The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting High Level Soccer..........Maintain a bulk?

Ok guys, I'm just starting up some really competitive soccer here soon. I'll be training at least 2 times a week for 2 1/2 hrs per session, with a game once a week. Now I'm not talking about the soccer you see most kids play where its all nice and the coach is like: "ok guys, run 2 laps to warm-up." we typically warm-up with 2 miles of running, and then sets of crunches and push-ups, followed by national team sprints (run to the 5, back, 10, back, 15, back, etc. up to 50). We're training to take state this year, and then move on to regionals and possibly nationals, and I really enjoy it, so quitting isn't an option. But I'm kinda worried on how I'm gonna maintain a bulk. Ideas?
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Eat more?

No Information Provided
    What he said.

lol, how do you compensate for 1.5k calories or so? i'm already stuffing myself at 3200 calories.

add
    a 2bsp of natty pb to each meal

that should add 1000 calories to your intake
    I don't have time. I make time.

if u can afford it, get some weight gainer.. if not, use peanut butter, oats, cottage cheese, milk, ice cream, fruit (avocado's are great) in a shake and it won't make u feel as full (just use it as a drink when ur eating ur dinner), and that should be a pretty good amount of calories...

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

the kid from oz
    if you're doing that much exercise you will be a lot hungrier

Put peanut butter or regular butter on EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

One thing you should really think about when bulking/cutting is sports. During season cutting is usually the best option because if you practice as much as you say going to the gym will be hard to fit in. Also why do you need to be bulky for soccer....lol Play some football then this would be a better discussion.

No Information Provided
    Quote Originally Posted by gator
    During season cutting is usually the best option because if you practice as much as you say going to the gym will be hard to fit in. Also why do you need to be bulky for soccer....lol Play some football then this would be a better discussion.
    Bulking and cutting is a function of diet first. You should be lifting just as much on a cut as on a bulk.

At the same time, I'd agree that soccer season is a great time to cut, since you will be forced to do all that cardio.

Of course you should be lifting all the time...but if for some reason you can't go to the gym as much it would be better to do that while on a cut.

why would you bulk and try to gain weight if you play soccer, especially during the season? i don't think bulking up is going to improve any aspect of your soccer game.

Wannabebig Member
    ditto to what gator/LaxProdigy says about bulking+soccer. As you know with high level soccer you are constantly/intensely gunning your engines for 2x 45 minute halves [contrary to what some who dont know the sport think when they watch a game on tv- like the players are jogging leisurely most of the game]. If it's that high a level you'll be plaing, I'd think you wouldn't want to be compromising your required agility and stamina with extra bulk.

actually, i'm a goalie, so added mass is good, especially when I'm tightly packed around in the goalbox. That's mainly why I started to lift weights. Upper Body strength is even more useful than on any other position in soccer.

Grasshoppa
    Eat more. Fat is your friend as it is the most calorie dense macronutrient. But, you should also fill your diet in with extra shakes if you think you'll have trouble eating that much.

Personally, I'd love to drop 5k+ calories a day. I'd be in fatty heaven.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nongan
    actually, i'm a goalie....
    Now you tell us, lol.
    Last edited by Vegilles; 11-23-2005 at 07:14 AM.

Even so, Goalies need to be quick, I dont know how mass would help a goalie.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Explosiveness would though. So lift heavy things please.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

It's possible!

The training will probably make you starving but even if you're stuffed then just start blending stuff and drinking it!

Good luck!!

I agree with questioning 'bulking'.

Train to be a better soccer player. Get stronger, get quicker, wokr on your skills. Unless you are remarkably small, I would think gaining weight would be lower on my list of priorities.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    I agree with questioning 'bulking'.

Train to be a better soccer player. Get stronger, get quicker, wokr on your skills. Unless you are remarkably small, I would think gaining weight would be lower on my list of priorities.
    he's 6' and 150, he could bulk without losing anything on his soccer skills.

Andrew

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

True, that.

But the focus should be on training to improve performance at the sport, not just getting bigger.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

agreed.

Wannabebig Member
    I suppose you'll find out in your initial workouts where you really stand with bulking. If you find your stamina isn't up to par with the high-level workouts, you'll have your answer.
    oh yeah, Good luck with the competitions!!
    Last edited by Vegilles; 11-24-2005 at 11:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Even so, Goalies need to be quick, I dont know how mass would help a goalie.
    Mass advantages for a goalie....
    I think it'd be for dominating the goalie box in corners where there's alot of jostling as the ball floats in for example, and throwing the ball, diving in challenges against an attacker to put them off, psychological put off for a shooter seeing a big framed goalie at the net as opposed to a slimmer one... just my thoughts.