Thread: Quick Questions on Bench.

Noob Now, Master Tomorrow

Quick Questions on Bench.

Is this proper form for bench:
    Keeping your upper chest and shoulders and ass pressed against the bench with a slight arch in your back sticking your chest upwards.
    And your feet firmly planted on the floor and try not to move them and forearms as vertical as possible to floor.

Plus should you feel tiredness in your chest while doing them or a burn in your chest or shoulders, because only my arms get tired.

Ty and replies are grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Formless
    Is this proper form for bench:
    Keeping your upper chest and shoulders and ass pressed against the bench with a slight arch in your back sticking your chest upwards.
    And your feet firmly planted on the floor and try not to move them and forearms as vertical as possible to floor.

Plus should you feel tiredness in your chest while doing them or a burn in your chest or shoulders, because only my arms get tired.

Ty and replies are grateful.
    Yes, that is proper form. Also remember to try to keep your elbows in (not exactly sure why but have read here that your suposed to). As far as your arms getting tired try using a wider grip that way it puts more emphasis on your chest instead of triceps.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 11-08-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Thanks for reply, should i place my hands slightly wider then my shoulders would this be enough to focus on my chest and anyways i think my chest is lagging behind my triceps.Did you mean to keep your elbows into your chest?

Thanks again
    Last edited by Formless; 11-08-2005 at 04:07 PM.

A wide grip can vary from people to people. Just try benching with a little wider of a grip than what you are using now ( wider than shoulder width is a good place to start ). Another thing you could do is vary your grip per set or per workout. Like every other set change your grip / every other workout use a different grip. On the elbows in thing, check this thread out http://wannabebigforums.com/showthre...ghlight=elbows .

Thanks again diesel dan you answered all my questions i know im doing it right and what to do now.

Thank You.

No problem man, glad I could help.

If been following the proper form and ive been keeping my arms out more the shoulder width apart but i still dont feel much in my chest just my tirceps.

Should i feel smothing like a burn or more of a tiredness in the chest sort of like after doing deadlifts.
    What should be happening?
    Could it be that my triceps are weeker then my chest and my chest needs more weight to be worked?

Thanks again for advice.

Formless-
    It might just be that your tri's are your weak point in the bench. Thus you just need to bring them up and eventually you will feel it, remember; Bench is a compound movement so while it involves the pectorals, it does not isolate them as say a fly would. Think about the squat; while it is primarily used for leg work it does hit your low back and hip structure a bit. So while I do my squats on leg day I expect to feel it to some degree in my low back. Until I bring my low back up to par this will be my weak link in the squat and will be my limiting factor.

Look at working your tri's and maybe bringing them up, if/when you do this you should start to feel it more in your chest. Some people though are just built differently and certain excercises will hit different muscle groups with different emphasis. So while I might feel bench primarily in my chest, a friend of mine might feel it more in his shoulders and arms.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Hey I do the powerlifting type of benching form as mentioned (lowering barbell to lower chest, arched back), today my sternum started to hurt, why?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

If the Bar bounced off your chest it could of bruised your sternum.
    Try and not hit it off your chest, slowly and up again.

Also when i dont keep my back arched i find it harder to bench.
    Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironminded
    Formless-
    It might just be that your tri's are your weak point in the bench. Thus you just need to bring them up and eventually you will feel it, remember; Bench is a compound movement so while it involves the pectorals, it does not isolate them as say a fly would. Think about the squat; while it is primarily used for leg work it does hit your low back and hip structure a bit. So while I do my squats on leg day I expect to feel it to some degree in my low back. Until I bring my low back up to par this will be my weak link in the squat and will be my limiting factor.

Look at working your tri's and maybe bringing them up, if/when you do this you should start to feel it more in your chest. Some people though are just built differently and certain excercises will hit different muscle groups with different emphasis. So while I might feel bench primarily in my chest, a friend of mine might feel it more in his shoulders and arms.

I've encountered this alot as a newbie, only now do I feel I've finally brought weak points up to the point where supporting muscles arent holding me back on compound lifts.

If the Bar bounced off your chest it could of bruised your sternum.
    Try and not hit it off your chest, slowly and up again.

Hmmm, I don't bounce though. I do a slow decent, slight pause, then back up. I never had this problem before...I didn't work out for two weeks though. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Also when i dont keep my back arched i find it harder to bench.
    Why is this?
    probably because when you arch your back you isolate your chest more
    i assume by arch your back you also mean stick out your chest
    a nice tight form is good for benching.. dont lie on the bench like a rag doll
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by albanat0r
    probably because when you arch your back you isolate your chest more
    i assume by arch your back you also mean stick out your chest
    a nice tight form is good for benching.. dont lie on the bench like a rag doll
    Isolate your chest? I don't know about that. When your back is arched, it changes the angle that your upper arms make with your torso. Decline is easier than flat bench for this reason.