Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continue Bulk or Cut?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Continue Bulk or Cut?

Hi all, I am currently in mental anguish as to whether i should cut.
    I am 160 lbs 5ft 9.5inches
    Bench Press: 100X6
    Squat : 100X10
    Deadlift: 150X10

Seeing my weight i think i should cut, not because of my bodyweight but my bodyweight in relation to my lifts. Should i cut or should i bulk? I was thinking of bulking to when i can see my abs fully then having a clean bulk. Comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Thorongil; 11-27-2005 at 01:51 PM.

No one can answer this question for you. Bulk until your too fat. Simple as that. Looking at your lifts, I would continue to bulk. 160lbs is small.
    Nick V

I would bulk for another 15-20 lbs but it's really up to you

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorongil
    Seeing my weight i think i should cut, not because of my bodyweight but my bodyweight in relation to my lifts.
    So you conclude that you should cut? lol...

How about you just bring your lifts up in relation to your bodyweight?
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

hardgaining ectomorph
    You and I are very similar to what's going on.

175 lbs 5'11"

Squat 130 x 20
    Deadlift 120 x 20
    Bench 120 x 5

I went with cut because I'm about 20% BF.

If I were 160 I'd be bulking. Just my opinion.
    I'm Dark, I'm Dan...I'm Darkdan
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input. I have peace of mind. Time to drink a pint of milk and 2 cans of tuna :evillaugh
    Last edited by Thorongil; 11-27-2005 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks for the input. I have peace of mind. Time to drink a pint of milk and 2 cans of tuna :evillaugh
    Bulk slower and you'll be happier with the results, imo...
    Current Lifts

Bench - 305
    Deadlift - 495
    Squat - 385

bulk until you at least hit 200lbs.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

If it were me, I would bulk.

But you're the only one who can answer this question. It depends on your goals and what you want to look like. Take a step back and look in the mirror. If you can deal with the amount of fat you have, suck it up and bulk.
    Last edited by bschatz88; 11-27-2005 at 06:02 PM.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Grasshoppa
    Seeing my weight i think i should cut, not because of my bodyweight but my bodyweight in relation to my lifts.
    That is some really weird logic.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

What's your bodyfat % ?

-Eps

Here's how it went for me. Right now I'm trying to bulk, as I weigh 155ish. I eat lots, and lift 3 times a week. Turns out, I have gained muslce mass, but even though I'm trying to bulk, I have lost the small amount of fat I had. So I'm actually not much heavier that when I started (which was only a month ago though, I have to give it more time.)

But really, eating more has got my metabolism up (even more than it already was, I am the type of person who can eat for days and not gain weight) and given me energy and nutrients. The lifting has provided me with excersize to burn the minimal fat I have, and build muscle mass using the nutrients from the food. My friends wonder how I got a 6-pack in a month without workin abs much. Truth is, I had the abs, they were just hidden before.

Depends on how fat you look honestly. I weigh 176 and I'm trying to shed the fat... so I guess 'technically' I'm cutting, but its to lose fat, then put on good size the proper way.

Take whatever amount of calories you're getting right now, add 3000 calories, lift heavily, and ****ing bulk. Cut at 160 and 5 9.5? Not unless you're obese.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I think the part about adding 3000 calories is really bad advice, I hope you were just joking

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    I think the part about adding 3000 calories is really bad advice, I hope you were just joking
    Why is it "really bad advice"? Most of the guys coming on here who hate being small aren't eating nearly enough to bulk correctly. I assume (rough estimate) he's taking in about 2500 per day right now. That's 5500 calories. Granted, he probably won't hit that per day, but he will at least be getting enough calories (hopefully) to bulk and take advantage of all the hard work he'll be putting in. So, that's why it's good advice. Why is it bad?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    hey all found out my bf today. 17.8% I also found out that i have slightly high bp aswell. 139/75. That has got me really scared now. any advice? should i cut to lower bf and bp?
    Last edited by Thorongil; 11-29-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Also at 14 finding out you have higher than normal bp is scary as hell.

What i like to do is this: I cut until i have a six pac and then i bulk until i get tired of it and then i go to six pac and repeat. Note this process takes me a year. 4 months cut, 8 bulk. I like that
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Wannabebig Member
    Lol, my logic is pretty weird i guess but i was in a fragmented state of mind at the time. Btw i have been eating the tuna and milk for weeks beforehand so that was just usual.

P.S dont have a clue about BF% but ive been skinny for all my life and bulking kind of scared me.
    Last edited by Thorongil; 11-28-2005 at 09:27 AM.

My logic is simple and it works. I have four pair of jeans. My 34 relaxed, 34 loose fit, 36 relaxed and 36 loose fit. Currently I have been bulking for 2.5 months and have gained about 15 pounds. Before the bulk I was in the 34 loose, I am now in the 36 relaxed and heading very quickly into the 36 loose fit. Once the 36 loose fit become unbearable then it is time to cut for me.

On my bulk my weights lifted have also skyrocketed. Since the weights have been going up every workout over the last two months I can only conclude that the bulk has most definitely worked. On my cut, a 6-9 month one earlier this year, I was lucky to go up in weight on any of my excercises maybe once every 2 months and at that a very small increase or none at all.

In your case, with your bodyweight and the weights that you are lifting, I would certainly not cut anytime soon. You need to bulk up at least 20 pounds before even considering a cut if your serious about making serious gains in your weights. It is up to you though what your goals are. Good luck in your decision.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input HardToSquat i am going to bulk like hell!!! :evillaugh

Yeah I didn't even read hardly any of this thread and I'm gonna say "bulk".
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

You are taller than me and 40 lbs lighter. BULK!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I feel for you Thorongil. When I was 16 I found out I had a resting bp of 160/90. They did an echocardiogram and found out that part of my heart was so strong it was pumping waaay too hard and not doing so efficiently. They will also probably check you for a kidney blockage. Even if there is one, it's a simple, minor surgical procedure. All they'll do is put a little balloon up through a vein in your leg and into your kidney and that's it.

In my case, it's heredity. So I just take a little 250mg pill every morning and all my problems are solved So just relax, it's more than likely nothing major.

My Exploits