Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's Full Body 5x5

Tim's Full Body 5x5

I'm not sure how, or if, this is going to work for me, but I'm going to give it a try. My only clear goal to start will be to remain consistant. I would like to get in 3 days a week. No more, no less. I'll focus on compound movements for back, chest and legs each session. I may throw in a few sets for arms or calves here and there, when needed. Today was my first session, which I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Squats
    45 x 8
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Incline Bench
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

T-Bar Rows
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

I had no idea where I would be for t-bar rows, but 70 lbs was a little too light. I wanted to feel it out and see where my foot and body placement should be. It was pretty straight forward though. Maybe jump up to 95 lbs next time.

I need to come up with a few different sessions that I can alternate through. I'd be up for suggestions if anyone has any.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Very intresting I am gonna be trying the 5x5 very shortly here and I will be having Anthony help me out since that is what hes currently doing. Maybe he can help you out, or perhaps you should look through his journal..

It looks good to me so far though.. good luck
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Ooh yeah a little decoration for your journal

PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Tim, if you are following the same structure as me, try this ...

On day 1, use the same weight on squats for 5x5. For your bench and rows, build up to your max 5 ... meaning don't use the same weight for all 5 sets.

On day 2, do 70% of your monday squat weight, shoulder work, deads, and chins.

On day 3, build up on squats to your monday weight. For bench and rows, use your last set weight from monday for all 5 sets.

Hope that makes sense, if not just take a look at one week from my journal (monday/wednesday/friday of last week is a good example). It will ensure you get some "rest" instead of going heavy every day.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Looks good to me.

Another idea would be to split it upper/lower:

Day 1. Deads/squats + hamstring movement like SLDLs

Day 2. Bench + rows/pullups + some kind of shoulder press

You could alternate that and at once build more variety and recovery time into your routine.

lilmase1153 - Thanks for the decoration. Everybody needs a little

Anthony - Thanks for the outline. It made sense . Do you have suggestions on how to choose which exercise I'll want to alternate between for the same body parts? Like should I choose a variation of squats and bench between sessions? I think I know what to do for back. I'll alternate between deads, rows and chins.

Scott S - That's not a bad idea, but I think I'm going to give the full body routine a try. I've been pretty busy, so I think I would benefit from working my whole body when I do get in.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 11-20-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Good luck, Tim. What's the weight at now? (*AHEM*)
    Oh yeah, how's the back going after that 4-wheeler incident?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Anthony - Thanks for the outline. It made sense . Do you have suggestions on how to choose which exercise I'll want to alternate between for the same body parts? Like should I choose a variation of squats and bench between sessions? I think I know what to do for back. I'll alternate between deads, rows and chins.
    I don't alternate any of my main exercises.

Monday is always squat, bench, rows.

Wednesday is always squat, military, deads, chinups.

Friday is always squat, bench, rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I don't alternate any of my main exercises.

Monday is always squat, bench, rows.

Wednesday is always squat, military, deads, chinups.

Friday is always squat, bench, rows.
    Then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the help Anthony.

TTT -The back has been good. The weight is still the same. I haven't been lifting much in the last few months. Just enough to maintain.

squat it all!
    tim, good luck. this format, especially as edited by anthony, makes a lot of sense and should give you good gains.
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    tim, good luck. this format, especially as edited by anthony, makes a lot of sense and should give you good gains.
    I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement.

Very interesting concept you have going on here Tim, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with it. I was actually thinking about incorporating 10 sets of 10 into my training.

Nice inclines dude. If you could do 135 * 5 * 5, i'm sure your flat BP has to be higher than 205?

Also, Anthony's suggestion sounds good. I may try it myself. Considering how much the guy lifts, it's gotta work..

I just opened a FitDay account and gave up after spending 5 minutes trying to find the yogurt I had today. Pfft, what a scam. Actually it probably gets easier when you modify the foods you normally eat and save them. At least it looks like you can do that .

I'll be heading into the gym tonight at 7:00 p.m. Giving myself a time to get in is part of my main goal so far. Which is to stay consistant. I've been planning on coming in tonight since my last workout, so now I'm sticking to it. I have my weights down, as outlined by Anthony (can't thank you enough), so I should be able to get in and out. I'm pumped. I'll be back on tonight to post the workout.

ufc2005 - Thanks bro. The inclines were really strong for some reason. I'm guessing the long ass break had something to do with it . I'll have to test my max bench again sometime soon and see if it's up.

11/22/05

Squats

45 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5

Military Press
    45 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5

Deadlifts
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5

Pull Ups - Neutral Grip
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Great workout tonight. I got to the gym at 7:00 p.m. as planned. I did 70% of my last workouts weight for squats, and then just did what felt like the right resistance for the following exercises. I think I'll up squats next week about 20 lbs. Everything else, as far as weights, felt good. I'll keep those the same for a few weeks until my body adjusts to the volume.

The diet has been good the last few days. I've been eating a lot, and staying away from anything too unhealthy. I'll probably lift again on Friday, just because Thursday will be too busy with Turkey Day. Gobble gobble everyone.

Nice lookin lifts Tim. I'm following a modified 5x5 and making good gains. I think you'll see some big lifts come your way.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Tim, I have no evidence to back this up, but I think smaller/more consistant increases will allow you to stick with this routine longer (meaning more overall progress). I know you can handle +20, but if you go +10 for 2 weeks instead, you'll be that much stronger by the time week 3 roles around. I've been tempted to increase faster (especially on squats), but the 5-10lbs increases have kept me progressing a lot easier/faster than if I brought myself to the limit of my strength too quickly. Trust me, there will come a time when you're struggling to get that last set, but I don't think now is that time.

Again, I have no evidence to back any of this up, so feel free to research/get other opinions.

Anthony - The only reason I wanted to jump up 20 lbs is because I only did 5x5 with 135 lbs. In my previous workouts over the last few months, I've been doing 4-6 sets, in a rep range of 3-8, with 185-205 lbs. My max squat is at 250 lbs. So I thought I would bump it up 20 lbs to 155 x 5. I would still only be at about 60% of my max.

Would you still suggest a 2 week increase for the 20 lbs based on what I've been doing last few months?

As a side note, I only plan on increasing weights 5-10 lbs in the future. It's just that I started a little lower than normal on the squats.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 11-23-2005 at 08:51 AM.

It's your choice, but I would personally go with +10. It gives you more time to adjust to the volume and frequency of squatting so often. Like I said, there will come a day when you pray for +10 ... so for now, let your body adjust and be happy.

Sounds like good advice. I'll go with 10 lbs.

On the other hand, my gf is squatting 115x5x5 and is on track to hit 135x5x5 by end of year. So you may want to step it up a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    On the other hand, my gf is squatting 115x5x5 and is on track to hit 135x5x5 by end of year. So you may want to step it up a notch.
    Oh no you didn't!

Whaaaa .. I thought you needed some motivation.

I do, but that was just wrong.

Don't feel bad. We did "tabata this" on Saturday and she beat me at chinups. It WON'T happen again, I can guarantee you that.