The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Macho Strength Routine Needed ASAP

hey everyone. I dont mean to ask to much but i just got off a mass routine and ive gained some size, but i lost strength, and strength is what is most important to me. So......if its not to much to ask i need a macho strength routine and i dont really care about size right now. Could someone please set me up a really good strength routine? Thanx alot for any help you guys/gals can give me. plz.....

PS How long will it take to raise my bench 50 lb considering ive been training for a year, and i currently bench 195 (dropped from 210 cause of mass routine).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You shouldn't have lost strength on a mass routine. Maybe some off the top end I could understand, but you should have a base level of strength that shouldn't drop regardless of goal.

That being said, check around. I myself have put up countless strength-oriented programs, and so have others.

As far as 50 lbs on the bench-- that depends on how bad you want it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice in gains on other lifts.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

www.wannabebig.com check out the wanna be big routine im using it and i like it

*waits for the commercial endorsements from hulk* LOL j/k hulk

i think its one of the best routines out there
    "....but this whole sport is based on craziness. Let's face it, you have to be ludicrous to be in this game. You won't make any money; it's the most difficult sport on Earth, I don't care what anybody says. You bust your ass in the gym for a lousy trophy that falls apart by the time you get it home, but it's a sport of love. You do it because you love it."
    -Bob Chicherillo, IFBB pro

which wbb routine should i use #1 or #2 and those routine sound more geared towards size not strength.

Also, i dont have access to a chinup bar or a dip thingee, so couldi substitute pulldowns and close grip bench or tricep rope?

also, i know how to do incline bench, but is low incline bench just lower angle of incline?

oh yea and one more thing i dont train legs so could i just devote that day to rest?

PS I will start training egs next year as for training them now would be taking a chance i damage my growth plates on my knees which is the only source of height growth i have left.

Bigger fewl
    BUAHAHA!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Originally posted by dxiw
    oh yea and one more thing i dont train legs so could i just devote that day to rest?

PS I will start training egs next year as for training them now would be taking a chance i damage my growth plates on my knees which is the only source of height growth i have left.
    Must......resist.......urge........to.........flame.........

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I knew this would start an arguement so lets forget abut the legs thing and not turn this post into a flaming competition. So you guys would recommend the wanna be big routine for strength then or not?

I like the way it looks, and im ready to start it just wondering what u guys though about it.

Explain again why you are not training legs?

How old are you?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I started w/o when i turned 13, and i turned 14 about a month ago.vSo that makes me 14 with just over a year of w/o experience.

Play any sports?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

do you have legs?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I train my legs for endurance and i do play a lot of spports. To be specific i swim varsity competitively, play tennis jv, and i run sprints of 1 mile in these fitness competitions my school district's rotc run (im a lietenant in jrotc if anyones familiar with the program). And yes i have legs...quite nice ones too..........rock hard......some definition.......26.5 inches.....aaahh.......i should stop being such a narsiccist(spelling??)......BTW My legs are very strong. Remember how i said i never train legs, ill take that back i did squats once for 4 reps at a swim practice when everyone was training legs just for curiosity...welll....call me a liar but i was moving 245 for 4 reps.....i guess that gives me naturally strong legs....oh well back to the main topic of this thread should i use the wanna be big routine or not????

Age 14 with nearly 27' legs but doesn't train them.

Not unheard of, but not common either.

'splain.

dude how much do you weigh, you are a bit of a shredder for 14.

OK.

I'm going to touch on two things.

First, the leg training.

Treat your body like a system. All of the individual components of the system have to function well in order for the entire system to work. In order to get stronger in general, you have to train the entire system... but also, in order to get individual parts stronger, you have to make the system stronger.

You risk injury if you ignore this.

Second, it sounds like you are a pretty athletic fellow. Good.

I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to young teens doing resistance training. I think it is a good idea to do it, but not a good idea to focus primarily on it. Your conditioning and your motor skill development is more important, IMO. (You need to keep learning how to be good at your chosen sports - skills training and GPP)

So, I would suggest you NOT focus on pure strength development. Sounds to me like you are plenty strong, and you'll continue to get stronger.

Since you are so active, I'd stick with a fairly low volume of exercises, but high set count, fairly high rep count, and not training to failure. Your strength will continue to increase, but at a manageable pace.

Work hard, but not overly so. Pay more attention to conditioning, and getting used to moving weights, as well as perfecting your form.

I'd go with a very basic full body workout, or a 2 day split push / pull or upper / lower. And I'd train no more than 3 days a week.

When you hit 16 or so, you'll have the conditioning you need, you'll know your form, and you'll have built a nice base of strength to really focus on lifting.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

with nearly 27 inch leg's I'd think you would have squatted a bit more than 245 ...

I will incorporate some very light squats, but as far as upper body. I did the full body workout the first month i trainedand i have been training just like any other 16 or 20 year old since. I dont mean to tick you off but im very physically mature for my age, and im bigger than most of my friends who aree 16 (i skipped 2 grades), and trust me genetics are not on my side i worked hard this past year on many routines. I can see how doing a low carb diet would harm my growth at my age but there's no way after a year that i am going to switch back to the full body workout. My doctor says ive matured ahead of my age group, and that my bones have stopped growing with except of knees(possible 1 more inch) and i have perfect reflexes and heart, blood, etc. How many 5'11' 173lb 43.5 in chest that run a mile in 6 min just turned 14 yr olds do you know?
    BTW ill take it back about genetics my family has good leg genetics but thats about all. My legs have always been big (so have my fathers')and responded well to everything i do to them.
    I dont mean to look immature by argueing with you guys over my training split and body but i am truly an exception and im not trying to brag. Oh yea, and if your thinking about flaming me for my above 2 cents...plz dont....its only showing you know how to act half your age.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    getting used to moving weights, as well as perfecting your form.
    You think after year of training im not used to moving weights?
    Perfecting form was a thing of the past i always train with perfect form

Dont get offended man just leting you realize what you just said....

Oh yea and high set high rep makes me gain weight fast and get a little bulky lose some strength and gain endurance good for swimming b4 i guess but thats just how my body responds and i train to be fast and strong with a nice cut and muscular body, im not out there to be mr.o sorry if i offended you guys into pure bodybuilding but im more of a powerlifter....

BTW swimming seasons over this month for me so im not gonna get much cardio anymore except for running sprint training 1-2 times a week.
    Last edited by dxiw; 01-04-2002 at 10:54 AM.

Originally posted by dxiw
    How many 5'11' 173lb 43.5 in chest that run a mile in 6 min just turned 14 yr olds do you know?
    I'm never one to turn down a flame challenge.

Your stats are practically identical to mine, so you must have a small upper body to weigh that much and still have 26.5" legs.

my measurements are as follows:
    Arms - 14.25 after my last workout
    Chest - 43.5 after my last workout
    Legs - 26.5 when i measured about 2 months ago when i was still training for speedskating and i have got more cut since so just to clear things up im going to remeassure as of right now.....and they are.....26 flexed but not pumped or anything
    Calves - 15.75 just measured now for fun is this big or small?

What are yours as of recently? BTW I am not trying to start a flaming arguement so i think you got the wrong impression

I know exactly what I said. Your year of training doesn't change it. Like I said, I err on the side of caution.

Sounds like you've got a great base to build on.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    LMAO! You just said you are more of a powerlifter, yet you don't really train legs? You should be focusing most of your time on your squats and deads then.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

yo man deads are the bomb