop the bf and slowly gain muscle, but i've already put on 2% bf...i don't know what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Big & Tall
    I'm not sure, but I don't think those electronic meters are all that accurate. They are based on electrical resistance across your body, so I think readings can vary a lot with level of hydration, how much salt you're eating, etc. Also, I believe they assume an arm length and overall body size for the resistance calculation, so if your limbs are longer than most, it may read higher. Granted, that should be the same from use to use, but I think a good pinch test is probably most accurate (short of submersion).
    I agree that the things are horrible inaccurate. But I think that it should be consistant from person to person, unless it changes based on diet, in which case I've been taking in alot more protein/fats.

that looks like alot of fat.. but i duno i've never bulked before.. but i thought that bulking means more carbs mostly
    I don't have time. I make time.

No Information Provided
    Try upping the cardio that could help with your nutrient partitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nongan
    I agree that the things are horrible inaccurate. But I think that it should be consistant from person to person
    Mine was been surprisingly accurate...it's been consistant...as long as i weight the same time everyday...i can notice the difference throughout the day, but in the morning it's been consistant..

Yeah, using it at the same time of day, and particularly at the same hydration level would minimize the variability.

My Journal

so what are some suggestions for minimizing the fat i gain on a bulk? eat less, or should I do something else?

I see one big problem with your diet.. a lot of fat and not that much protein.. move some of those fat cals over to carb and protein and it should help.. I've always bulked in craploads of carbs and protein and lower fats and its worked well.. fat and carbs together tends to just make people fat.. you want carbs for energy and protein for muscle

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

:withstupi

Generally go for less fat, more protein and carbs when bulking. Too much cardio is counterproductive, but you might want to try HIIT. Check out the "More Reasons That HIIT Rules" sticky in the bodybuilding/fitness forums. The short of it is that HIIT will help you preferentially burning fat, whereas lower intensity cardio will just use up all the extra calories you're eating.

My Journal

Ok, I looked at HIIT. Seems interesting, but shortly I will be starting competitive soccer, and I'll train 2 days a week for 2 hours each day, all high intensity, so do you think that's a good substitute for HIIT?

I bulk on the worst foods possible. HIIT helps tremendously.

another way to bulk is high fats low carbs, which is for people who react badly to carbs.

Hey Nongan, using that thing you're using to measure your body fat is crap. You said you've been bulking for 3 weeks at 1-2lbs a week, so in the past couple of weeks you've probably put on some water weight, which will be reflected on that thing that you're using, as being body fat. Dude buy looking at your pic, you could stand to put on a little fat, but I hight doubt you've put on 2% that quick. Just keep on bulking and if you need to, lower the cals so that you're gaining only 1 lb a week. Use the mirror more than the scale and that p.o.s bf scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelBigFish
    Hey Nongan, using that thing you're using to measure your body fat is crap. You said you've been bulking for 3 weeks at 1-2lbs a week, so in the past couple of weeks you've probably put on some water weight, which will be reflected on that thing that you're using, as being body fat. Dude buy looking at your pic, you could stand to put on a little fat, but I hight doubt you've put on 2% that quick. Just keep on bulking and if you need to, lower the cals so that you're gaining only 1 lb a week. Use the mirror more than the scale and that p.o.s bf scale.
    Yeah, you definitely need more time than 3 weeks or so to tell what your really gaining.... don't just go by what the little meter says, use a mirror.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

ok, thanks guys. so you think its probably just a lot of water weight, and I should keep bulking, and maybe cut the cals some.

I wouldn't cut the cals that much. You've been gaining 1.33 pounds per week, which is really a pretty good pace. Also, if you're starting soccer, your calorie usage is going to go WAY up. At your age and size, If you're doing 2 hours of soccer practice twice a week, then lifting three days a week, I would say eat absolutely everything you can find, and don't worry about additional cardio.

My Journal