Thread: Half ROM pull ups?

No Information Provided

Half ROM pull ups?

I'm currently unable to do even a single full range of motion pull up or chin up. IE: A pull up where my arms start out hanging freely. Would half or 2/3 range of motion pull ups be a good way to work up to doing full ones?

why don't you ask someone to assist you in the start
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

no. do assisted full ones. 2/3 or 1/2 rom pullups will not strengthen the bottom of your lift, where u need it most.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You guys struggle at the bottom?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

No Information Provided
    Ya the first 1/4 is the toughest part for me. Does that indicate unusual relative muscle strength?

Do cheater chins off the smith machine (one of the only things it's good for…)

Set the bar at eye level, get to "up" anyway you can, lower to a count of five. (I put my feet behind me, and assist/balance with the tops of my toes)

Work your way up to five sets of five.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I'm with you. Bottom is easy, top is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Do cheater chins off the smith machine (one of the only things it's good for…)

Set the bar at eye level, get to "up" anyway you can, lower to a count of five. (I put my feet behind me, and assist/balance with the tops of my toes)

Work your way up to five sets of five.
    I do something similar to this..

I just hang from the barbell in my power rack, set at squatting height. My feet or toes are on the floor, and I pull up like that. 3 sets of 6 reps owns me, so I know I'm getting work out of it. I can ALMOST do one full pullup unassisted but, alas, I'm not quite there.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    if you don't have access to an assisted chin machine (OK) or a partner to spot you and help you with the lift (better), one of the best ways to get to a full chin is to do slow negatives, as slow as you can manage

I actually don't like assisted chin machines - there's no way to turn off the assistance for the negatives.

I started with the cheater chins because I didn't have a gravitron at my old gym. When I finally tried one, I went straight back to my smith cheater chins. They work better

bone crusher
    put a chair behind you and use your feet to give assistance as needed

What if a person can do a few full pull ups, but not a whole set. I can do about four. I want to be able to do eight for three sets. Should I just do some sets of as many as I can do, or should I do assisted pull ups 3x8 and taper off the resistance week to week.

Jumping pullups also work as an assist.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i find it hardest middle-top.

What if a person can do a few full pull ups, but not a whole set. I can do about four. I want to be able to do eight for three sets. Should I just do some sets of as many as I can do, or should I do assisted pull ups 3x8 and taper off the resistance week to week.
    I usually can only do 3-5 pull ups in a row, so i do as many as i can in a row, count that as a set, and do as many sets as i need to get to a predetermined number ie 15 or 20.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I struggle at the top after my 6th rep...I start shaking like i'm havin a seisure.lol
    ok, it's not that bad, but I shake a little.

Once I can't do more than 2 in a row I jump up to the top position and slowly lower myself down. The initial jump and hold is bad for my shoulders though I think cause they usually hurt after a while of jumping and holding at the top.

I'm going to do negs off the smith on saturday.

I've heard most people will never see double didgit pullups in their entire life. I refuse to be one of those people.

www.dragondoor.com is probably the best source for increasing base pullup #s.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/226/

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

thx for the link nash.

im with CC, the very top part is where i fail. i could literally do twice as many if i just put my nose over the bar. any rowing motion is like this for me, i could use a hell of alot more weight if i just shaved off that last gay inch (which is why i love me some T-bar rows). i wouldnt dare take an inch out of the bottom of my bench or squat, so i do the full rom on chins even though i hate it. im starting to think i might stop as my chinning ability is the only lift i do that i have gained next to no strength on in the last several weeks...

I actually don't like assisted chin machines - there's no way to turn off the assistance for the negatives.
    I've was never been a big fan of them for that exact same reason.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

In theory, lat pulldowns don't even compare to pull-ups, but I think they're good for learning how to use your lats. Pull those shoulders and elbows down as hard as you can, and you should feel the muscles right under your shoulderblades pulling down. Keep your sternum up as well.

Doing pull-ups without knowing how to use your lats is a waste of time and just a bicep exercise. It's like doing rows with your back rounded. I would still work on some negatives however (pul-lups), but learn how to use your back with lighter weight first.

I personally don't see any problem with doing lat pulldowns first to get your strength up for the regular pull ups, in fact that's what I did for a while until I could get to a decent # of pullups. Just put some serious weight on the lat pulldown and get cracking. I could only do a few pull ups earlier this summer but I'm pretty sure I can get a good 15 or so now (of bodyweight, AND I weigh a good 5-10 lbs more now than I did during the summer).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I started with the cheater chins because I didn't have a gravitron at my old gym. When I finally tried one, I went straight back to my smith cheater chins. They work better
    Yes there is!

Take out the pin and then use a 10kg dumbell to weigh the seat/kneel thing to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Yes there is!

Take out the pin and then use a 10kg dumbell to weigh the seat/kneel thing to the ground.
    what about going back up?

your method provides no assistance for the pull...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

My Journal