Thread: AM Cardio VS. Non-AM Cardio On Low-Carb Diet

AM Cardio VS. Non-AM Cardio On Low-Carb Diet

I was wondering about this earlier today.. everyone supports AM cardio because your glycogen stores are low and supposedly youll burn off a higher % of fat than you would in the afternoon, or the nighttime.

I am wondering about people following a low-carb diet. For example under ~30-40g of carbs per day. Or sometimes even lower then that if its a ketogenic diet.. People on these type of diets glyocogen stores are always relatively low arent they?

I was just wondering because this morning unfortunately I slept in and had to do my cardio in the afternoon..

don't worry about it......i'm still kinda on the fence about morning cardio myself.

i usually do mine in the evenings, after eating a protein/fat snack. but i also do intervals, and not endurance type cardio so it's a horse of a different color.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Tryska-
    Yeah thats what I was thinking.. I havnt really read anything about what Rob Faigin thinks of AM cardio yet. I am thinking that he will oppose it only because how much he talks about how important breakfast is etc.

Hehe "a horse of a different color.." havnt heard that saying since the Wizard of Oz.. anyway, I dont do endurance type of cardio either. Intervals on stationery bike.

his take is basically increased cortisol levels. a. because it's first thing in the morning. b. because it's on an empty stomach. I'm tending to agree btw.

Tryska-
    Yeah I guess its kind of difficult to perform a study.. well maybe not impossible. I mean to get some people to do 30 minutes of AM cardio and the some people to do the same 30 minutes of cardio in the PM. And maybe then after a month or two check how much fat each lost. But then again each person in the study would have to have the same diet, and the same supplementation etc. Also I would be curious how the strength went. Have there been any studies that PROVE that AM cardio is better for burning fat?

well the whole cardio on an empty stomach thing is predicated on your being a sugar burner.

the basic idea is, if sugar (from carbs) is your first choice of fuel, then because you will be glycogen depleted in the morning, you will wind up moving into a "fat-burning" state faster.

and also your metabolism will be increased for the next few waking hours.

however, if you are already using fat for fuel, this is a moot point.

Muscle tissue at rest = fat for fuel
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

PowerManDL-
    I dont understand what your saying bro.. are you saying after sleeping your muscles will be at rest and therefore use fat for for fuel. But on an empty stomach and first thing in your morning your cortisol will be rising, at least until you eat something.

*lol@dl*

i think what he is saying is:

high waking cortisol levels + 0 Food = Muscle Catabolism for Fuel

"Supertraining" pg. 79:

"Interestingly, fats are the preferred energy fuel of the resting muscles and the liver. More specifically, the metabolism of fats furnishes about two-thirds of the energy we require at rest. They also become a more important energy source as the duration of exercise increases, since exercise lowers insulin levels and raises adrenaline levels. Conversely, large intake of carbohydrates, in particular the simple sugars such as glucose, produces the 'insulin shock' discussed earlier and inhibits the oxidation of fats."

Additionally, the oxidation of fats requires an adequate supply of carbohydrates. Ketosis is essentially the half-assed approach of fat oxidation, which is why low-carb diets "work."

Those things in mind, I'd say have something like an apple or a glass of milk before hand, rather than doing it on an empty stomach.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Adrenalin is catobolic right?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Wannabebig Member
    "Additionally, the oxidation of fats requires an adequate supply of carbohydrates."

Hence the phrase commonly used in physiology: "Fats burn in a carbohydrate flame."

that is soooooooooo 1980's...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

incidentally the NHE style monstar is following includes a carbload every 3-4 days to replenish muscle glycogen, so that isn't really an issue here.

chigs - yes. and cortisol is lipogenic as well. speifically visceral fat.
    Last edited by Tryska; 01-03-2002 at 05:08 PM.

Tryska-
    Yeah I know.. I am going to stick to early AM cardio even though I hate it. Can you do me a favor and check out the NHE Thread in the Diet Board.. I had a few Qs about NHE Training. Thanks.

Well here is my take....me on a non am cardio program.....loosing a few here and there. Me adds morning cardio for the new yrs...3 pounds in 2 days
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

BTW I eat an hour before I work out because i have tummy probs that wont let me work out without feeling sick etc..i need something in my tummy to coat it or I will get sick!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8