Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Direct arm work.........

Compounds don't do it for me, if I dont do direct work, my arms will not grow.

bone crusher
    bottom line is if you want big arms, then you need to work them hard, either through appropriate compounds, or direct work

i do direct work and always have maybe after this cut i may see were not training them directly gets me
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

i do 2 sets for bis after back workout and 2 sets for tris after chest workout.
    Height:5'8
    Weight:155

Journal

Never!

Wow, interesting to see how many do not hit them directly. I've gotten fantastic results with mine, so I think I will stick with it
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Twice a month I try to do 2-3 sets of BB curls on my Upper (Back emphasis) day, and 2-3 sets of Skulls on my Upper (Chest emphasis) day.

Those are the only lifts I will do for 'direct' arm work.

Squating is better for your arms than anything though.

2 sets (of 6 as heavy as possible) for bi's on back day, 2 sets for tri's (same) on chest day.

I think direct arm work has its benefits...especially direct bicep work...but more often than not trainees will do as many sets for their biceps or more than they do for their quads, you're just asking for overtraining and tendonitis doing that. Personally i don't think direct tri work is "necessary" if you're doing a lot of pushing movements...but its not detrimental either...as to what is optimum, that is dependant upon multiple variables.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup
    I think direct arm work has its benefits...especially direct bicep work...but more often than not trainees will do as many sets for their biceps or more than they do for their quads, you're just asking for overtraining and tendonitis doing that. Personally i don't think direct tri work is "necessary" if you're doing a lot of pushing movements...but its not detrimental either...as to what is optimum, that is dependant upon multiple variables.
    If anything, I think the exact opposite. Ask lots of PLers what they think about tricep isolation. KC even said in this thread that he hasn't done any bicep work. This is where movements like the board press come in.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    If anything, I think the exact opposite. Ask lots of PLers what they think about tricep isolation. KC even said in this thread that he hasn't done any bicep work. This is where movements like the board press come in.
    I guess it can vary by individual...i train WSB and do some direct work for both. But, I know that personally i can go months without much if any direct tricep work and still rep out 225 on close grips like its nothing, yet if i go an extended period of time without doing any direct bicep work, when i come back and try to hit them, my strength is substantially lower.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    After working back (which works the biceps anyway) I do one set of hammer curls.
    After working chest (which works the triceps anyway) I do one set of either dips or cable extensions.
    :withstupi

This is pretty much what I do. On back days I finish with one set of BB or DB curls. On chest days I finish with one set of dips or cable extensions. I've had more noticeable growth on my triceps, than on any other body part (this was one of my weakest areas when I started working out).
    Last edited by rdkraus; 11-21-2005 at 01:47 PM.

LOL STFU!
    i do'em once a week if i have time.

Wannabebig Member
    Dips... Dips...dips... hardly any bicep curls now.

For those starting out and.....
    if no gym to go to, or sturdy pair of chairs, try the 'reverse couch potato form'. Place a sturdy 18" tall plastic storage box upside down and 3' from your couch. Facing the couch now put hands gripping the front sides- Sit on the box, making sure it's sturdy, put your feet stretched out onto the couch and then ease your bum off the box and start dipping deep and focused.
    Last edited by Vegilles; 11-22-2005 at 10:00 PM.