The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

do people think of bodybuilding as more of a sport or a modelling comp?

?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sport
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Well, if this hasn't been beaten to death already, it should be a pretty interesting and heated discussion.

My personal opinion is that bodybuilding is a beauty pageant. That is not a dig against anyone who is a bodybuilder. I respect their discipline a great deal and they train as hard if not harder than any athlete. BUT, although the contests do require a degree of muscle control and creativity, there is little athleticism involved on the posing stage. Ultimately, it is who looks the best, not about who gives the best performance or trains the hardest.

You could look at it as the training is a sport like any other however the contest could be lookd on as a bit of modeling
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

riprogrammazione
    Models get paid more. Only the top tier of bodybuilders get real cash from endorsements. It's a lifestyle, a hobby for enthusiasts, and a business for the inlcined and capable. Nothing more.

A definition of Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

I'd say the training fulfills this for sure. As far as the onstage stuff... I'd think it would be decently hard work to flex as hard as you can and requires a fair amount of skill (ie; poses and how to flex).

I've never competed but I'd call it a sport
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei

My personal opinion is that bodybuilding is a beauty pageant. That is not a dig against anyone who is a bodybuilder. I respect their discipline a great deal and they train as hard if not harder than any athlete. BUT, although the contests do require a degree of muscle control and creativity, there is little athleticism involved on the posing stage. Ultimately, it is who looks the best, not about who gives the best performance or trains the hardest.
    i manage a vitamin store, and occasionally read mags, and they always make it seem like a sport, but never ever make fitness comps sseem like sport. it always seemed hippocritical (sp?), wanted to see what you guys thought.

i think bodybuilding's great, but i don't see how it is any more of a sport than a miss america pageant. i mean they 'look' more athletic, but they really aren't (well, this is my understanding) even hugely 'athletic'. being that big is unhealthy, they take excesssive drugs, many aren't limber, and many aren't nearly as strong as they look. you could win the olympia even if you had the worst flexibility, couldn't bench anything respectable, and had major health issues.

for miss america, their training leading up to the pagaent is very athletic just like bodybuilding, but by virtue of the preparation we don't call miss america an athlete, just like i don't call a calvin klein model an athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    A definition of Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

I'd say the training fulfills this for sure. As far as the onstage stuff... I'd think it would be decently hard work to flex as hard as you can and requires a fair amount of skill (ie; poses and how to flex).

I've never competed but I'd call it a sport
    how would you call it sport based on that definition? that definition means that bodybuilding training/preparation is a sport, and that the actual competitions are not. it is a long stretch to say a bodybuilding contest requires physical exertion and skill like a 'realer' sport does.

are all those who believe bodybuilding is a sport also in agreement taht a miss america pagaent is a sport?

I'm in 100% agreement with jazer, I dont think it's a sport either. However golf is a sport but you dont have to be "athletic" to play, but at least there is some physical activity.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    how would you call it sport based on that definition? that definition means that bodybuilding training/preparation is a sport, and that the actual competitions are not. it is a long stretch to say a bodybuilding contest requires physical exertion and skill like a 'realer' sport does.

are all those who believe bodybuilding is a sport also in agreement taht a miss america pagaent is a sport?
    How come it means the competitions are not? Flexing = physical exertion... Realer? How about curling... It's undebatably a sport ... I'd say bodybuilders on stage exert themselves ALOT more than curlers... As far as skill; I may be pushing it.. But I'd say the training part makes up for that.. It takes skill to lift properly and one must lift properly to get big.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Yea but I bet the women in pageants also lift weights... in order to look that good, but that doesn't make beauty pageants a sport now does it?

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Yea but I bet the women in pageants also lift weights... in order to look that good, but that doesn't make beauty pageants a sport now does it?
    But on stage they are just posing... Bodybuilders not only pose but flex the entire time too.. Even when they are walking they seem to be flexing.. The good ones can keep a smile on their face... But you can see the effort in most of their expressions...
    Full Powerlifting

Ugh... Maybe I should just give up and say it's not a sport... It seems most people think it's not...
    Full Powerlifting

I thought it was just an event to see who can make their package the smallest.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I thought it was just an event to see who can make their package the smallest.
    LMFAO!!!!!
    Full Powerlifting

I don't see how the physical conditions of those competing can dictate whether or not BB is a sport. Baseball=sport, David Wells=fat-ass, yet the preceding remains true. Whether or not those who compete in any given comepition are healthy, 'athletic' in any sense of the word, or in something resembling 'good' [what ever the hell that means] shape, has nothing to do with some activity being a sport.

Now D. Wells can do things I can't, I can't kill someone with a small ball of wound up twin and leather, he can. However I think, and I could be wrong, that I am more 'athletic' then him. I probably have a higher vertical, can run faster, have better lateral quickness, lower bf%, more stamina and so forth. Even if all this is not true of D. Wells and I, it is certinly true of some of the pro bowlers in this country, and that[bowling] seems to be considered a sport by many [note; not all consider bowling a sport, I understand this, however many do].

It seems to me that if one is going to discuss some activity's qualifications for being 'sport' vs. 'compitition' or 'pagent', one should discuss the activitiy itself and not those involved in it. On this basis I think it would be true that if one is to consider BB'ing a sport one should probably consider beauty pagents a sport also. However a principaled distinction can be made in that the ONLY thing under consideration in BB is the physical specimen, while in most pagents there are also talent rounds, and 'dress' rounds where the clothing is also under consideration.

I think before this question can be answered one needs to lay out the criteria for what is considered a sport, and once that is done, and only once that is done, can the question be answered.
    Last edited by Ironminded; 11-15-2005 at 10:53 AM.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

I think it would be better to say the act of bodybuilding is more of a sport than competitions. However your not competing with anyone. I agree that counting bowling as a sport is pretty sketchy.

Does it really matter? I think its just a hobby. Like bowling, frisbee, and throwing a football. Now maybe if the weights could fight back at us while we were lifting it could be a sport. That would be funny to imagine. But i just think of it as a lifestyle/hobby and a profession for some. Like accounting or business.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Lifestyle/hobby, well said.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I wouldn't call it a sport.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Does it really matter? I think its just a hobby. Like bowling, frisbee, and throwing a football. Now maybe if the weights could fight back at us while we were lifting it could be a sport. That would be funny to imagine. But i just think of it as a lifestyle/hobby and a profession for some. Like accounting or business.
    I just assumed the topic was concerned with competitive bodybuilding, not training. Training, like jogging, is unquestionably not a sport - it is simply exercise and/or a hobby.

lifting weights is not a sport, its training

a bb'ing comp. is not a sport, its modeling
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 11-15-2005 at 02:38 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You find bodybuilding books in the sports section...so...
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You find a lot of BS in the philosophy section of bookstores also, but I don't think that actually means this is philosophy so ...
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    It's a sport, IMO.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."