The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

periodising bench

hi
    heres the low down guys
    the last 2 months ive been working this plan into training in all my lifts.
    heres an example (bench press day) but i do this with all lifts.

so on chest tricep day, i started off with 70kg bench press, did 5 sets of 4 reps and continued with the rest of the workout. (i do the same with my other lifts, 5 sets of 4 reps with a weight i would be maxed out on 2 reps later so i dont work to failure)

so the next week, i do the same weight, for the same 5 sets, but increase the reps to about 7. so then the next week i will increase a bit more, until i can do that weight at 10 reps. so then i increase the weight so that i am back at 4 reps again for the 5 sets. so i continue increasin reps each week until i get to 10 again.

now..... ive gotten up to 85kg bench press for 9 reps for the 5 sets, and it felt great. that was 3 weeks ago, and since then my bench has been gettin worse.
    would u guys recomend me easing off the reps a bit?
    maybe 5 sets of 4 reps? then slowly adding 1 or 2 reps each week?
    body weight - 150 lbs
    Bench press 9 rep max - 80kg
    Clean and jerk 2 rep max - 70kg
    (Will update other stats later soon)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What's your sticking point?

Is your goal to get bigger, or get a bigger bench?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    im mainly looking for strength gains
    body weight - 150 lbs

You want a big 1RM, or some other RM? For what?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    lol sorry

bigger 4rm or 5rm

i have no spotter, i workout at home, so i dont go any lower than 4 reps.
    body weight - 150 lbs

OK, so you want to improve your 4RM.

Why?

(I'm not being an ass, I just want to help you really clarify your goals)
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    well
    i cant go lower than 4rm or 5 rm because i have no spotter and the weight would be too heavy to lift alone, i dont want to risk dropping it and caving my chest in.

i fight pro MMA and am slowly building up my strength, so that when i come to do plyometrics, i have a stronger strength base. 4 rm or 5 rm is good for strength obvously.

actually, i dont need to be so specific as to do 4rm, i just want to improve over all strength you know.

so im just wondering about opinions on how i can train that above workout for now
    Last edited by catinga; 11-30-2005 at 10:24 AM.
    body weight - 150 lbs

Gonadius Maximus
    I might suggest leave out bench for a little while, work the weak muscles in your bench movement, be it tris,front delts or pecs.

That's why I was asking -

To be a better MMA fighter is a more true goal, yes? I think I would change the rep/set range, and maybe change out the lift and go for a couple of weeks with some other sort of pressing.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.