Thread: Identifying a female hardgainer

Hybrid View

Identifying a female hardgainer

compared to men, most females have a difficult time gaining muscle... so how do you tell if a female is a hardgainer?

Last edited by getfit; 11-24-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Lol, but you have benefits of being a woman too!

Your calorie requirements are SOO low.. no need to stuff yourself so you feel sick.

Built's mainenance calories are ~2300 if I remember correctly. I have that before lunch!

Go to hell.

I LOVE to eat!

I would be THRILLED to eat 3000 cals a day.

Or more.

NO PROBLEM.

On the other hand, it is totally awesome being female!

Gotta take the good with the bad.

Hehe, oh well sorry! :P

(hehe, I get to stuff my face.. in fact I'm eating RIGHT NOW.. take that!! :P)

EDIT: it's just a struggle at the end of the day when I don't want to eat any more but I know I have to
    Last edited by Davidelmo; 11-24-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Built eats more than me, or just as much. I'm a girly man though
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Hardgainer is such a stupid term, because everyone thinks they are one.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    Hardgainer is such a stupid term, because everyone thinks they are one.
    :withstupi

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'm an easy-hardgainer. When I eat well enough to gain, I gain a lot and in good proportions (little fat, mostly muscle). Thing is, "eating well" for me is about the same as the average 225lb dude on this site. And I'm 185-190.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I'm with you there Crip, except I'm 150

To me hardgainer means how much you have to eat to gain weight.

3500kcal a day does nothing for me and I'm only 140lbs!

Whereas when I look at the fitday of some of you big guys, you're round about the same

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    To me hardgainer means how much you have to eat to gain weight.

3500kcal a day does nothing for me and I'm only 140lbs!

Whereas when I look at the fitday of some of you big guys, you're round about the same
    My maintenace is 4400 and I am weigh 250-ish.

Remember: How much you eat is vastly important.However, how much you eat in relation to your caloric expenditure is just as important.
    Last edited by Hatred; 11-25-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    My maintenace is 4400 and I am weigh 250-ish.

Remember: How much you eat is vastly important.However, how much you eat in relation to your caloric expenditure is just as important.
    Indeed but I'm a student (aka "sit on your ass all day and occasionally drag your ass to lectures")

Hardgainer is a virtually meaningless term. All the same rules apply - if she wants to gain muscle, she has to lift, add weight to her lifts over time, and eat enough protein/calories to sustain muscular growth.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

No Information Provided
    I agree that the term hard-gainer is meaningless as it is defined by most people. I mean seriously, so you have to eat 600-1000 calories more than the average person to gain weight? Cry me a ****ing river.

There needs to be a term for somebody who consistently gains a higher than average ratio of fat to muscle, regardless of their metabolism. That to me is a true "hard gainer."

Quote Originally Posted by anasthetic
    There needs to be a term for somebody who consistently gains a higher than average ratio of fat to muscle, regardless of their metabolism. That to me is a true "hard gainer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Endomorph.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 11-25-2005 at 12:39 PM.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

No Information Provided
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Endomorph.
    I had always thought that part of the definition of endomorph was having a slow metabolism.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I hate you.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Hate me all you want. Just remember, Olive oil will always be your friend.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    At 255, I can pull in 4000 a day and maintain. I'm too much of a pussy to bulk these days.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Do women overtrain more easily then men, or can they use the same routines?

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123
    Do women overtrain more easily then men, or can they use the same routines?
    I don't think we need to train much differently - I use the same equipment and do the same basic heavy compound lifts as the guys...

I have read that we may respond to slightly higher rep ranges, and that we may need (a little bit) more cardio to lean out, but nothing significantly different from how the fellas train, at least with my body.

I've compared my lifts to those of guys about my size, and they seem similar for the most part.

Here's the link that suggests slightly higher rep ranges for women: http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?t...ticle&i=14&a=4

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian strength coach Christian Thibaudeau
    Women do not have the capacity to recruit as many motor units as men do. As such, they'll need 1-2 more reps to fully stimulate their muscles. So when training for strength, a man should use between 1 and 5 reps while a woman will benefit more from doing 3-6 reps. Also, most women will need to perform 1-2 more sets of an exercise to achieve the same degree of stimulation as a man, once again because of their lower motor unit activation.
    You can see the difference is NOT large (we're not talking 20-rep sets here!), and certainly this difference varies from person to person. Personally, I tend to like rep ranges of 5-12 for most of my work.