Thread: ok to lose 2lbs/week on very first cut

PoutineEh

ok to lose 2lbs/week on very first cut

im about 5'10, 183 lbs. if i were to take a guess at my body fat %, id probably say maybe around 20-22% (just a guess). i am going to start my first cut (after thanksgiving) and try and lose around 10-20 lbs by the end of february. i read you should try and lose 1 lb a week to avoid losing muscle, but since i have all this excess fat, i was wondering if for the first few weeks if it was ok to lose 2 lbs or so and then when my bf% goes down, i can try and hit 1 lb a week? or should i stick with 1 lb a week regardless?

next time i bulk (will be 2nd bulk; ending my first bulk now as i start first cut), hopefully i will be in decent shape so i wont mind gaining a few pounds of fat, but right now i feel i really need to drop some weight. ill be much happier if i were skinner than if i gained more muscle continuing my bulk at the moment. it will also be nice to see some of the muscles better i gained during my first bulk.

2 pound a week is possible but you will loose more lbm than you would at only 1 pound per week. im in a similar boat check my journal if ya want/need anything or just for info
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Just wondering what would happen if you cut from 3000 cals to 2000 cals a week on a cut, but somehow managed to keep your protein at the same level. How much LBM would you be expecting to loose each week?

PoutineEh
    just thought when i first start exercising and watching my diet, i usually start losing a decent amount each week, then after about 3 weeks, it slows down. after 3 weeks or so would be when i will start shooting for 1 lb a week...
    yea we seem to be in the same boat. ill be watching your journal.

I am just curious, have you decided what diet you plan to follow?...At the moment I am also cutting and I have been following built diet for 3 months. She recommend to do a 15%-20% calorie deficit that has me dropping around 1.2lb-1.5lbs a week. It's no 2lb a week, but I have been able to go down to 222lbs with 20.6%bf from 240lbs with 25% bf. Rough estimate been I have lost 1lb of lbm for every 3.75lb of fat. You can probably get better ratios if you decide to lose less lb's a week, but I will take it.

-Sidenote: Nice journal Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Just wondering what would happen if you cut from 3000 cals to 2000 cals a week on a cut, but somehow managed to keep your protein at the same level. How much LBM would you be expecting to loose each week?
    If you want try it yourself. Measure your bf% and weight before hand. Then reduce your calorie maintanance intake by 1,000. Keep protien intake same and remeasure your weight and bf% every week. Bodyweight x bf%=lbs of fat. Bodyweight-lb fat= lbm. By the way, I am not liable to what happen to you. You decided to do it yourself. MY guess, would be you get worse lbm to fat ratio then dropping less lb's per week. There a thread by pup that stated a guy was dropping 1lb of lbm-1lb of fat ratio, which is horrible as you will just drop weight, but have the same bf% making you skinny fat (but this is worse case scenario, I think the guy was dropping 4lbs a week).
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 11-22-2005 at 11:40 AM.

I'm on a bulk, it was just a question out of curisoity. Why would you loose LBM faster while keeping the same amount of protein while cutting cals as opposed to lowering the protein as well as your cals to keep your macro %'s the same?

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    I'm on a bulk, it was just a question out of curisoity. Why would you loose LBM faster while keeping the same amount of protein while cutting cals as opposed to lowering the protein as well as your cals to keep your macro %'s the same?
    Here what I was able to find. By the way, when I ask you to try it. I had no idea, so thanks as I learn something new also.

Quote Originally Posted by Calorie deficit thresholds: How low is too low?
    "It is well known that cutting calories too much slows down the metabolic rate, decreases thyroid output and causes loss of lean mass, so the question is how much of a deficit do you need? There definitely seems to be a specific cutoff or threshold where further reductions in calories will have detrimental effects. The most common guideline for calorie deficits for fat loss is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For some, especially lighter people, 1000 calories may be too much of a deficit. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 per day for men. Even these calorie levels are extremely low. A more individualized way to determine the safe calorie deficit would be to account for one's bodyweight or TDEE. Reducing calories by 15-20% below TDEE is a good place to start. A larger deficit may be necessary in some cases, but the best approach would be to keep the calorie deficit through diet small while increasing activity level."
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 11-22-2005 at 02:41 PM.

PoutineEh
    guess i will just try and just do 1 lb or so a week...

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Your body can only lose a finite amount of fat per week. I won't speculate on what this amount is but there is a finite amount of enzymes that can be produced per week. These enzymes are required to mobilize & metabolize fat.

The average bb eating well and training hard should lose next to zero muscle at 1lb/week.

After you go past that the body starts to eat into lean mass more and more. Someone losing 5lbs/week is sure to lose significant muscle.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    4-5 pounds a month is healthy weight loss. If you're losing 8 or so pounds a month, you're probably losing more than just fat, possibly water and/or muscle.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I cut very slowly. I went from about 143 lbs in February to 130 lbs by the end of July. If caliper measurements are to be trusted, I went from about 113 lbs LBM to about 111 lbs LBM in that time, and even managed to make some small strength gains over this period.

So, of 13 lbs that were lost, 11 were fat, 2 were muscle, give or take measurement error.

I'm quite pleased. It was PAINFULLY slow - for a five month cut - about half a pound a week. But extremely effective.

Wow a 5 months cut...I dont think I could handle that...

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Like a hot damn? Wow...that's hot. Damn.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

im cutting currentyl and have been slowly since end og august i think which puts me in my 3/4 month. im down about 10/11 pound i think havnt weighed myself as im working away which could cause problems. anyway my bf has droped 2/3% according to calipers which means everything ive lost has been fat over this time. (i have been using AAS for the last 6 week which could be why i havnt lost any lbm or the readings could be wrong
    my journal

PR's
    Bench - 286
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

PoutineEh
    cut starts today we will see next monday if i lost a lb or not

Don't expect a pound in your first week...

It could take longer than that for your body to figure out 'What the hell? Where the **** did my food go? Nooooooo.... must... start.... reclaiming muscle and, dammit, burning fat.... my precious, precious fat.... '
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

You guys picked the wrong season to start a cut.

To be honest for me atleast i cant imagine a good season to cut. this is my first proper cut and no matter what time of year i think if your not dedicated their will always be excuses (b/days/weddings etc etc)
    my journal

PR's
    Bench - 286
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

:withstupi

There's always something. Three traditional feasting days in two weeks is more than usual but there's always something.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg