Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headaches from Marijuana

Headaches from Marijuana

Ok I'm going to post this although I understand it may get deleted by mods. Anyway I'm in CA where Marijuana has been in limbo between legalization and prohibition.

My question: Does anyone know how marijuana can cause someone to get a headache? A lot of the time when I smoke (almost always from a blunt) and go to sleep, later when I wake up my head is killing me. Anyone know why this is? I'm wondering if it is somehow dehydrating me perhaps, any suggestions would come in handy.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Probably from the nicotine in the blunt, rather than the pot itself.

no cuz ive felt the same.. it was a bong

iduno what it is i drank like a gallon of water.. doesn't happen all the time though
    I don't have time. I make time.

Cigars aren't meant to be inhaled, so smoking a blunt could easily give you a headache. You could be allergic to smoke, to certain plants/trees etc...
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I used to get that back when I smoked. It usually came after smoking some cheap stuff, or just some wild stuff.

I've always had headaches after smoking...I'm no expert, but I think it just hits people differently. Some people get the munchies...others need an asprine. Sucks...but we all go back to it.
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

I only get headaches from the mary jane when i smoke a lot at one time. Other than that, never.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thats cause you smoke blunts and junk weed .

Move up bro ... pay a little more .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

I get headaches from weed sometimes.

I only smoke it about twice a year now, so it doesn't happen anymore, but when I used to smoke more regularly, I'd get this happening every once in a while.

Banned
    Could it be because of vasodilation?
    Dunno, but weed causes vasodilation (which contributes to the red-eye) which might mean more blood to your brain - possible headache.

Not sure, but its probably along these lines.
    On a related note I read that the reason big-time coffee users experience headaches when they "withdraw" for a while is because of the blood vessels or brain shrinking back to size. It had brain scan pictures and everything.

I'm sure its this sort of idea that causes the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Brawl
    Thats cause you smoke blunts and junk weed .

Move up bro ... pay a little more .

Not gonna help, I smoke nicer stuff than most people ever even get to see and I still get headaches when I smoke too much. I notice I get headaches from ganj only when I have been smoking regularly for an extended period of time and then smoke alot in one day. I'm really more inclined to think its caused from over inhalation of smoke rather than anything to do with THC, as I have never experienced or seen anyone get a headache from using a vaporizer.

If anyone has any scientific evidence or proof of what causes this phenomenon I would be extremely interested to hear it, its something that has had me wondering for a long time.

maybe its because of all the brain cells you are killing

j/k
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

schwag Yeah well I haven't been smoking vast quantities or anything, really don't even smoke a whole blunt a day.

Now that I think about it the weed might have been too old/dry or maybe it was just schwag
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    agree with brawl, here. poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah well I haven't been smoking vast quantities or anything, really don't even smoke a whole blunt a day.
    There's your problem. Maybe if you finished your blunts you'd forget about that "headache" you think you have.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 11-25-2005 at 04:54 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

hopefully you don't smoke tobacco+weed for a blunt...that would be a waste of good weed and a blunt paper. if you do, try just rolling marijuana by itself.

weed isn't supposed to give you headaches, its supposed to get rid of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Ok I'm going to post this although I understand it may get deleted by mods. Anyway I'm in CA where Marijuana has been in limbo between legalization and prohibition.

My question: Does anyone know how marijuana can cause someone to get a headache? A lot of the time when I smoke (almost always from a blunt) and go to sleep, later when I wake up my head is killing me. Anyone know why this is? I'm wondering if it is somehow dehydrating me perhaps, any suggestions would come in handy.
    I know many people like this....including me occasionally.

Never heard of people getting a headache from smoking people I know get headaches when they don't smoke. Also wouldn't California decrimanilize it before making it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by CiteCollegiale
    Never heard of people getting a headache from smoking people I know get headaches when they don't smoke. Also wouldn't California decrimanilize it before making it legal?

It's so incredibly popular here in california that I wouldnt be at all suprised if we moved straight to legalization. Alot of people treat it pretty haphazardly as it is.

spend on the good organic ****, you can get good weed, but it doesn't mean it's 100% organic. i get a headache if i smoke something "commercial"

maybe your body is telling you that it prefers to stay sober. i know i feel dumb if i smoke, and as such have quit. but dumb is not a headache, so i'd figure your body really doesn't want you smoking. that or it's some chemy smoke. just quit. it's more fun to smoke on rare occasions, you'll be suprised at how blazed you'll get...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

My Journal

No Information Provided
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Could it be because of vasodilation?
    Dunno, but weed causes vasodilation (which contributes to the red-eye) which might mean more blood to your brain - possible headache.
    I wonder if marijuana usually intensifies or precipitates migraines, which are caused by vasodialation in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    There's your problem. Maybe if you finished your blunts you'd forget about that "headache" you think you have.
    There actually is some truth behind this statement from my experience. For me, Headaches come when I smoke a small amount of junky looking bud. When I smoke multiple times in the day and smoke higher quality **** I get no headaches. Basically, when you're starting to crash, just smoke again and you feel better. Eventually you just get tired and pass out. When I wake up from this extraordinarily restful sleep I usually feel pretty good...
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 11-25-2005 at 04:55 PM.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anasthetic
    I wonder if marijuana usually intensifies or precipitates migraines, which are caused by vasodialation in the brain.
    Thats really interesting - a friend of mine suffers terrible migraines, I always assumed it was because of poor diet and not enough water; he also smokes a LOT of weed.

I'll ask him because he's had migraines for years but only started smoking weed regularly about a year or two ago. I wonder if it makes it worse for him... hmmm. I'll get back to you when I find out.

do you have the same problem if your around a lot of cigarette or cigar smoke? Smoke alone and the carbon monoxide gives many people headaches.
    Never Giving In.