Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get the most out of your workouts!

How to get the most out of your workouts!

That's right. Here's how to get the most out of your workouts.

Eat and sleep. Period.

Damn, that's rough.

Seriously though, that's what it boils down to. Are you eating enough, are you eating too much, are you getting enough to sleep, and I'm not sure there is such a thing as too much sleep.

If you are in the gym, an hour a day for 7 days straight. That's only about 5% of the week. Where are you that other 95% of the time? Outside the gym. What you do outside the gym, is going to make what you do in it, that much more beneficial.

You can have a crappy routine but if your diet and sleep are on, you'll see results. Granted that 5% of time will make a difference, but you have concentrate on what you do outside of the gym.

I've been seeing so many threads about this routine and that routine. In the grand scheme of things, unless you plan on being a competitive athlete, a competitive bodybuilder, or competitive powerlifter, you should be doing what you enjoy. The key word there being: competitive. If you are doing what you enjoy, you'll be much more motivated to do it. Motivation will carry you though so much more than doing the perfect routine half-ass. Just so long as you are working every major muscle group, the rest of your routine could be arms, arms and arms*, but as long as you enjoy it and work hard at it, you'll see results. (*side note for overtraining, but I know this'll be critiqued hard)

You create the blocks for what your body is going to do in the gym. The muscles are broken down and targeted in the gym but its outside the gym where you do the growing, the losing of fat and the realization of goals.

Getting ready for a contest, I'd still spend maybe on average, 1.5 hours in the gym 5 to 6 days a week. That's it. And I dropped to ~5% body fat.

My routine has changed over so long because what I enjoy doing has changed. Could I still see results with Routine A? Yes. Could I still see results with Routine B? Yes. Which one is better? Which ever one I enjoy more at the time. Granted, we sometimes have to do those things we hate doing, but they are a necessary evil. If those are squats, dieting, or in my case curls, sometimes everything is necessary.

So after saying all that I have. How do you really get the most out of your workout? Find what you like to do. Find a fun routine. Then learn how to eat and manage your life so that you get enough rest. You grow outside the gym. Remember that. The routine is important but you are only in the gym 5% of the week. 95% of the time you aren't. That's a huge chunk of time. Make the most of it and you're workouts, whatever they are, will be that much better.

*steps off soapbox*
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Yay for Homie.

I've almost beaten the crap out of my friend in the last two days because he simply refuses to comprehend that eating is the most important damn thing in the world. He eats one meal a day before 7pm and wonders why he's tired in the gym and why he weighs 115lbs. I've basically told him to stop lifting unless he he starts to eat. N.b., this moron is getting a PhD in math, which probably explains things.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

well said Will.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

i vote to sticky this
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

You know how every fast food joint has a slogan?
    McDonalds : I'm Lovin it
    BurgerKing: Have it your way
    Taco Bell: Think outside the Bun

Well the one slogan that really means something is the one that Checkers/Rallys uses.

YOU GOTTA EAT!
    Last edited by muscleup; 11-23-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Great post Will. Every now and then we need a "why do we do it?" or a "for all you idiots out there..." thread.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    The same thing is posted several dozen times a day, in a more compressed form. We definitely don't need another thread on this. In fact it's getting kind of frustrating that everyone, no matter what the circumstance, concludes that all missing links must be a function of diet or sleep. Sorry, but some of us do not have the greatest genetics and CANNOT just look at a weight, eat, sleep and grow to the greatest potential. I have absolutely, positively found that the difference in the routine I am performing greatly affects the gains I make in the gym (proving diet + sleep is already good) to notable extents.

*steps off soapbox*
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The same thing is posted several dozen times a day, in a more compressed form. We definitely don't need another thread on this. In fact it's getting kind of frustrating that everyone, no matter what the circumstance, concludes that all missing links must be a function of diet or sleep. Sorry, but some of us do not have the greatest genetics and CANNOT just look at a weight, eat, sleep and grow to the greatest potential. I have absolutely, positively found that the difference in the routine I am performing greatly affects the gains I make in the gym (proving diet + sleep is already good) to notable extents.

*steps off soapbox*
    Dude no offense, but you are always negative about things. Lighten up.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Haha cmonnnn Crippy lighten up bro.

Btw, great post Homeyield. Tellin it like it is.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    in my case curls
    Why are curls just not fun?
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    "Then learn how to eat and manage your life so that you get enough rest. You grow outside the gym ... The routine is important but you are only in the gym 5% of the week. 95% of the time"

Like said earlier those are the blocks that we create for ourselves. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand or comprehend how to do those two statements. I'm one of those people, and would like more insight on what needs to be done.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex
    "Then learn how to eat and manage your life so that you get enough rest. You grow outside the gym ... The routine is important but you are only in the gym 5% of the week. 95% of the time"

Like said earlier those are the blocks that we create for ourselves. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand or comprehend how to do those two statements. I'm one of those people, and would like more insight on what needs to be done.
    It's as simple as it says.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Banned
    Great post sir. I must say I had it in check but this post of yours just gave me that little kick in the ass to tighten up and where I have been slackin I must stop. Thanks alot bro. Happy thanksgivin by the way.

Word, Homes.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

True dat. I get so sick and tired of all the posts on here with people arguing fervently about whether 3 extra sets of shoulder presses will cripple all their progress and send them into a wheelchair for life.

Nice post HomeYield.

The unfortunate thing is that someone who is just getting into lifting will think that the gym is the most important factor.

I'm sure than at least 80% of us will have spent at least SOME time going to the gym without a workout plan or any real idea of how to diet/sleep/exercise effectively.
    Most people must be guilty of this when they were starting out. Even the most knowledgeable had to start somewhere.

I spent the Summer like this and made small gains, but once I sorted the diet, BAM, results!

New people just need reminding of this.

www.fitday.com is the single biggest aid to my weight-gaining efforts.
    It's more significant than my new gym with better machine and weights and more significant than the new routine.

Fitday should be stickied at the top of the forum and honestly, a fitday (or similar) link should be a part of EVERYONEs membership here.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler

*steps off soapbox*

Since you understand this, I'm not re-iterating it directly to you. This is for other people. You just echoed what I'm saying. If you are doing something right the other 95% of the time, then what you do in the gym does make a difference.

I've definitely had to change things up in the gym to get better results, but I maximize those results with diet and rest.

I'm typing all this out in hopes that it reaches more people instead of having to type it out all the time in every thread that comes along. Once you understand some things then yes, routine becomes important but it takes a good combination of everything.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    I'm not fond of them. Like some aren't fond of squats or bench or shoulder presses. I've just found that I get better results on arms doing other things I enjoy. I work harder at other things that make me happier. Its just personal preference, I guess.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex

Are you looking for more insight in how to eat, rest or more techinal terms as to how you grow outside the gym? I'm not sure exactly what it is you're looking for, but am willing to help.
    What is elite?

Some good points in this thread...both for and against.

IMHO, people tend to overthink this stuff way too much, at least those who are still in the beginner/novice level of training. There are programs out there...like the 5x5...that have been developed by leading coaches in the field and have produced outstanding results, but guys who want 20 inch arms look at such a program and see little direct arm work and freak out...regardless of that fact that such a protein has built a lot of lbm on many who've used that sort of routine. Muscle Rags have prompted this nonsense, every 18 year old who reads some cell tech ad with Lee Priest doing 24 sets of direct bicep work thinks they automatically need to change their routine to have exercises that isolate every single muscle group...not necessary. Guys on this forum like Will or Anthony have bodies that most of you would kill the family pet for...and they don't do 20 sets of curls.

There is something to be said for specialization or consistently changing up the parts of the routine to keep things fresh...but like Will said, if your diet sucks and you aren't sleeping...you aren't going to improve.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Good post its amazing how may people dnt/need to know this and that will argue to point blank against it as well or atleast people i know
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    Arms are my least favorite too. I'd rather be doing squats or deads. Which I used to hate, but that changes over time. Now I can't stand working bis.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel inclined to finish up my biology homework while doing curls.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

You know, I'm going to resurrect this lil bastard every once in a while to bring a little bit more knowledge. I'm pulling somethings from this article by Alwyn Cosgrove. Some are funny and some are informational. Some are both.

2) FASTED CARDIO

Are you ****ing kidding me? Seriously, are you ****ing kidding me? Why are we even talking about this?

Let's take two twins, both 200lbs, both doing the same training program, taking the same supplements, and following the same nutrition plan in the hopes of getting lean.

One difference, though: one of them eats 2 eggs and does 30 minutes of cardio three days per week. The other does 30 minutes of cardio, three days per week and THEN eats 2 eggs.

So what's the magical difference in terms of fat loss after six months? Drum roll please...

I'll tell you no ****ing difference.

However, whenever you bring up this question we get a ton of responses saying, "This is exactly the information I needed!". Oh **** off. The reason you are still fat is because you couldn't decide to do cardio on an empty stomach or not?

30 minutes of steady state cardio will burn about 300 calories. Three times per week 900 calories. Add that up for 26 weeks and we get a whopping: 23,400 calories.

Or 6.6 lbs of fat.

In six months.

If doing it fasted, burned 30% more (which it doesn't), you're looking at another 2lbs of fat in that same six month period.

Or an additional 0.07 pounds per week.

And for those of you who say I do fasted cardio but I have a small scoop of protein first, then you're NOT DOING IT FASTED THEN, ARE YOU?

Fat people finish marathons all the time. Aerobic training doesn't do a hell of a lot for real world fat loss. Even if you're hungry.
    This one is good. Right bit of difference it makes in the long run, right?

4) BODYPART SPLITS

I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together each of which can be worked separately.

My arse.

You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?

And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".

There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.

Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.
    I'm seeing more and more truth in this. Gives you something to think about doesn't it?

7) DOING BICEPS CURLS WHEN YOU CAN'T DO A SINGLE CHIN UP

Enough said.

There are some other good ones in there. But I'm focusing more on the ones that I've started to realize more and more. I've been lifting for over 10 years now. I think I've made more progress in the past year when I was natural than in the 4 years preceding it. Some of which, I wasn't natural.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 02-02-2006 at 01:51 PM.
    What is elite?