Thread: WBB Vets / Experts- My New Routine CRITIQUE..

WBB Vets / Experts- My New Routine CRITIQUE..

I have decided to change up my training routine after much thought and after asking many members in the Training Board, this is what I have finally come up with.

Day 1. Back, Traps, Biceps, Forearms/Grip.
    Deadlifts 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    Wide-grip Front Chins 3 sets bodyweight to failure
    Bentover Overhand EZ-bar Rows 2 sets 6-7 reps, 4-5 reps
    Barbell Shrugs... 3 sets pyramidding 9-10 reps, 7-8 reps, 5-6 reps... following each set move onto Dumbbbell Shrugs.. holding for a 5 second count at the top of the movement 8-10 reps
    Barbell Curls 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Hammer Curls 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Timed-holds CoC 1 set to failure
    Pinching-plates 1 set to failure
    Thick-bar Wrist-roller 1 set to failure
    Barbell Wrist Curls 1 set to failure
    Barbell Reverse Wrist Curls 1 set to failure
    CoC Reps 1 set to failure

Day 2. Rest.

Day 3. Chest, Delts, Triceps.
    Weighted Dips 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    Flat Dumbbell Presses 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    Flat Dumbbell Flyes 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Overhead Dumbbell Presses 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    One-arm Dumbbell Side-laterals 3 sets 9-10, 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Lying EZ-bar Ext. 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps
    One-arm Dumbbell Overhead Ext. 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps

Day 4. Rest.

Day 5. Legs.
    Leg Presses 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    One-leg Ext. 3 sets 9-10, 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Dumbbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts 2 sets 7-8, 5-6 reps
    One-leg Curls 2 sets 9-10, 7-8 reps
    Seated Calf Raises 2 sets 20-25, 15-20 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 10-12, 6-10 reps

Day 6. Rest.

Day 7. Possible Rest / Start Split Over.

Things that I have changed are only a few. Obviously I changed up a few exercises. I also decided to start pyramidding weight. Instead of just doing straight sets now I will adding maybe 5-15 lbs. every set. While decreasing the reps obviously. My forearm/grip routine will pretty much change week to week. I know that it seems like a lot of work for forearms/grip. But honestly, its 6 TOTAL sets, and 2 of the sets are static holds, so I am almost positive Ill be fine. And during the Push and Leg day I barely even use my grip.

Wannabebig Member
    looks solid and very similar to what i do.

only thing i dislike.....leg press, but im a squat junkie....so i guess its alright.

Looks good man, one thing you could try is to do the leg extensions first, to pre exhaust yur quads, this way they fail before your glutes. LOL it took developing a hell of an ass before I figured this out. The hammies will get hit harder this way too, since the sld's will be done right after the leg press.

I think that doing deads and shrugs will hit your forearms pretty good. I know on back day my forearms are supertight after, like they are perma-flexed.

Other than that it looks fine...squats would be something you may think of adding in the future...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Looks very good.

Focus on progression.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thanks guys.. REALLY appreciate it big time. I needed your guys opinion before I went ahead and started doing the routine..

beercan-
    As for what you said, I used to do that, and I am am going to do it again now that you have suggested it. Only because my ass does get REALLY sore after leg presses...

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Looks very solid, Only minor changes I'd make

Leg day-

Same feeling as BC, I love single leg ext. so I would move them to the front. I don't like normal leg presses, First off moving 18-20 plates to one machine is a F'ing pain in the ass. Second I would always get stronger on it but I never felt like I was getting much out of the exercise itself, no real deep burn, no uncontrolable shaking of the legs which forces you to sit on the nasty gym floor since you can't stand. So I'd prefer to see a squat, pre-fatigue on leg extensions then into serious squating was always my foundation. However since I no longer have the range of motion in my shoulders to hold the bar for a squat, I've managed to find a way to make the leg press useful (for me anyways). Use a light load at first since doing them this way severly reduces the amount of weight you can use. start your set by performing single leg presses, using a 5 second lowering portion and a brief pause at the bottom, I usually go for 10-12 reps. Then immediately switch to the other leg and repeat. after that you move back to the leg you started with and try to get within 2 reps of what the # you did the first time. Then switch back to the other leg and repeat. After you finish that NOW you can place both feet on the press and do your set, usually try to rep out 10-15 since the weight will be light for both legs to press, however the lactic acid build up is gonna kill. You really only need 2 sets of these but you can go for 3 if you don't plan on climbing any stairs the next day.

Don't see a problem with chest, delt, tri day
    minor changes I'd make based on what I've found most effective for myself and guys I've worked with would be

Inclusion of some kind of incline lift. so one week do you incline flyes, flat dumbell press next week do incline dumbell press flat bench flyes.

Personally I don't like weighted dips as the lead off exercise because of the tricep recruitment. I consider it more of a tricep movement or finisher for chest so I generally place it last. 2 strip sets at the end of chest I find to be an excellent finisher. One set might use 2 plates or 2 quarters depending on strength. Perform as many reps as possible, remove a plate/quarter, perform as many more reps as possible, lose the the weight belt and perform as many bodyweight dips as possible.

From here I like to move into close-grip bench if tri's are placed next. I'd vary which muscle you work next every few workouts. Yes doing tri's first will effect your ability to shoulder press but their are so many shoulder exercises you shouldn't be pressing every workout anyways.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Severed Ties-
    Thanks for the reply. Everything that you have said I already took into consideration. Again thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Chest with dips I always take a HUGE beating in my pecs, and I never can feel it in my triceps at all. So that wouldnt be a problem.

HELP!

After doing my first day with this new routine. I think I need to change the order of the exercises. I know that Severed Ties swears by deadlifts first, but that really messed up my other 2 back exercises.

Okay heres what my back workout was today.
    deads 315x7; 335x5; 360x4
    chins (bw) 8x7x6 (assisted)
    Yates rows 200x7; 205x6

Okay my grip was f*cked from the deads, my back was exausted so my chin strength was a joke, my Yates rows I could barely feel in my rhomboids and back because my low back was aching from the deads.. I am thinking of maybe changing it up to... chins, rows, then deads. Would this be THAT bad of an idea?

Also I am DEFINITELY getting some straps for this workout. I know I can go a lot heavier on deads and rows.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

You don't need to dead.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

bone crusher
    if yates rows are bentover rows i would think the lower back is stimulated, right?

Bigger fewl
    Definately do the rows first.

Other people are telling you to do squats on leg day. Don't, that would be way too much on your posterior chain and really quads and glutes to.

Routine looks really good. Use straps, on the grip program you're on now, your grip strength should catch up eventually anyways. You are using a mixed grip on deadlifts right?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

There is no reason to perform both deads and stiffs in the same routine. These 2 exercises combined with the bent over rows and leg press will lead to overtraining of the lower back, especially if all exercises are taken to failure. To fix your problem, I recommend that you switch the deads to first on your leg day. Drop the stiffs, and perform the leg press after the deadlifts. This will allow for a lot of lower back stimulation with plenty of work for the quads and hamstrings. Keep the rest of the workout the same.

Thanks guys..

If I drop the stiff-deads.. what should I do for hams?
    Leg ext.
    Leg presses
    Leg curls

That all?

The one legged curls work the hamstrings quite nicely, and they get worked during the leg press and deadlift, no need for anything else. As for performing the leg extensions first, if you have healthy knees, I think it is best to perform the presses first and use as much weight as possible. I have performed pre-exhaustion routines extensively, and while I like them, I have always preferred to train as heavy as possible with compound movements. I have found this to work better for me than pre-exhaustion based routines. One of the reasons is that as you get into the PE (pre-exhaustion) workouts, it becomes difficult to judge your progress on the compound movement. This is due to the fact that as you train to failure with the isolation movement (ex. leg extensions), and you increase the resistance used, your progress in the compound movement is much slower. In other words, you start a PE routine for legs using leg extensions and leg presses. At first, you use 150 lbs for 6 reps on the extensions followed by 600 lbs for 6 reps on the press. After a few workouts, you have worked up to 170 lbs for 6 on the extensions, but you are only able to press 610 lbs for 6 on the press. Your quads are fried by the extensions, but your glutes and hams are not pushed as hard as they would be with fresh quads, and you are not able to press relatively as much weight as you have progressed to on the extensions. So, the quads are getting great work, but the other muscles involved in the movement are not getting worked as hard in a relative sense. This has been my experience with PE, and I have used it quite extensively as I mentioned above. It seems that I get better overall growth stimulation for the legs by performing straight sets with heavy weights in the compound movements, followed by isolation movements with straight sets.

Yeah well see I guess.. again thanks for the reply bro.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Chris reccomending deads for legs!! I'm impressed!

On Friday, for legs I'll be doing heavy deads, followed by leg extensions to pre-exhaust the quads before hitting the leg press.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Thanks again for the replies guys.. does this look good then..

Back, Traps.
    Wide-grip Front Chins 3 sets bodyweight to failure
    Bentover Underhand EZ-bar Rows 2 sets 6-7 reps, 4-5 reps
    Deadlifts 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    Barbell Shrugs... 3 sets pyramidding 9-10 reps, 7-8 reps, 5-6 reps... following each set move onto Dumbbbell Shrugs.. holding for a 5 second count at the top of the movement 8-10 reps

I am going to start off with wide-grip chins because I think this is the exercise that needs the most work. Even as I am losing weight I still can only get maybe 6-7 chins unassisted. And thats pretty bad when I used to be able to get 12. I used straps then though.. I am going to buy somes straps this weekend. Anyone have any specific brand they recommend? My wrists are starting to ache lately.

I am curious do you guys recommend / prefer, underhand or overhand grip rows? I have done both and I used to LOVE underhand but after doing overhand I am not sure. Overhand I can really pinch my rhomboids hard.. what do you guys think?

Legs.
    One-leg Ext. 3 sets 9-10, 7-8, 5-6 reps
    Leg Presses 3 sets 7-8, 5-6, 3-4 reps
    One-leg Curls 3 sets 9-10, 7-8 reps
    Seated Calf Raises 2 sets 20-25, 15-20 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 10-12, 6-10 reps

This look okay? I am going to keep deadlifts on back day just because my entire back is always FLAMED the next day after I have done them. Please check out these 2 routines that I have posted.

Chris, Paul, Belial, Maki, Severed, the doc, whoever...
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-03-2002 at 01:36 PM.

Bump.

BumpZ.

~bump

I would still do the deadlifts on leg day. Just give yourself enough rest between the sessions to recover sufficiently.

As for recommending the deadlifts Latman, I did so because he likes the movement, and I think that if he does them and heavy leg press combined with the other leg exercises, he has covered his bases rather nicely.