The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What's the difference between Romanian and Regular Deadlift?

What is the difference between Romanian deadlifts and regular ones? All the descriptions I've seen from both of them seem very similar.

Since I am, like, the only one in my gym who deadlifts, no help there...

Thanks in advance for your help.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

So, it looks like RDL's don't touch the floor and regular ones do?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    So, it looks like RDL's don't touch the floor and regular ones do?

Correct - RDLs, depending upon flexibility, can go anywhere from just below knees, to approx 1/2 of the way b/w knees and ankles. Regular deads, IMO, put the weight down for a couple of seconds b/w each rep, on the floor.

That's half correct. Just remember that you need to push your ass back as far as you can until you really feel a stretch in your hamstrings. That's the reason why you shouldnt be hittin the floor on these.

Oh yeah, your knees should be bent slightly only.
    Last edited by debussy; 11-25-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa63.htm

That's a good explanation to read through. You don't want to hinge at your knees like on regular dls, just keep the bar close to your body and push your ass back as others have said.

The primary difference between a regular dead and an RDL is that there is almost no quad drive with the rdl.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    I found RDL and good mornings are quite similar.... Who can give some advice?

Hmmm, my toes kinda come off the ground and lose my balance almost when I push my ass back too much when doing RDL's, it's the only way I can really feel that stretch.

I guess I gotta revise my form.... *uuuggghhh*.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Yang
    I found RDL and good mornings are quite similar.... Who can give some advice?
    Yes, they should be!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread, I have wondered this same thing for a while.
    "One's success is determined only by his/her effort and willingness to get back up when they fall." 97muscle

]

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Hmmm, my toes kinda come off the ground and lose my balance almost when I push my ass back too much when doing RDL's, it's the only way I can really feel that stretch.

I guess I gotta revise my form.... *uuuggghhh*.
    If you are using the RDL for Ham work, then:
    Straighten your legs to make it a SLDL and you 'should' feel more of a stretch.

Some of you guys might find this article interesting.

RDL vs. SLDL

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....icle=250heavy2
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 97muscle
    Thanks for starting this thread, I have wondered this same thing for a while.
    New to me as well. Definitely a good read.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial