The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

assistance work?

ok, right now im not doing any sort of assistance work, im just doing 4X4's for several basic compound movements with the goal of increasing strength in the powerlifts. well, obviously this is only ok to do for so long and im going to have to do assistance work at some point... so here's my problem. im going to use todays workout as an example. i was supposed to do 4X4 for bench, then chin ups, then overhead press, and then some rows. this is what happened, i did the benching and chin-ups. by now im beat, partially because i literally gave 100% in the benching, the last rep of the last set was the closest ive ever been to failure without failing. but even on normal days i never do more than half the workout at once. i lift at home and i go back later to do the rest (so in a few hours ill be doing those OH presses and rows). first things first, is this ok in the long run? and also, how am i going to be able to do assistance work in the future when i cant stand to even do a basic workout like this? is 4 sets (all same weight and as heavy as possible) too much for when i want to work in assistance work? id like to add that the only times ive ever made significant gains were when i was lifting like i am now, if i actually do assistance work (like when ive tried to do some stuff that didnt work for me) i get weaker, and im starting to wonder if what im doing is keeping me from burning out my CNS... any thoughts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    From what I quickly read I'm guessing your question is how can I complete a workout I'm currently doing plus some **** when the one I'm doing is already kicking my ass. I guess you got two choices, 1 being drop the intensity or 2 kick yourself in the ass and get your endurance up. Also you might try some type of an enegry stack to get you movin.

I'm not sure how knowlageable you are about things so I'll say this: You might try increasing your reps to 10-12 or 12-15 even to increase your muscles stamina.

Well reguardless of what you choose to do make sure to hit me up with the results I'd be curious to see how the choice you make goes.

You need to increase your work capacity.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

THey are right, you gotta slowly build up some work capacity. A question for you though... is your routine periodized? Going 4x4 every week might be a bit much... at least for me. Might want to deload every 4-5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by debussy
    THey are right, you gotta slowly build up some work capacity. A question for you though... is your routine periodized? Going 4x4 every week might be a bit much... at least for me. Might want to deload every 4-5 weeks.
    i figured that i wouldnt need any sort of periodization for some time as my poundages are still pretty low and the overall stress on my CNS is probably not quite high enough to warrant that. of course, like i said, when i actually do the whole workout at once it might be too much for me.

Next week will be my 14th week on the same routine, and i am aware this is a long time to be doing the same thing, but in the past couple weeks its worked better than ever and im at least going to ride out the year on it (well, if i start getting weaker ill probably deload). if i decide to use it again next year (i really like the rep scheme so i might) i will deload every now and then.

Like Paul said, you can build up your work capacity. Planning things out so that they are more realistic will be a good place to start. If you really feel you need assistance work and you're too tired or too busy to do it all in one training session, try adding extra (short) workouts.